Screw Thrombosis, I Like The Window Seat

Old January 28th, 2009, 03:32 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

Default Screw Thrombosis, I Like The Window Seat

These are neat--distortions or whatever--although now you'll be
thinking twice before requsting a window, middle, or aisle seat

http://news.aol.com/health/article/w...d-clots/319462
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Robert Cohen writes:

These are neat--distortions or whatever--although now you'll be
thinking twice before requsting a window, middle, or aisle seat

http://news.aol.com/health/article/w...d-clots/319462

The risk of DVT is low in people who are in otherwise good health.
Additionally, the risk is the same whether you are sitting next to a window or
sitting on a couch at home. Immobility increases the risk, not air travel.
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message Mxsmanic
was claimed to have wrote:

Robert Cohen writes:

These are neat--distortions or whatever--although now you'll be
thinking twice before requsting a window, middle, or aisle seat

http://news.aol.com/health/article/w...d-clots/319462

The risk of DVT is low in people who are in otherwise good health.
Additionally, the risk is the same whether you are sitting next to a window or
sitting on a couch at home. Immobility increases the risk, not air travel.

It makes sense that there is a statistical correlation between people
sitting in the window seat and DVT, but correlation is not causation.

I'm not at a higher risk for DVT because I prefer a window seat, I'm at
a higher risk for DVT because I don't generally feel the need to leave
my seat for most of my flights. I choose a window seat so that I don't
need to move when I get stuck beside a passenger that needs a washroom
break four times in a three hour flight.
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

http://news.aol.com/health/article/w...to-blood-clots...

The risk of DVT is low in people who are in otherwise good health.
Additionally, the risk is the same whether you are sitting next to a window or
sitting on a couch at home. *Immobility increases the risk, not air travel.

un blood clot preventative

Mayor Bloomberg says, cut down the blood pressure raising salt to
restaurants etal in nyc, and is being regarded as a nanny, but i doubt
if voters would use that and the infamous no smoking in bars directive
for a substantive rationale to vote him out, tho hasn't he hurt the
restaurant and bar binesses?

well, the airlines could have a (voluntary) thing in which people are
encouraged to stand up and sit down
stand and sit, stand and sit every hour or two or three hours or
whatever exercise(s) is considered appropos

i recall worrying about the phenomenon flying across the Atlantic
pond, and i did go to the head a coupla times, and also walked a
little extra

comment on proposition that airlines should tout preventing
thrombosis, or wouldn't some get more annoyed than i am with
rigamarole a la:

turn off mp-3 et cetera when taking off and landing
how to pull down oxygen, note the door in middle, ...
thank you for flying with Acme Air at least 2 times
buh-byuh, tho have they said that since david spade trademarked it on
SNL?
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
DevilsPGD wrote:

I'm not at a higher risk for DVT because I prefer a window seat, I'm at
a higher risk for DVT because I don't generally feel the need to leave
my seat for most of my flights. I choose a window seat so that I don't
need to move when I get stuck beside a passenger that needs a washroom
break four times in a three hour flight.

Also there are suggested exercises for one to do IN the seat that
supposedly help. I don't think I have seen any actual research either
way, though.
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Kurt Ullman writes:

Also there are suggested exercises for one to do IN the seat that
supposedly help. I don't think I have seen any actual research either
way, though.

Except for people who truly have serious, preexisting cardiovascular problems,
the risk of DVT is enormously exaggerated.
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message Mxsmanic
was claimed to have wrote:

Kurt Ullman writes:

Also there are suggested exercises for one to do IN the seat that
supposedly help. I don't think I have seen any actual research either
way, though.

Except for people who truly have serious, preexisting cardiovascular problems,
the risk of DVT is enormously exaggerated.

True enough, but most risks to do with flying are entirely unrealistic,
so why not add one more?
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sancho Panza[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Robert Cohen writes:

These are neat--distortions or whatever--although now you'll be
thinking twice before requsting a window, middle, or aisle seat

http://news.aol.com/health/article/w...d-clots/319462

The risk of DVT is low in people who are in otherwise good health.
Additionally, the risk is the same whether you are sitting next to a
window or
sitting on a couch at home. Immobility increases the risk, not air
travel.

"The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Prevent Deep Vein Thrombosis a 10
nd Pulmonary Embolism

Section I Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism as Major Public Health
Problems

Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism (DVT/PE) represent a major
public health problem, exacting a significant human and economic toll on the
Nation. These common conditions affect hundreds of thousands of Americans
each year. A 25-year population-based study published in 1998 found that the
overall age- and sex-adjusted annual incidence of VTE was 1.17 per 1,000
(.48 per 1,000 for DVT and .69 per 1,000 for PE) 8.

Applying these figures to today's population of approxi-mately 300 million
Americans suggests that more than 350,000 individuals are affected by DVT/PE
each year 9. A 1991 study that extrapo-lated findings from 16 short-stay
hospitals in Worcester, Massachusetts is fairly consistent with these
estimates. This study found that approximately 270,000 individuals were
hospi-talized for DVT/PE in 1991, including 170,000 new cases and 99,000
recurrent ones 10. But there is reason to believe that the true incidence
rate (and total number of cases) could be significantly higher, as several
studies suggest that these diseases are often undiagnosed.

The Worcester study cited above also concluded that more than half of the
cases that actually occur are never diagnosed, and therefore as many as
600,000 cases may occur each year 10. Another study found that the diagnosis
of PE is often missed; this study of nursing home patients found that the
condition was correctly diagnosedbefore death in only 39 to 50 percent of
patients where it was confirmed in an autopsy 11, 12.

Whilethe precise incidence and prevalence remain "elusive" 10 and a matter
of some debate, one thing is undeniably clear-DVT/ PE are major national
health problems that have a dramatic, negative impact on the lives of
hundreds of thousands of Americans each year.

There is reason to believe that the magnitude of the problem will increase.
Several studies have found that the incidence has remained relatively stable
over time 8, 13, although one study found an increased incidence of DVT in
hospitalized patients between 1979 and 1999 14. Assuming that the overall
incidence remains the same, one would expect the total number of DVT/PE
cases to grow at the same rate as overall popu-lation growth.

However, the incidence of DVT/PE increases markedly with age. Thus, as the
United States population increases in average age, it is quite possible
that, in the absence of other influences such as better prevention, the
growth in the total number of DVT/PE cases will outpace population growth.

Given that DVT/PE are already common and devastating conditions, it is
imperative that all stakeholders come together to halt, and hopefully
reverse, the growth in the number of cases. What Are the Consequences of DVT
and PE?MortalityDVT and PE together may be responsible for more than 100,000
deaths each year. DVT alone does not frequently result in death; the
National Center for Health Statistics reports that it is an underlying or
contributing cause of death in over 10,000 cases per year 15. PE is
responsible for many more deaths, although estimates of the exact toll are
also elusive 10 and vary widely, ranging from just below 30,000 to over
80,000.

The most conservative estimates come from studies that review death
certificate data. A 20-year review of data from 1979-1998 found that the
age-adjusted death rate for PE was 94 per 1,000,000 individuals 16.
Extrapolating to today's population suggests that an estimated 28,200 people
die each yearfrom this disease. But as noted previously, PE is often
undiagnosed, and thus the true death rate is almost certainly substantially
higher. In fact, community-based epidemiological studies suggest that
roughly one in five individuals die almost immediately from PE, while 40
percent die within 3 months 17, 18. Applying this 40 percent figure to the
207,000 recognized annual PE cases cited earlier suggests an annual death
rate of 82,800.

Another way to estimate the death toll is to look at statistics related to
both diseases. An estimated 30 percent of patients die within 3 months 6.
Applying this 30 percent figure to the previously cited estimates of between
350,000 and 600,000 cases each year suggests that at least 100,000, and
perhaps as many as 180,000, individuals die directly or indirectly as a
result of DVT/PE each year.

Morbidity

Many of those who survive will be affected for the rest of their lives. At a
minimum, those who have had DVT or PE will remain at increased risk for
another episode. (See figure 1). Roughly 30 percent of those who have a DVT
in a given year will suffer from a recurrent episode sometime in the next 10
years, with the risk being greatest in the first two years 5, 6, 19, 20.
Recurrence is also more likely if the initial episode was "spontaneous"-that
is, not provoked by transient (often one-time) events such as trauma,
surgery, or hormonal changes due to pregnancy, oral contraceptives, or
hormone replacement 4, 5.

surgeongeneral.gov

Old January 30th, 2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
DevilsPGD wrote:

I'm not at a higher risk for DVT because I prefer a window seat, I'm at
a higher risk for DVT because I don't generally feel the need to leave
my seat for most of my flights. I choose a window seat so that I don't
need to move when I get stuck beside a passenger that needs a washroom
break four times in a three hour flight.

Also there are suggested exercises for one to do IN the seat that
supposedly help. I don't think I have seen any actual research either
way, though.

I'm one that does those exercises in my seat. It relieves the "jumpiness"
that's felt in the legs when sitting for a long time.