How is the weather in UK in Nov - Dec (England & Scotland)

Old September 21st, 2003, 09:12 AM
6656

Default How is the weather in UK in Nov - Dec (England & Scotland)

We ( My wife, 2 kids aged 8 and 9 and myself) plan to visit London and
spent a week in england and another in scotland during Nov & Dec this
year.

We like to know how is the weather in these 2 areas during this
period. As long it is not raining all the time, we are ok with it if
not we might have to push back to July 04.

Thanks
Old September 21st, 2003, 09:56 AM
JohnT

"6656" wrote in message
om...
We ( My wife, 2 kids aged 8 and 9 and myself) plan to visit London and
spent a week in england and another in scotland during Nov & Dec this
year.

We like to know how is the weather in these 2 areas during this
period. As long it is not raining all the time, we are ok with it if
not we might have to push back to July 04.

Thanks

It can be reasonably warm and sunny in November and December. Or it can
be bitterly cold with lots of snow. Who can tell? If you are looking for
guaranteed fine weather, then don't make the trip!

JohnT

Old September 21st, 2003, 12:14 PM
Phil Richards

On 21 Sep 2003 01:12:57 -0700 6656 said...

We like to know how is the weather in these 2 areas during this
period. As long it is not raining all the time, we are ok with it if
not we might have to push back to July 04.

Why not take a look at the Met Office's records for UK weather
information:

http://www.metoffice.com/climate/uk/

--
Phil Richards
London, N4
Old September 21st, 2003, 02:08 PM
Jonathan Morton

"6656" wrote in message
om...
We ( My wife, 2 kids aged 8 and 9 and myself) plan to visit London and
spent a week in england and another in scotland during Nov & Dec this
year.

We like to know how is the weather in these 2 areas during this
period. As long it is not raining all the time, we are ok with it if
not we might have to push back to July 04.

Thanks

As others have said, anything may turn up. In this country that applies to
almost any month. However, (and you do need to understand that this is a
sweeping generalisation) there is often a turn in the weather at about the
beginning of December. Before then, snow is very unlikely and you can safely
think of November as being the tail-end of autumn, but from early December
you're very much in winter, though even then it is more likely to be cold
with clear skies rather than snow. When we do get snow in England - and
that's by no means every winter - it tends to be in January or February.

I believe I read somewhere that the most likely months for snow in England
are (in this order) February, January, March, December, April, November,
May, October, June. My experience would support that - and yes I have seen
snow in June.

I'd say late November was by no means a bad time to visit.

I'm not sure what latitude you're from, but the days will be short - and
especially so in Scotland.

HTH

Jonathan

Old September 21st, 2003, 04:10 PM
Alec

"6656" wrote in message
om...
We ( My wife, 2 kids aged 8 and 9 and myself) plan to visit London and
spent a week in england and another in scotland during Nov & Dec this
year.

We like to know how is the weather in these 2 areas during this
period. As long it is not raining all the time, we are ok with it if
not we might have to push back to July 04.

As others have said, the weather will be changeable, but normally no
extremes. What will be certain is short daylight hours. It gets dark before
5 pm in November and 4 pm in December, and in north of Scotland it can be
nearer 3.30 pm. This doesn't affect indoor attractions. Wear your clothes in
layers, and never go out without an umbrella or a coat with a hood, even if
it looks sunny. In July, in contrast, you have very long days, from 5 am
until past 9 pm (I once played golf until 10 pm!).

Alec

Old September 21st, 2003, 04:59 PM
David Horne

Alec wrote:

As others have said, the weather will be changeable, but normally no
extremes. What will be certain is short daylight hours. It gets dark before
5 pm in November and 4 pm in December, and in north of Scotland it can be
nearer 3.30 pm. This doesn't affect indoor attractions. Wear your clothes in
layers, and never go out without an umbrella or a coat with a hood, even if
it looks sunny. In July, in contrast, you have very long days, from 5 am
until past 9 pm (I once played golf until 10 pm!).

In the north of Scotland, you could play much longer. In mid-summer it
never gets completely dark. The sun dips below the horizon, obviously,
but especially on clear nights, it is never more than murky- never dark.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old September 21st, 2003, 06:33 PM
S Viemeister

David Horne wrote:

Alec wrote:

As others have said, the weather will be changeable, but normally no
extremes. What will be certain is short daylight hours. It gets dark before
5 pm in November and 4 pm in December, and in north of Scotland it can be
nearer 3.30 pm. This doesn't affect indoor attractions. Wear your clothes in
layers, and never go out without an umbrella or a coat with a hood, even if
it looks sunny. In July, in contrast, you have very long days, from 5 am
until past 9 pm (I once played golf until 10 pm!).

In the north of Scotland, you could play much longer. In mid-summer it
never gets completely dark. The sun dips below the horizon, obviously,
but especially on clear nights, it is never more than murky- never dark.

Late June/early July, I can sit in my living room (on the north coast of
Scotland) and read the newspaper with just natural light, at 11 in the
evening.