testing jet engines

Old January 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

Default testing jet engines

"jamoran" wrote in message
.. .
I know fighter Jet canopies are tested by firing frozen chickens at them

No they're not.

Military aircraft canopies are tested by dropping a standard object from a
series of different heights and the resultant crater measured.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 28th, 2009, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bob Myers

"William Black" wrote in message

"jamoran" wrote in message
.. .
I know fighter Jet canopies are tested by firing frozen chickens at them

No they're not.

Military aircraft canopies are tested by dropping a standard object from a
series of different heights and the resultant crater measured.

Well, actually, there IS - or at least used to be - a "chicken cannon"
at Goodyear Aerospace near Phoenix, AZ; I've seen it. But the OP
is sadly mistaken if he thinks the thing ever fired *frozen* chickens
as part of any serious testing.

Bob M.

Old January 28th, 2009, 11:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Doe[_2_]

Bob Myers wrote:

is sadly mistaken if he thinks the thing ever fired *frozen* chickens
as part of any serious testing.

They buy frozen chickens. They fire thawed chickens.

And they also have explosives at the root of a few blades which they
detonate to ensure that the now loose blades will be contained.
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Kev[_4_]

On Jan 28, 5:13*pm, "Bob Myers" wrote:
"William Black" wrote in message

"jamoran" wrote in message
. ..
I know fighter Jet canopies are tested by firing frozen chickens at them

No they're not.

Military aircraft canopies are tested by dropping a standard object from a
series of different heights and the resultant crater measured.

Well, actually, there IS - or at least used to be - a "chicken cannon"
at Goodyear Aerospace near Phoenix, AZ; I've seen it. *But the OP
is sadly mistaken if he thinks the thing ever fired *frozen* chickens
as part of any serious testing.

Bob M.

I believe they've stopped using actual poultry and have developed a
standard test article constructed of a gelatin and wood.
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bob Myers

"John Doe" wrote in message
Bob Myers wrote:

is sadly mistaken if he thinks the thing ever fired *frozen* chickens
as part of any serious testing.

They buy frozen chickens. They fire thawed chickens.

Right. Or whatever chickens they can get. The point is that
what comes out of the "cannon" and hits the canopy is not
a frozen carcass. (GA tests - or at least did when I was there
to see it - fighter canopies, etc., not engines. It was part of
what they called their "Transparent Armor" operation.)

Bob M.

Old January 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Bob Myers

"Kev" wrote in message
Well, actually, there IS - or at least used to be - a "chicken cannon"
at Goodyear Aerospace near Phoenix, AZ; I've seen it. But the OP
is sadly mistaken if he thinks the thing ever fired *frozen* chickens
as part of any serious testing.

Bob M.

I believe they've stopped using actual poultry and have developed a
standard test article constructed of a gelatin and wood.

That would make a lot of sense, from the repeatability and
consistency perspective and quite possibly on a cost basis, at
least if they're getting their chickens from the same market
I shop at...:-) It would also silence, hopefully, some of the
criticism from the animal-rights sorts, whom I recall were giving
them some grief - having somehow come to believe that
they were occasionally loading *live* birds into the cannon.
(Right - like the test techs would have nothing better to do than
to try to round up live chickens and somehow get them into
the breech.....:-))

With the chickens, though, it sure did make an impressive
splatter. The canopies they were testing at the time were
heavy-duty things; it was not so much a matter of looking
for cracks and holes as it was hosing the former chicken
off the thing and seeing if it had somehow been
*scratched*...;-)

Bob M.

Old January 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"Kev" wrote in message
On Jan 28, 5:13 pm, "Bob Myers" wrote:
"William Black" wrote in message

"jamoran" wrote in message
. ..
I know fighter Jet canopies are tested by firing frozen chickens at them

No they're not.

Military aircraft canopies are tested by dropping a standard object from
series of different heights and the resultant crater measured.

Well, actually, there IS - or at least used to be - a "chicken cannon"
at Goodyear Aerospace near Phoenix, AZ; I've seen it.

And I've seen the one at Rolls Royce in Derby.

But it was used to test bird strike on engines not canopies.

I've also seen the jet fighter canopy testing unit at BAE Preston where they
drop (dropped? It may have closed now) ball bearings onto jet fighter
canopies...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 30th, 2009, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
Bob Myers wrote:

is sadly mistaken if he thinks the thing ever fired *frozen* chickens
as part of any serious testing.

They buy frozen chickens. They fire thawed chickens.

Mr. ja moran has been sending funky posts for quite some time now. The
"frozen" part of the story was taken from a humorous article. The subject
was just a result of Mr. moran's reading comprehension problem.

Old January 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Kev" wrote in message
On Jan 28, 5:13 pm, "Bob Myers" wrote:
"William Black" wrote in message

"jamoran" wrote in message
. ..
I know fighter Jet canopies are tested by firing frozen chickens at
them

No they're not.

Military aircraft canopies are tested by dropping a standard object
from a
series of different heights and the resultant crater measured.

Well, actually, there IS - or at least used to be - a "chicken cannon"
at Goodyear Aerospace near Phoenix, AZ; I've seen it.

And I've seen the one at Rolls Royce in Derby.

But it was used to test bird strike on engines not canopies.

Did they all have chicken soup after the tests were completed?

Old January 31st, 2009, 08:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

m...

"Kev" wrote in message
On Jan 28, 5:13 pm, "Bob Myers" wrote:
"William Black" wrote in message

"jamoran" wrote in message
. ..
I know fighter Jet canopies are tested by firing frozen chickens at
them

No they're not.

Military aircraft canopies are tested by dropping a standard object
from a
series of different heights and the resultant crater measured.

Well, actually, there IS - or at least used to be - a "chicken cannon"
at Goodyear Aerospace near Phoenix, AZ; I've seen it.

And I've seen the one at Rolls Royce in Derby.

But it was used to test bird strike on engines not canopies.

Did they all have chicken soup after the tests were completed?

Doubtful.

I imagine the jet fuel adds a sort of 'techno' taste to the remains...

--
William Black

Time for tea.