Why Travelocity Sucks: Sorry the lowest Price has changed...

Old October 30th, 2007, 08:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Why Travelocity Sucks: Sorry the lowest Price has changed...

On Oct 26, 11:50 pm, DevilsPGD wrote:
In message mrtravel

wrote:
Not that I disagree with some of the other stuff you are saying, but
when it is 3 or 4 in the morning where you are, it is NOT 3 or 4 in the
morning in most other places.

True. However, it is statistically likely that when I am searching for
a flight between a couple smaller cities that are relatively close,
there aren't a whole ton of Aussies searching that route.

Well that, plus I described how I identified that no one else was
searching that same route through Travelocity at that moment.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

Travelocity is no better than any other travel site, really. I just
saw an article by a guy who was a travel agent and fired for no
apparent reason. So he's getting revenge by posting everything he has
learned on the inside for the general public to see. It's amazing
what he's telling, how to get cheaper everything! There are so many
tricks to the travel biz and he's doing this on purpose. But there is
no way he can be shut up. See it at: www.columbinetravel.biz and see
what you think too. I'll use his tips from now on to get cheaper
everything.

Old October 30th, 2007, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air
branman

On Oct 29, 5:50 pm, "TEP" wrote:
Well, Yes, I think we are. Between any 2 airports (more if one is doing a
multi-city search), there are multiple airlines and a variety of possible
connections. Imagine the time it would take if sites likeTravelocity(but,
insert Orbitz, Expedia, etc.) had to go to each possible airline's website
and insert the parameters of your search in order to arrive at possible
itineraries and prices and then display them in some matrix for you to look
at. Thus, to speed things up to the user, these sites build a large
database a few times during the day and use that for conducting searches.
(Reference my use of "real-time" in my prior post.)

Sorry, I don't buy it. I can imagine exactly what would be required
from a techincal and design perspective. I work in this area and I can
tell you that what I am suggesting is not only feasible, it isn't even
taxing from a hardware, software, throughput, etc. perspective.
Moreover, I have a fairly extensive background in business and I can
say, with at least some certainty, that the reason these sites don't
show you the complete fare upfront has more to do with studies that
have likely shown customers simply book the 'adjusted' fare rather
than spend all day clicking back and forth on their browsers. My guess
is that they have developed revenue models that support their current
setup. I'm saying that it is a short-sited strategy--after using
Travelocity, I now go to the lowest quoted airline and book directly
with them. Anyhow, I'll get off my gripe-box for now.... I've put it
out there... Regards all.

Old October 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air
TEP

Sorry, I don't buy it. I can imagine exactly what would be required
from a techincal and design perspective.

You can "imagine" it, but that doesn't make it true. To quote from here
(http://www.latimes.com/technology/la...es-technology),
"Current technology doesn't allow checking every possible airfare
combination and holding every one of those fares while the customer decides
whether to purchase the ticket."