Shimba Hills National Park

Old January 15th, 2006, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Shimba Hills National Park

Hi all

I'm hoping to sneak back to Kenya next month for a week (annual Africa 'fix'
required..)
Probably going back to Diani for some R&R, and hoping to go to the Shimba
Hills park up the road.

Has anyone got any useful info or experiences of this park?
In particular, what's the best way to arrange a couple of days there?

I know all (?) the hotels on the beach will arrange trips, but I'm sure I
can do better booking ahead.
Is it better to stay in the lodge, or camping?
Any tips?

Thanks for any info.

Charles

Old January 15th, 2006, 08:19 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message
"Rydale" wrote:

Has anyone got any useful info or experiences of this park?

Hard to say if it's going to be useful *to you*, but I have a page at:
http://www.v-liz.com/safari/shimba.htm

In particular, what's the best way to arrange a couple of days there?

Hard to say what would be best *for you*!

I know all (?) the hotels on the beach will arrange trips, but I'm sure I
can do better booking ahead.

Not necessarily, again it depends what you mean by 'do better'.
If the lodge isn't full, for example, you *might* be able to negotiate
a better 'last minute' deal, but I've never tried - safaris are too
short to waste time haggling.

Is it better to stay in the lodge, or camping?

Again, it's hard to say what would be better 'for you'.
I'd sooner pull out my hair than do rough camping, but you might love
it.
The lodge is absolutely fine (it was in the Block chain when we were
there in July '99 - you can see the typical 'grey month' lighting):
There was the cutest Bushbaby/Galago which came in at dinner time and
went round the tables 'begging' for fruit. We saw no animals or birds
at the waterhole or from the treetop walk: this varies, though - other
reports have mentioned sightings.

Any tips?

We went specifically to see/photograph/draw Sable Antelope and weren't
disappointed, though it took us a while to find them; but when we
went, there were very few other species, even birds, to be seen. aybe
that's July, or maybe just bad luck on the afternoon/morning we were
there. Interestingly 'different' habitat compared to the other parks.

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old January 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

I would agree with Liz's comments. It is not the greatest, but we were
entranced with the elephants and with a fish eagle performing. On an early
morning safari we also saw a marten, particulars forgotten, which the guide
had never seen there before, so you never know.
Peter

Old January 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Thanks Peter and Liz (hi Liz!)

As its a small and less used park, I couldn't find much info in the
'literature' - hence the questions.
I assume that it won't be full if I book when I'm there!

Hopefully there'll be a reasonable amount of wildlife about - its hot and
dry right now, so the waterhole should be in use. Is Sheldrick falls worth
the trek?

I'll be taking pot luck with a Diani hotel this time - whatever I can find
as a last minute deal.
However, the family is letting me out on my own this time, so I won't have
to worry about spiders in the bedroom (wife not keen) or pestering locals
(daughter not keen!)

I guess I'll wait and book something for Shimba from whatever hotel I end up
in.
Any ideas what I might expect to pay for a 2 or 3 day outing to Shimba?
(usual - transfer, accomodation at the lodge, game drives, maybe a bush
walk...)

Cheers

Charles

Old January 17th, 2006, 07:21 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:20:40 GMT, Liz wrote:

Are any Kenya spiders dangerous?

Liz,

in the dry north there's the Hunting Spider, a strange,
fast-running species where the males are orange and the females
light green.

They are feared because their bite can paralyze you for 24
hours, or so the locals say. Still not normally deadly.

I've seen both male and female in Katilu. They are kind of
beautiful. They can run very fast.

But in the north there are also all kinds of scorpions, some of
which are poisonous and whose bite can be very painful.

I'm not sure whether any of these occur near the coast, probably
not, but big spiders are often moderately poisonous.

None of these constitutes a significant risk to tourists.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

I'm no expert on spiders, but did find this guy on Diani Beach last year -

http://www.tomalin.org/bedford/kenya...s/IMG_1535.jpg

I think its a form of Golden Orb spider (Nephila) - around 10-15cm long (oh
yes!) - but no idea if its poisonous.
It was in a colony of half a dozen or so - many webs all in one area.

I did keep a sensible distance.

Charles

Old January 18th, 2006, 11:06 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:32:11 GMT, Rydale wrote:

I'm no expert on spiders, but did find this guy on Diani Beach last year -

http://www.tomalin.org/bedford/kenya...s/IMG_1535.jpg

I think its a form of Golden Orb spider (Nephila) - around 10-15cm long (oh
yes!) - but no idea if its poisonous.
It was in a colony of half a dozen or so - many webs all in one area.

I did keep a sensible distance.

Charles,

no need to be overly careful. Web spiders don't suddenly jump at
you or anything like that. They are usually somewhat poisonous
though, so don't try to pick one out of his net by hand.

The photo is interesting, because there seems to be a female and
a much smaller male.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:42 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Probably going back to Diani for some R&R, and hoping to go to the Shimba
Hills park up the road.

Has anyone got any useful info or experiences of this park?
In particular, what's the best way to arrange a couple of days there?

I know all (?) the hotels on the beach will arrange trips, but I'm sure I
can do better booking ahead.

When we went to Kenya last (about 1982/3? and I think it was in July but
memories are a bit hazy!) we wanted to go to Shimba Hills; we were with
Kuoni (whom I'd normally recommend unreservedly). We asked about reserving
for SH before we went and told it wasnt necessary; we asked the rep in
Nairobi when we arrived (we were doing a safari to Amboseli and Tsavo first
and then going to the beach) and she said it wasnt necessary to book in
advance,we could do it when we got to Mombasa. First thing we did on arrival
was ask rep there to book us 2 days at Shimba - no go, he said, its full.

--
Rita Daggett

Old January 18th, 2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Thanks Rita - forewarned is forearmed.
I have found a couple of 'local' organisers, and I'll ask the question.

Anyone know these guys -

Eyes on Africa
African Mecca Safaris ?

Charles

Old January 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

There was actually a small colony of these guys (or should I say ladies..) -
more in view he
A small male is visible again.

http://www.tomalin.org/img_1540.jpg

One did actually drop onto a guest one evening and he ran around trying to
stamp on it (!).
I managed to pick him up with a stick (the spider that is) and return him to
the bush.

I actually quite like spiders....