Part 10 -- The Grand Kruger Lodge

Old January 18th, 2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Part 10 -- The Grand Kruger Lodge

In planning this part of the South African trip, we carefully
researched all of the options and decided that we wanted to base our
five-day stay near the southern border of Kruger National Park. That
would allow easy access to the Park, Mozambique, Swaziland, and the
mountain Escarpment north of Nelspruit -- all on good roads.

We settled on the Grand Kruger Lodge because it was in the Marloth
Park Nature Conservation area bordering Kruger park, between the
Crocodile and Melelane Park entrance gates and offered guided trips to
all the places we wanted to go. This is a four-star lodge in an area
where the wildlife freely roams through the property.

http://www.grandkrugerlodge.co.za/facilities.html

We were met at the Kruger-Mpumalanga Airport by the owner of the
lodge, Leon Visser, and transported to the lodge that he lovingly
designed. The entrance into Marloth Park is a graveled road off the N4
that leads several miles back into the bush. Along the wayside while
driving in we observed a rhino, several giraffes, zebra, wildebeest
and impala. We had picked the right place to stay.

The lodge itself was very luxurious and staffed by attentive people
(including "Doctor" and "Computer") whose sole purpose was to make our
visit pleasant . And they certainly did that. The meals were all
gourmet delights freshly made with healthy ingredients. Superb South
African wines accompanied the dinner options.

Trips were customized by Leon to take us to the places we wanted to
see, and his 18-year experience in the area made possible trips and
sights that we could never seen without his expertise. Over the next
five days he became a friend as he personally drove us to all the
sights we wanted to see. We are deeply appreciative for his help.

Every day we did something different: a game drive through the
southern section of Kruger, a fascinating trip to the Matsame
Cultural Center on the way to Swaziland city of Mbabane, a day trip
into Portuguese-speaking Mozambique and lunch on the Indian Ocean at
the famous Costa do Sol restaurant in the city of Maputo, a night game
drive operated by the Kruger Park rangers, and a long excursion into
the Escarpment to see wonders like the Pinnacle, the Potholes, God's
Window and the old mining town of Pilgrims Rest.

Leon took us into colorful markets and negotiated low prices for the
things we wanted to buy, got us through the bureaucratic maze at the
border crossings and re-entry into South Africa, told us the history
of the area, and pointed out the dozens of animals and birds that he
knows very so well. THe elephants were the most impressive.

When we reluctantly had to leave after five days, he drove us back to
the Nelspruit airport and bade us farewell. Thanks to Leon's personal
efforts, it was a wonderful visit to this very interesting part of the
world. We now have memories that will last a lifetime.

(The End)

Old January 18th, 2006, 07:49 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default I'm glad to have read these.

Hello Again Caveat
I'm one of the people who responded when you were wondering about the name
issue. I'm glad your experience of Sth African immigration officials was as
painless as mine have been.
Thanks for these posts. I have read them all and I'm really pleased that
your trip
turned out so well.
Perhaps I'll postpone visiting the US though. Air travel there sounds like
a nightmare.

Regards

Michael

Old January 18th, 2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Hello,

I was very glad to read your review of your stay at the Grand Kruger
Lodge and how much you enjoyed it. I myself am booked in to spend some
time there in late Jan. '06. The night game drive operated by the Park
Rangers sounds particularly interesting. I have also made a note of the
other features you mention, such as the Pinnacle, the Potholes, God's
Window and Pilgrim's Rest.
I have heard a lot of people say the elephants were the most
impressive, but I am a big fan of the big cats. I am particularly
looking forward to a horseback adventure through a section of the park.
Thank you for sharing your adventure here, it is both interesting and
informative.

Old January 19th, 2006, 12:38 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

wrote:

I was very glad to read your review of your stay at the Grand Kruger
Lodge and how much you enjoyed it. I myself am booked in to spend some
time there in late Jan. '06...

You'll love it there. Tell Leon and the crew that the couple from
Arizona send their regards

The night game drive operated by the Park Rangers sounds particularly interesting..

They had two rangers on the trip we took -- one with a high caliber
elephant gun to protect us. They have needed that on past trips: one
time a family of lions closed in for a kill of a buffalo they were
after it got hung up in the truck grill guard. The male lion jumped
onto the hood of the truck in that instance. They said it freaked-out
everyone in the vehicle (understandably :-o).

I have heard a lot of people say the elephants were the most
impressive, but I am a big fan of the big cats.

The cats are very secretive and hard to find -- especially leopards.
But the elephants rule. One aggressive male challenged us in Leon's
bush vehicle on a day trip we did. If it had charged we'd be history
because Leon said the elephant could run faster than his truck could
go in reverse. One killed a woman last week in the park.

I am particularly looking forward to a horseback adventure through a section of the park.

I didn't know they did that in Kruger. Sounds like a risky operation
to me -- one big cat could probably get you and the horse in one
attack. They take down huge buffalo without much problem. I trust
that you'll have an armed guide (or three) if you do such a trip.

Thank you for sharing your adventure here, it is both interesting and
informative.

Pleasure.

..

Old January 21st, 2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Hi caveat,
Thanks once again for the information, and for the reply. I certainly
will tell Leon Hi from the couple from Arizona. It all sounds very
exciting....except maybe for the woman unfortunately killed....and the
lion on the hood....

I am particularly looking forward to a horseback adventure through a section of the park.

I should have stated that this is not a part of the Kruger experience,
I have relatives who live there, and they are organising this feature
especially for me. Sorry for the misunderstanding...

Regards, Keith.