OT? playing MP3s while travelling in Europe

Old August 9th, 2006, 12:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Default OT? playing MP3s while travelling in Europe

While I travel in Europe I want to play the MP3 files that I made
from my old vinyl via Ion USB turntable.
The cars I travel in Europe in dont have sockets, only flashier
ones than mine do.
So I can make CDS from MP3s on my PC for that, I assume.Problem
solved.

OK so far, now my home european Hi Fi is almost dead, Ive been
searching around but I cant find what sort of box inputs MP3 into
my Hi Fi, I dont want to tie up the PC playing music and as multi
player CDs seems to have almost disappereard making CDs isnt the
answer.. I think I want a box that holds the MP3s or links by USB
to a hard disc, maybe that also an amp, (my current stuff is
NAD). Does this exist? What do *you* do to play MP3s in Europe?
--
Mike Reid
I will agree bendybuses are a good idea when they build bungalows on Mayfair
Old August 9th, 2006, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith W[_1_]

"The Reid" wrote in message
While I travel in Europe I want to play the MP3 files that I made
from my old vinyl via Ion USB turntable.
The cars I travel in Europe in dont have sockets, only flashier
ones than mine do.
So I can make CDS from MP3s on my PC for that, I assume.Problem
solved.

OK so far, now my home european Hi Fi is almost dead, Ive been
searching around but I cant find what sort of box inputs MP3 into
my Hi Fi, I dont want to tie up the PC playing music and as multi
player CDs seems to have almost disappereard making CDs isnt the
answer.. I think I want a box that holds the MP3s or links by USB
to a hard disc, maybe that also an amp, (my current stuff is
NAD). Does this exist? What do *you* do to play MP3s in Europe?

The simplest and cheapest solution is to get a lead that converts the
3.5 mm jack plug on your mp3 player to two phono plugs that will connect
to the AUX input on your hi-fi

A more sophisticated solution if you have a wireless network is
to get one of the new generation of boxes that fetch mp3's
from your computer via wifi and make it available on demand
at your hifi.

I use a Slimdevices squeezebox that has phono, coax digital
and optical TOS oulets. The server software that runs on the
PC is freeware and supports Windows and Linux

Not only does it provide access to your MP3's but also handles
Internet radio. You can have multiple players on the network
and each player has a headphone socket so with a cheap pair
of active speakers you can have access in any room.

http://www.slimdevices.com/welcome1....FTRGGgodhXNkEQ

I believe Philips have similar offerings

Keith

Old August 9th, 2006, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
BB

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:37:21 +0100, The Reid wrote:

the music on a hard disk. Fit a wifi system to PC which allows
the PC to connect via radio to the Squeezebox, the Sqeezebox
acceses the hard disk via wifi and the server software and the
squeezebox is hard wired to the amp as an input device, you then
choose your tunes from the squeezbox remote.

You'll probably want a wireless router next to your PC. It'll simplify
matters quite a bit, and it won't cost much more than a wireless card for
your PC (your PC probably also has a wired network port, which can plug
into the router). Wi-fi also allows any passer-by access to your computer,
though.

If your PC is close enough, you could just run category 5 computer cable
between your PC and any such box. The speed and reliability will be better
than wifi, and you don't have to worry about security as much. Make sure
you tell the people at the computer shop what you're planning to do, as it
requires a certain (crossover) cable and a bit of address setup.

Depending on how much music you have, DVD players these days can often
play MP3s that are burned onto CD. You should be able to get 8-12 hours on
a CD, depending on the quality you choose, though I would recommend about
192kbps for reasonable quality since home hi fi systems tend to reveal
quality issues. This is the simplest setup.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith W[_1_]

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Keith W

A more sophisticated solution if you have a wireless network is
to get one of the new generation of boxes that fetch mp3's
from your computer via wifi and make it available on demand
at your hifi.

I'll have to look into wifi, have I got this right? I store all
the music on a hard disk. Fit a wifi system to PC which allows
the PC to connect via radio to the Squeezebox, the Sqeezebox
acceses the hard disk via wifi and the server software and the
squeezebox is hard wired to the amp as an input device, you then
choose your tunes from the squeezbox remote.

Absolutely correct

I use a Slimdevices squeezebox that has phono, coax digital
and optical TOS oulets. The server software that runs on the
PC is freeware and supports Windows and Linux

this all sounds more like it, I knew I must be out of date in the
way I'm looking at Hi-Fi.

I assume most people would keep a backup second hard disk of all
the music in case of failure.

Yep I have a USB hard drive which I use for just that purpose

I assume the ipod is the way to go for use on something called
"public transport" :-)

Indeed

Why do I suddenly feel I have a wind up gramaphone? I can see all
the CDs etc possibly being stored and the squeezebox sitting in
thier place!

Which is exactly where I am right now. My car player will play MP3's
recorded on CDRW's and all my CD's are in large boxes in the attic

Keith

Old August 9th, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith W[_1_]

"BB" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:37:21 +0100, The Reid wrote:

the music on a hard disk. Fit a wifi system to PC which allows
the PC to connect via radio to the Squeezebox, the Sqeezebox
acceses the hard disk via wifi and the server software and the
squeezebox is hard wired to the amp as an input device, you then
choose your tunes from the squeezbox remote.

You'll probably want a wireless router next to your PC. It'll simplify
matters quite a bit, and it won't cost much more than a wireless card for
your PC (your PC probably also has a wired network port, which can plug
into the router). Wi-fi also allows any passer-by access to your computer,
though.

I already have a ADSL Modem/Wireless router which I use for
this

If your PC is close enough, you could just run category 5 computer cable
between your PC and any such box. The speed and reliability will be better
than wifi, and you don't have to worry about security as much. Make sure
you tell the people at the computer shop what you're planning to do, as it
requires a certain (crossover) cable and a bit of address setup.

The squeezebox is an 8011.g device so as long as you have a .g
router and .g wifi cards it doesnt slow it up any

Keith

Old August 9th, 2006, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Keith W

I'll have to look into wifi, have I got this right? I store all
the music on a hard disk. Fit a wifi system to PC which allows
the PC to connect via radio to the Squeezebox, the Sqeezebox
acceses the hard disk via wifi and the server software and the
squeezebox is hard wired to the amp as an input device, you then
choose your tunes from the squeezbox remote.

Absolutely correct

what happens if the PC comes under a heavy load of other work,
does the music stop?
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to BB

If your PC is close enough, you could just run category 5 computer cable
between your PC and any such box. The speed and reliability will be better
than wifi, and you don't have to worry about security as much.

I think I would prefer a cabled solution.
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Willshaw[_1_]

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Keith W

I'll have to look into wifi, have I got this right? I store all
the music on a hard disk. Fit a wifi system to PC which allows
the PC to connect via radio to the Squeezebox, the Sqeezebox
acceses the hard disk via wifi and the server software and the
squeezebox is hard wired to the amp as an input device, you then
choose your tunes from the squeezbox remote.

Absolutely correct

what happens if the PC comes under a heavy load of other work,
does the music stop?

Its never happened to me and I often run fairly heavy CPU and IO tasks
like large compiles. The server isnt especially heavy on CPU
but I do have a separate disk for the mp3 files to ease the IO
load. My PC is a 4 year old 1.8 P4 so its not exactly top
line.

Keith

Old August 9th, 2006, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
BB

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 17:58:57 +0100, The Reid wrote:

I think I would prefer a cabled solution.

Usually the wired versions of these devices are less expensive, too - the
wired squeezebox is £33 less at Amazon.

You'll have a little extra/different setup for a direct wired setup
between this system and your PC, but its pretty basic. Feel free to e-mail
if you're interested in details.

Another popular device is the Roku Soundbridge. Philips and DLink sell
less expensive devices, some that support photos & video (via TV). I would
enjoy the ability to watch photo slideshows on the TV.

Old August 9th, 2006, 08:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Willshaw[_1_]

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to BB

If your PC is close enough, you could just run category 5 computer cable
between your PC and any such box. The speed and reliability will be better
than wifi, and you don't have to worry about security as much.

I think I would prefer a cabled solution.

The squeezebox I bought has a wired port too

Keith