Brats?

Old September 11th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Brats?

Of course the discussion implies that there is a single entity called
Bratwurst in Germany. Since this isn't true we first would need to have
the Germans agree on what a Brat is. FFM

randee wrote:

Not sure what the distinction is here. Certainly Wisconsin folks
consider Brats a German sausage. In fact there is little taste
difference between the Usinger Brats made in Milwaukee, the Continental
brats made in Denver, the Oltime brats made in Phoenix, and the brats
I've had in the Tyrol. Perhaps the Usinger's are the spiciest. The
original sausage maker at Usinger's was from Germany (I think they are
third generation now). Continental Sausage in Denver is first
generation from Switzerland and the sausage maker at Oltime has his
diploma from a Munich school on the wall. So I'd say American brats
are pretty much the same thing you will find in Germany/Austria/Italy.
--
wf.

"Oh, Guess" wrote:

This one. Bratwurst made in US is a German sausage. I could go
on.

Nope. Bratwurst made in the US is an American-made version of a
German sausage. You go ahead and go to Wisconsin and tell them that
they're eating a German sausage. I'll sit back and laugh while you
get your arse kicked.

Old September 11th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Mika

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

Of course the discussion implies that there is a single entity called
Bratwurst in Germany. Since this isn't true we first would need to have
the Germans agree on what a Brat is. FFM

And the Poles, and the Hungarians, and ...

Old September 11th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:13:11 +0200, Mika wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

Of course the discussion implies that there is a single entity called
Bratwurst in Germany. Since this isn't true we first would need to have
the Germans agree on what a Brat is. FFM

And the Poles, and the Hungarians, and ...

....and the Austrians and the Swiss.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old September 11th, 2003, 04:32 PM
James Silverton

s.com...

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

Of course the discussion implies that there is a single entity called
Bratwurst in Germany. Since this isn't true we first would need to

have
the Germans agree on what a Brat is. FFM

And the Poles, and the Hungarians, and ...

...and the Austrians and the Swiss.
--
Tim.

It's a funny thing but I'd never heard of bratwursts being called "brats"
until reading this thread but I just noticed "brats" on sale in the local
supermarket. However, I'm not a sausage eater anyway so the term might have
been used for a long time!

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old September 11th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Giovanni Drogo

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Frank F. Matthews wrote:

Of course the discussion implies that there is a single entity called
Bratwurst in Germany.

German uses compound words. The verb "braten" means "to roast", the
substantive "Braten" is a roast (*), the compound "Brat wurst" means "a
sausage (Wurst) to be roasted".

(*) e.g. a Putenbraten is a turkey roast, a Sauerbraten is a sour roast.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Old September 11th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Giovanni Drogo wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Frank F. Matthews wrote:

Of course the discussion implies that there is a single entity called
Bratwurst in Germany.

German uses compound words. The verb "braten" means "to roast", the
substantive "Braten" is a roast (*), the compound "Brat wurst" means "a
sausage (Wurst) to be roasted".

(*) e.g. a Putenbraten is a turkey roast, a Sauerbraten is a sour roast.

I could accept that except for the other types of German sausage that
are also roasted. FFM

Old September 12th, 2003, 06:20 AM
David

Giovanni Drogo wrote in message ...
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Frank F. Matthews wrote:

Of course the discussion implies that there is a single entity called
Bratwurst in Germany.

German uses compound words. The verb "braten" means "to roast", the
substantive "Braten" is a roast (*), the compound "Brat wurst" means "a
sausage (Wurst) to be roasted".

(*) e.g. a Putenbraten is a turkey roast, a Sauerbraten is a sour roast.

It can also mean baked,barbecued, broiled and fried. They rarely seem
to be roasted at the street stalls that I buy from in Germany.
"Bratwurst" does seem to be a generic term, but thankfully distinct
from "Hot Dog" which is also in common usage for something of a
different ilk.

Dave
Old September 12th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:58:49 -0500, Darby Jo wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:32:18 -0400, "James Silverton"
wrote:

It's a funny thing but I'd never heard of bratwursts being called "brats"
until reading this thread but I just noticed "brats" on sale in the local
supermarket. However, I'm not a sausage eater anyway so the term might have
been used for a long time!

Maybe it's a regional thing? I grew up in the U.S. midwest and
never heard them called anything but "brats" (pronounced brahts).
Darby Jo

They only seem to be called that in the US.
And your pronunciation seems closer to the german that that I found on some
Website (www.bratwurstpages.com) where it says
"Bratwurst is pronounced with a short A (rhymes with "lot")."
And as a Brit, I can't seem to be able to get "brat" to rhyme with "lot".
:-)

Old September 12th, 2003, 02:09 PM
James Silverton

wrote:

[...]

That's the perennial problem with "sounds like", "rhymes with" etc. It's
obvious to the writer but not necessarily to the reader. As I.C.B Dear's
"Oxford English" says, British English uses four vowels for bat, father, hot
and law but many Americans only three, not distinguishing the sounds in
father and hot.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old September 12th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Frank F. Matthews

David wrote:

Giovanni Drogo wrote in message ...
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Frank F. Matthews wrote:
Of course the discussion implies that there is a single entity called
Bratwurst in Germany.

German uses compound words. The verb "braten" means "to roast", the
substantive "Braten" is a roast (*), the compound "Brat wurst" means "a
sausage (Wurst) to be roasted".
(*) e.g. a Putenbraten is a turkey roast, a Sauerbraten is a sour roast.

It can also mean baked,barbecued, broiled and fried. They rarely seem
to be roasted at the street stalls that I buy from in Germany.
"Bratwurst" does seem to be a generic term, but thankfully distinct
from "Hot Dog" which is also in common usage for something of a
different ilk. Dave

You're right. My memory of Nuremberg Bratwurst is more grilled or fried
than roasted. The other variety I remember as boiled and then grilled
or fried. FFM