Brats?

Old September 19th, 2003, 04:00 AM
randee

Default Brats?

Probably where the slang term of brat for a naughty boy originated......
Altho brat and brat are pronounced differently in English.
Do you find bratwursts, or some equivalent in Croatia?

Carole Allen wrote:

"Brat" is the Croatian word for brother.

--
wf.
Wayne Flowers

Old September 19th, 2003, 04:04 AM

Carole Allen wrote:

"Brat" is the Croatian word for brother.

Etymology: perhaps from English dialect brat (coarse garment)

Old September 19th, 2003, 04:57 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Kielbasa

In my experience Kielbasa comes in both smoked & fresh. The smoked
variety looks a bit reddish like most smoked meat. FFM

randee wrote:
In the midwest (USA) I know, brats (i.e. bratwursts) are definitely
considered a German style sausage. Kielbasa is probably the most well
known Polish style sausage (and it is certainly not red!). In fact, I
would consider red sausage in the US an abomination except for a few
Hungarian styles heavy on the paprikash. As an aside, the best kielbasa
in the USA does not come from New York, Chicago, Phoenix or Milwaukee,
but rather from a small Ukrainian sausage shop just outside Detroit, in
Dearborn, Michigan.

Haven't tried kielbasa (or it's relatives such as kabanosche) overseas
yet, but the sausage maker's here in the US that came from the old
country claim the US versions are just as good or better.
wf.

Stephen Ellenson wrote:
Sorry I'm entering this discussion late but in my part of the usa where many
Germans (and Poles, Norwegians, Swedes, Finns, Hmong, and Welsh) settled,
brats are american food that are grilled after being boiled in beer with
onions before GB Packer games. Served with a hot mustard, more onions,
sometimes kraut, and always more beer :-)

Slightly OT ; I was once at a street fair in San Diego that had a stand
selling brats. They were red sausages that looked like what is known as
Polish sausage in the midwest. Just didn't quite do it.

Old September 19th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Stephen Ellenson

"Alan Thomas Harrison" wrote in message
My abiding memory of Bratwurst is the little American boy of about two
in a Swiss hotel, who exclaimed as the waitress brought Bratwurst, "Gee
brat-worst! We're having American food tonight."

Alan Harrison

Old September 19th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Deep Freud Moors

Frank F. Matthews wrote in message
news
In my experience Kielbasa comes in both smoked & fresh. The smoked
variety looks a bit reddish like most smoked meat. FFM

Best kielbasa I've had was in Torun, Poland. Served best with a beer or two.
Mmmmmmmm....
---
DFM

Old September 19th, 2003, 08:23 PM
randee

Hmm, I think I would have called the smoked sausages a brown on the
outside, a deeper brown than the fresh sausages. Now I have seen
commercial smoked sausages that I would call red, but I stay away from
those as the label will usually make a comment about color added (heh,
red dye #2). I tend to get the smoked meats and sausages from true one
man sausage shops, such as Oltime and Markowitz's. Two large commercial
brands that are good are Continental and Usinger's, both having started
out as one man operations. But I'm not sure I'd call any of theirs as
having a red tint, guess I'll pay closer attention next purchase.

I have hardly tried any sausages at all in the old country, and I'm
really curious to see if they differ much. Guess we'll spend some time
in the Austro-Hungarian Empire area next trip.......
--
wf.

Old September 20th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Trudi Marrapodi

In article , randee wrote:

Hmm, I think I would have called the smoked sausages a brown on the
outside, a deeper brown than the fresh sausages. Now I have seen
commercial smoked sausages that I would call red, but I stay away from
those as the label will usually make a comment about color added (heh,
red dye #2).

[snip]

It may or may not reassure you to know that red dye #2 hasn't been used
since 1976.
--
Trudi
Old September 20th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Carole Allen

Didn;t look for it while we were there...we did get into local
specialities...wanted to see how they compared to mine (made from
grandma's recipes)...it turns out my versions of their foods are
pretty close...

Old September 21st, 2003, 02:44 AM
Såndor, the Gypsy Baron

deepfloydmars wrote:

Best kielbasa I've had was in Torun, Poland.
Served best with a beer or two.
Mmmmmmmm....

Well, you never had kielbasa from the "Kielbasa Capital of the World,"
Shenandoah, PA :-) :-)

Sandor

Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:05 PM
Giovanni Drogo

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Regensburg (literally "rain borough")

It's named after river "Regen" though, not its weather. Originally a
Roman settlement "Castra Regina" (same meaning).

Well, "regina" in Latin means "queen".

Anyhow I find quite amusing the translation of geographic names into
another language. Ever tried e.g. to translate "Liverpool" or
"Washington" into German (or Italian) :-) There was an amusing trend on
it.cultura.linguistica.italiano a while ago about funny translations of
geographic names.

A real one I liked was a grave stone in a church in Wuerzburg about an
"archiepiscopus herbipolensis".

is a newsreading account used by more persons to