Transfers at Amsterdam airport (Schiphol)?

Old October 14th, 2006, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Transfers at Amsterdam airport (Schiphol)?

I am booked on flights from North America to Manchester (UK) via
Amsterdam on KLM.

1) Do I need to clear customs or pick up my baggage in Amsterdam? How
about on the return trip?
2) is 1h20m sufficient transfer time between my flights?
3) Any other info I should know about (extra security checks, etc.)?

Thanks.

Mark.

Old October 14th, 2006, 03:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

I am booked on flights from North America to Manchester (UK) via
Amsterdam on KLM.

I've done this quite a bit- i.e. Manchester to US on KLM (or NW) via
Amsterdam.

1) Do I need to clear customs or pick up my baggage in Amsterdam?

No.

How
about on the return trip?

No. On the return, you will have to pick up your bags at the first US
port of entry though, even if you're transferring to another flight.

2) is 1h20m sufficient transfer time between my flights?

Yes, but don't hang around- go immediately to the gate.

3) Any other info I should know about (extra security checks, etc.)?

At Amsterdam, you will have to go through another security check for
both the leg from Amsterdam to Manchester, and then again from Amsterdam
to US on the return. It shouldn't take too long, but I haven't been via
AMS since the increased security 'situation' in the UK- i.e. since
August.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://www.davidhorne.net/pictures.html http://soundjunction.org
Old October 14th, 2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Jim Ley wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:00:57 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of
the royal duchy of city south and deansgate) wrote:

2) is 1h20m sufficient transfer time between my flights?

Yes, but don't hang around- go immediately to the gate.

Hmm, but Schiphol gates are pretty dull, and 1h 20m is lots of time.

The rest of the airport is a shopping mall except with frequent patches
of cigarette smoke, but regardless, I usually find it pretty tight there
when transferring for a US flight. (It's not as bad the other way
though.) The boarding starts up to an hour before and involves another
security check, and security questioning by people looking at your
passport and pretending to take an interest in the reason for your trip.
You can always hang around near the back of the queue, but I would do it
nearer the gate.

Old October 14th, 2006, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
silvercelt

Hi Amsterdam is a great airport to do transfers esp, with KLM. I have
flown with them to FInland a couple of times, they sort everything out
for you. THey explain on the plane what you need to do. You haven't
to worry about your luggage but you do need to go through
passport/security again. I have done it with only 50 mins between
flights so hopefully you will have no problem. esp. this time of year,

Old October 16th, 2006, 06:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mimi

"Martin" wrote in message

Except KLM and Schiphol together lose more luggage each year than any
other airline. Mainly stuff in transit.
--

Still? I had heard they improved. Not much?

Marianne

Old October 17th, 2006, 06:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Martin wrote:
On 14 Oct 2006 10:41:21 -0700, "silvercelt"
wrote:

Hi Amsterdam is a great airport to do transfers esp, with KLM. I have
flown with them to FInland a couple of times, they sort everything out
for you. THey explain on the plane what you need to do. You haven't
to worry about your luggage

LOL!!!

I think he means that you don't have to worry about carrying your heavy
luggage home with you, as KLM will be delivering it in a van the next
day?

B;

Old October 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_1_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:12:46 -0700, "Mimi" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..

Except KLM and Schiphol together lose more luggage each year than any
other airline. Mainly stuff in transit.
--

Still? I had heard they improved. Not much?

They were still number one in the lost luggage stakes in the last
statistics.
I can see the pile of luggage from where I sit 20km away :-)

Can you have a look to see if my bag is there? It is a black Travelpro.

JohnT

Old October 17th, 2006, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Neil Williams

deansgate wrote:

At Amsterdam, you will have to go through another security check for
both the leg from Amsterdam to Manchester, and then again from Amsterdam
to US on the return. It shouldn't take too long, but I haven't been via
AMS since the increased security 'situation' in the UK- i.e. since
August.

So long as the flight you're connecting to/from isn't a Schengen one
(mainland Europe), Schiphol security takes place at the gate and won't
delay you a lot.

Neil