LAM (Mozambique domestic flights)

Old December 27th, 2005, 11:17 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default LAM (Mozambique domestic flights)

Has anyone flown with LAM on domestic routes in Mozambique?
I want to fly Maputo-Pemba-Maputo in Feb. 2006.
I'm specifically interested in how booking/confirmation works.
The web site is very informal. When you "book", you don't get
asked for any credit card details, there is no confirmation email
sent, no-one there responds to email when you send them, and
it's difficult to get any information an the phone, especially if
you don't speak Portugese.
That's all not really enough to plan a trip and just turn up at the
airport hoping to get on the flight at the price you got offered.
What do people do who don't have infinite time and flexibility
in their schedule?
Many thanks for any experiences/advice,
David

Old December 28th, 2005, 01:03 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

In article . com, David
Johnstone writes
Has anyone flown with LAM on domestic routes in Mozambique?
I want to fly Maputo-Pemba-Maputo in Feb. 2006.
I'm specifically interested in how booking/confirmation works.
The web site is very informal. When you "book", you don't get
asked for any credit card details, there is no confirmation email
sent, no-one there responds to email when you send them, and
it's difficult to get any information an the phone, especially if
you don't speak Portugese.
That's all not really enough to plan a trip and just turn up at the
airport hoping to get on the flight at the price you got offered.
What do people do who don't have infinite time and flexibility
in their schedule?
Many thanks for any experiences/advice,

Mmm, the website says (Sic)

"All booking must be placed 48 hours before the flight."

which may be why you can't book for Feb 2006.
--
JohnM
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:19 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Mmm, the website says (Sic)

"All booking must be placed 48 hours before the flight."

which may be why you can't book for Feb 2006.

I assumed that meant 48 hours minimum, not 48 hours maximum.
Seems much more likely to me.

If you took it literally, it would mean EXACTLY 48 hours, which
would of course be impossible to achieve.

David

Old December 28th, 2005, 09:25 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

David Johnstone wrote:

Mmm, the website says (Sic)

"All booking must be placed 48 hours before the flight."

which may be why you can't book for Feb 2006.

Plus of course, you can actually "book" for Feb., and I have done
so. I just don't have anything to show for it and no way of confirming
the "booking".

David

Old December 28th, 2005, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

OK, I need to be fair to LAM on this one.
I just got a personal reply confirming my booking.
I guess they were a bit slow over Christmas, and
it seems their system is not automated like most
airlines, rather somebody personally reads the email
your booking generates from the website and takes
appropriate action.
I now have to pay for and collect the tickets by 4 Feb.,
unfortunately they didn't say how or where to do that
so I'll probably have to wait a bit for that information.
David

Old December 28th, 2005, 07:19 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In article . com, David
Johnstone writes
David Johnstone wrote:

Mmm, the website says (Sic)

"All booking must be placed 48 hours before the flight."

which may be why you can't book for Feb 2006.

Plus of course, you can actually "book" for Feb., and I have done
so. I just don't have anything to show for it and no way of confirming
the "booking".

You're probably right - it's just weird the way they've phrased it.
Anyway, now with your experience we know.

--
JohnM
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:18 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"David Johnstone" wrote in message

Hi David,

I now have to pay for and collect the tickets by 4 Feb.,
unfortunately they didn't say how or where to do that
so I'll probably have to wait a bit for that information.

Did you already paid for ticket ?

And may be you can explane what does mean fare types:
Jacto popular, Super Jacto, Special Fare and etc.
Can I pick any of them ?

Thanks
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:40 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Tundris wrote:
"David Johnstone" wrote in message

Hi David,

I now have to pay for and collect the tickets by 4 Feb.,
unfortunately they didn't say how or where to do that
so I'll probably have to wait a bit for that information.

Did you already paid for ticket ?

And may be you can explane what does mean fare types:
Jacto popular, Super Jacto, Special Fare and etc.
Can I pick any of them ?

I assume as far as they are available you can pick any fare.
There is an explaination on the website under "fares" of
the different conditions associated with each fare.

I couldn't make contact with LAM to arrange payment and
ticket issue. I couldn't understand LAM Maputo on the
phone, or every time I asked if there was anyone who spoke
English they kept me waiting several minutes and then the
line went dead. LAM Johannesburg told me that my booking
number was not in the computer and that an internet booking
could not be considered confirmed.

In the end we made contact with a travel agent in Maputo
who has (hopefully!) done the booking for us. I paid by direct
bank transfer to a Mozambiquan account in US dollar.

David