Brats?

Old September 12th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Giovanni Drogo

Default Brats?

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Frank F. Matthews wrote:

You're right. My memory of Nuremberg Bratwurst is more grilled or fried

In Regensburg (literally "rain borough") there is an Alte Wurstkueche
(old sausage kitchen) on the riverside, I believe it's at least 600 year
old. I believe they make them on charcoal.

Anyhow they were quite nice, they had baskets with bread on the table
(which for an italian is a great thing, we are bread eaters, while in
Germany, although bakers sell many varieties of excellent bread, in
reastaurants you may or may not find bread according to the dish, some
go with white bread, some with brown, some with potatoes).

The funny thing was at the end when they came for the bill, and asked
how many Broetchen we ate. I replied "all that were in the basket". I
had no idea I should have counted them :-)

is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Old September 12th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Giovanni Drogo wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Frank F. Matthews wrote:
You're right. My memory of Nuremberg Bratwurst is more grilled or fried

In Regensburg (literally "rain borough") there is an Alte Wurstkueche
(old sausage kitchen) on the riverside, I believe it's at least 600 year
old. I believe they make them on charcoal.

Anyhow they were quite nice, they had baskets with bread on the table
(which for an italian is a great thing, we are bread eaters, while in
Germany, although bakers sell many varieties of excellent bread, in
reastaurants you may or may not find bread according to the dish, some
go with white bread, some with brown, some with potatoes).

The funny thing was at the end when they came for the bill, and asked
how many Broetchen we ate. I replied "all that were in the basket". I
had no idea I should have counted them :-)

That would be what I referred to as grilled. I don't remember the Brats
in Regendberg. Were they the little ones like Nuremberg?

FFM

Old September 13th, 2003, 12:21 AM
randee

The brats I had in Italy from the street stands were also grilled,
rather than roasted. Can't say I've ever seen them other than grilled.
Flavorwise they were similar to the milder U.S. ones, say like those
from Continental.

Here in the US you do find a few varieties of brats, the usually
distinction between being 'coarse ground' and 'fine ground'. The
'regular' brats from the Munich trained sausage maker at Oltime in
Phoenix are fine ground and more mildly seasoned than, say, those from
Usinger's in Milwaukee. Continental Sausage in Denver makes a 'Swiss'
style (the sausage makers were from Switzerland originally) which is
very fine ground, mild in flavor, and made with veal, pork, and milk. I
gather some of the styles are just made with pork, no veal; you have to
specify 'veal brats' or 'Weisswurst' if you want the ones made with
veal.
--
wf.

David wrote:

It can also mean baked,barbecued, broiled and fried. They rarely seem
to be roasted at the street stalls that I buy from in Germany.

Old September 13th, 2003, 01:55 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

David wrote:

It can also mean baked,barbecued, broiled and fried. They rarely seem
to be roasted at the street stalls that I buy from in Germany.
"Bratwurst" does seem to be a generic term, but thankfully distinct
from "Hot Dog" which is also in common usage for something of a
different ilk.

And I remember my youthful disappointment when I bought a can of "Vienna
Sausage", expecting something exotic, only to encounter a tinned version
of the lowly hot dog (which I never much cared for, fresh - at least not
the mass-produced ones my mom bought).
Old September 13th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Keith Anderson

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:44:33 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

Of course the discussion implies that there is a single entity called
Bratwurst in Germany. Since this isn't true we first would need to have
the Germans agree on what a Brat is. FFM

I doubt if you'll ever get Germans to agree on a single definition -
many places will sell you a "Bratwurst" but charge you more for a
"Thüringer" Bratwurst.

This gives a list (in German) of the main types:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratwurst

and scroll down - there's also a link to a site about the firt
Bratwurst in America at the bottom of the page.

In fact, there's a place in Franconia (Sulzfeld) where they produce a
one-meter Bratwurst, a local speciality.

There are a number of places selling them - each one claiming that it
is THE home of the one-meter product, so it's difficult for the
Germans to agree!

http://de.geocities.com/sulzfeld_mai...rbratwurst.htm
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Alan Thomas Harrison

My abiding memory of Bratwurst is the little American boy of about two
in a Swiss hotel, who exclaimed as the waitress brought Bratwurst, "Gee
brat-worst! We're having American food tonight."

Alan Harrison
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Alan Thomas Harrison

Keith Anderson wrote:
This gives a list (in German) of the main types:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratwurst

and scroll down - there's also a link to a site about the firt
Bratwurst in America at the bottom of the page.

Not quite, Keith. It's about "the last Bratwurst before America" served
on the west coast of Portugal.

Alan Harrison
Old September 19th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Carole Allen

"Alan Thomas Harrison" wrote in message
My abiding memory of Bratwurst is the little American boy of about two
in a Swiss hotel, who exclaimed as the waitress brought Bratwurst, "Gee
brat-worst! We're having American food tonight."

Alan Harrison

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 05:51:54 -0500, "Stephen Ellenson"
wrote:Sorry I'm entering this discussion
late but in my part of the usa where many
Germans (and Poles, Norwegians, Swedes, Finns, Hmong, and Welsh) settled,
brats are american food that are grilled after being boiled in beer with
onions before GB Packer games. Served with a hot mustard, more onions,
sometimes kraut, and always more beer :-)

Slightly OT ; I was once at a street fair in San Diego that had a stand
selling brats. They were red sausages that looked like what is known as
Polish sausage in the midwest. Just didn't quite do it.

"Brat" is the Croatian word for brother.

Old September 19th, 2003, 03:56 AM
randee

In the midwest (USA) I know, brats (i.e. bratwursts) are definitely
considered a German style sausage. Kielbasa is probably the most well
known Polish style sausage (and it is certainly not red!). In fact, I
would consider red sausage in the US an abomination except for a few
Hungarian styles heavy on the paprikash. As an aside, the best kielbasa
in the USA does not come from New York, Chicago, Phoenix or Milwaukee,
but rather from a small Ukrainian sausage shop just outside Detroit, in
Dearborn, Michigan.

Haven't tried kielbasa (or it's relatives such as kabanosche) overseas
yet, but the sausage maker's here in the US that came from the old
country claim the US versions are just as good or better.

Here's Good Eating To You!
--
wf.