SIM Card

Old December 12th, 2005, 12:01 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default SIM Card

When I travel abroad I usually purchase a Prepaid SIM Card for my GSM cell
phone. Are these available in South Africa? Who gives good coverage into
Victoria Falls and Cape Town?
Thanks in advance.
Jim

Old December 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Cape Town is in South Africa. Victoria Falls is in a different country.

South Africa has MTN, Vodacom, and Cell C. They are all available as
Pay-as-you-go, from as little as R10. You'd have to get a different sim
card for Vic Falls, which falls between Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Catherine

--
==Not nuts, just a little eccentric==
www.africanbush.co.za

Old December 13th, 2005, 07:40 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

In Cape Town you will need a South African SIM card. I recommend
Vodacom because I think their coverage is best. However you can also
try Cell C and MTM. You can purchase SIM cards almost anywhere

At Victoria Falls you will need either a Zimbabwean or Zambian SIM
card depending on which side you'll be spending most time in. These
can be purchased at Victoria Falls Town (Zimbabwe) , or in Livingstone
(Zambia).

The card you purchase in South Arfica WILL NOT WORK in Zimbabwe or
Zambia in spite of any promises the moronic and incompetent staff
member at the SA cellular shop tries to make. Only contract customers
can have international roaming. You can tell that this is a "pet hate"
of mine...:-)

Regards,
Marc

Old January 8th, 2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Bought a Vodacom SIM card in Johannesburg airport and it did the job.
Thanks for the tip. New Year's eve when I left Cape Town I found a display
of these cards in a shopping center selling the SIM cards for 4.99 R. Too
bad I didn't find it sooner. I almost purchased one for a souvenir.
One thing that did catch me off guard however was my inability to obtain
local currency in Zimbabwe. Spent three days and exhausted all of the USD,
Euros, and Rands I carried. It was my first time there and I didn't realize
that they only accept hard currency from foreigners. Left town with a total
of 20R in my posesson. Really nice people though.
"