Lifeboat Drill #2

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr[_2_]

Default Lifeboat Drill #2

As long as we were talking about the lifeboat drills I have another
question.

They always tell us that they will know if we take part in the drill or not.

How do they know? There is no roll call.

Old June 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Jr" wrote in message
As long as we were talking about the lifeboat drills I have another
question.

They always tell us that they will know if we take part in the drill or
not.

How do they know? There is no roll call.

On some ships, the cabin stewards check the staterooms.... door to door.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

Cruise Specials Weblog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/

September 19, 2009 Carnival Glory http://www.cruisemaster.com/glory.htm
January 10, 2009 Southern Caribbean
http://www.cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 16, 2010 OASIS http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com

Old June 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

"Jr" wrote in message
As long as we were talking about the lifeboat drills I have another
question.

They always tell us that they will know if we take part in the drill or
not.

How do they know? There is no roll call.

Public areas would be a poor place to hide during a life boat drill, and if
the room stewards check their assigned cabins, the game is up.

Old June 16th, 2009, 12:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Jun 16, 6:11*am, "Jr" wrote:
As long as we were talking about the lifeboat drills I have another
question.

They always tell us that they will know if we take part in the drill or not.

How do they know? There is no roll call.

Well ... between the fact that your cabin number is on your life
vest ... and there is a crew member with a clip board and pen ... I'd
guess they check off the numbers as they see them ...
Besides those crew members outside sweating with us ... there is
another group who's job it is to check rooms and public areas ... I'd
think that those not checked off are scheduled for a subsequent
drill ...

Old June 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr[_2_]

"number6" wrote in message
On Jun 16, 6:11 am, "Jr" wrote:
As long as we were talking about the lifeboat drills I have another
question.

They always tell us that they will know if we take part in the drill or
not.

How do they know? There is no roll call.

Well ... between the fact that your cabin number is on your life
vest ... and there is a crew member with a clip board and pen ... I'd
guess they check off the numbers as they see them ...
Besides those crew members outside sweating with us ... there is
another group who's job it is to check rooms and public areas ... I'd
think that those not checked off are scheduled for a subsequent
drill ...

I don't buy the life jacket number thing. We are told to carry it at our
side until told to put it on. Within 4 minutes of putting it on, we take it
off and carry it back to the cabin. (Not enough people or time to check them
all)
I have never seen a cabin number on the jacket itself either. I will have to
look next time.

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Jr
wrote:

I don't buy the life jacket number thing. We are told to carry it at our
side until told to put it on. Within 4 minutes of putting it on, we take it
off and carry it back to the cabin. (Not enough people or time to check them
all)
I have never seen a cabin number on the jacket itself either. I will have to
look next time.]

The cabin stewards check the rooms. They put red plastic cards in the
card slot after they check the room is vacant. That way they make sure
they have not missed a room. Other crew members check the public areas.
I don't think they check off rooms with the vest but there is number on
the vest but I think they have the room number. I think the number only
indicates what muster station.

--
Charles
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BikeRider50

Charles wrote:
In article , Jr
wrote:

I don't buy the life jacket number thing. We are told to carry it at our
side until told to put it on. Within 4 minutes of putting it on, we take it
off and carry it back to the cabin. (Not enough people or time to check them
all)
I have never seen a cabin number on the jacket itself either. I will have to
look next time.]

The cabin stewards check the rooms. They put red plastic cards in the
card slot after they check the room is vacant. That way they make sure
they have not missed a room. Other crew members check the public areas.
I don't think they check off rooms with the vest but there is number on
the vest but I think they have the room number. I think the number only
indicates what muster station.

We have not gone to the lifeboat drill on the last 6 cruises we went on.
Been there, done that. Never had a problem. Always get the customary
note or letter requiring us to attend the next day, but don't go to that
either and no one has ever said a word about it.
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"BikeRider50" wrote in message
Charles wrote:
In article , Jr
wrote:

[...]

Skipping the drill is no big deal..... unless the boat sinks.

Harry Cooper

Old June 17th, 2009, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

"BikeRider50" wrote in message
We have not gone to the lifeboat drill on the last 6 cruises we went on.
Been there, done that. Never had a problem. Always get the customary note
or letter requiring us to attend the next day, but don't go to that either
and no one has ever said a word about it.

You actually sound proud that you are successfully circumventing the system,
requirements and law. Of course you never has a problem, this was a drill,
not an actual emergency. You may be getting away with it for now, but we all
know your lack of what your suppose to be learning on that ship at that
particular time, will no-doubt be at someone else's expense when you totally
panic if an actual emergency should arise. Let's just hope you don't try to
shove in front of me, for that certainly won't happen. Likewise, also let's
hope you're simply BS-ing all of us anyway, for I can't imagine anyone
really being that stupid.

Old June 18th, 2009, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 6/16/2009 6:11 AM Jr while holding "Agent 99", exclaimed:
As long as we were talking about the lifeboat drills I have another
question.

They always tell us that they will know if we take part in the drill or not.

How do they know? There is no roll call.

They know how many folks are checked into each cabin and they know which
lifeboat station those folks should muster to. A simple head count will
do. BTW the last HAL cruise I too they did a roll call.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera