Pacific Coast Highway drive time?

Old February 9th, 2006, 04:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Pacific Coast Highway drive time?

Hi,

I'm planning a driving vacation from Portland, Oregon to San Francisco.
I will cut across from Portland to the Pacific Coast Highway and take
that most of the way to San Francisco.

I'd like to know, from anyone whose driven this stretch of the highway,
what I should expect for driving time?

Thanks,
DB

Old February 9th, 2006, 05:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

When we make the trip from Seattle to SFO using the coast route we allow two
and a half days....but we usually pack it in no later than 6PM. Not
interested in night driving the 101. The PCH is a wonderful route but the
speed limit for a lot of it is 50mph....justified by the many curves and
hills. You will quite often find yourself stuck in a line behind a truck or
RV; there are turnouts and passing lanes but they never seem to be there
when I need them. One plus is the fact that all of the visual goodies will
be on the right side of the car as you go south.

I have predicated my answer on 101; if you leave 101 at Leggett and go over
to 1, along the beach, add a couple of hours because now we are talking
about a two-lane road.

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old February 9th, 2006, 07:18 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Bob Gardner wrote:
When we make the trip from Seattle to SFO using the coast route we allow two
and a half days....but we usually pack it in no later than 6PM. Not
interested in night driving the 101. The PCH is a wonderful route but the
speed limit for a lot of it is 50mph....justified by the many curves and
hills. You will quite often find yourself stuck in a line behind a truck or
RV; there are turnouts and passing lanes but they never seem to be there
when I need them. One plus is the fact that all of the visual goodies will
be on the right side of the car as you go south.

I have predicated my answer on 101; if you leave 101 at Leggett and go over
to 1, along the beach, add a couple of hours because now we are talking
about a two-lane road.

Thanks. I think we'll stick to the 101. Could you tell me,
approximately, how many hours the drive takes you?

Bob Gardner

- DB

Old February 9th, 2006, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 8 Feb 2006 19:26:37 -0800 in rec.travel.usa-canada,
"thirty-seven" wrote:

I'm planning a driving vacation from Portland, Oregon to San Francisco.
I will cut across from Portland to the Pacific Coast Highway and take
that most of the way to San Francisco.

I'd like to know, from anyone whose driven this stretch of the highway,
what I should expect for driving time?

well, i've done it overnight when we had drivers to switch off.

to allow for breaks, divide the distance in miles by 60 to get
the approximate driving time at 70 mph.

Old February 9th, 2006, 08:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"thirty-seven" wrote:

I'm planning a driving vacation from Portland, Oregon to San Francisco.
I will cut across from Portland to the Pacific Coast Highway and take
that most of the way to San Francisco.

I'd like to know, from anyone whose driven this stretch of the highway,
what I should expect for driving time?

well, i've done it overnight when we had drivers to switch off.

to allow for breaks, divide the distance in miles by 60 to get
the approximate driving time at 70 mph.

Over a long distance on 101 I would figure a 40 mph average tops. You will
want to stop and see some sights, as well as a lot of the road is not
freeway grade road. And by the time you get to Santa Rosa, figure about 25
mph for that stretch. There are RV's and trucks on the road. Every
California CHP car has radar on 101, so do not speed.

Old February 9th, 2006, 01:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

thirty-seven wrote:
Portland, Oregon to San Francisco. I will cut across from Portland to
the Pacific Coast Highway

You probably mean the highway along the Pacific Ocean as the Pacific
Coast Highway is farther than six hundred miles from Oregon.

and take that most of the way to San Francisco.

driving time?

It's a question almost impossible to answer. Yes, mathematically it's
about twelve hours but it's such a beautiful trip that it depends more
upon how often you stop rather than the distance or driving speed.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com
Old February 9th, 2006, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"thirty-seven" schreef in bericht
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm planning a driving vacation from Portland, Oregon to San Francisco.
I will cut across from Portland to the Pacific Coast Highway and take
that most of the way to San Francisco.

I'd like to know, from anyone whose driven this stretch of the highway,
what I should expect for driving time?

Thanks,
DB

Portland to Mc Minville take 99 West
take 18 to Lincoln
101 to Leggett and then Hihgway 1
755 Mile +
Driving Time 15 Hours +

101 all the way to SF 695+ Mile
Driving time 13 Hours +
Driving time depends on traffic, road conditions weather conditions.

Henk.

Old February 9th, 2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Sixteen, give or take. We have made it back to Seattle from Fairfield, CA in
13 hours, but that was by freeway.
Keep in mind that your time will be shorter because your departure is
further south.

"thirty-seven" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old February 9th, 2006, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Assuming you cut over to Hwy 101 from Portland via one of the faster
routes (highway 18 through McMinnville or Highway 20 through Corvallis)
and don't back-track North to Astoria, and then follow highway 101 all
the way through without stopping, you could probably make it in about 16
hours.

Keep in mind that highway 101 will only maintain ocean views for about
30 to 40 percent of the route. There are many places where the highway
cuts inland anywhere from five to 20 miles from the coast and then
doesn't approach the coast again for 50 or 60 miles.