Jamaica

Old September 19th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Bingo

Default Jamaica

First time going to Jamaica. What tours are recommended? Any good
restaurants and bars? Will be staying around Montego Bay.

Thanks All
Bingo

Old September 19th, 2003, 02:54 AM
nospam

Margarettaville, Margaret's by the Sea, The Pork Pit (for good Jerk
chicken).
for tours, Croydon, Appleton Rum Estate, and Martha Brae Rafting.

Old September 19th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Kjetil Hugin

You have to go to Negril

"nospam" skrev i melding
. ..

Old September 21st, 2003, 06:49 PM
Malvut1

Ditto on Negril,
It's getting a little expensive,
but it's worth a day trip.

Go up to Johnno's little bar
right across the street from
Home Sweet Home in the
West End on the Cliffs for a Red
Stripe (you'll get a feel for what Negril was like 30 years ago), Have
Lunch at Rock House and
Dinner at XTabi
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Comcastnews

how far from MBJ to Negro? Any better car rental places in MBJ?

Ann
www.bonairecaribbean.com

Old September 29th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Comcastnews

Default OOPS

opps...my spell check may have corrected Negril in a strange way and I sent
it..sorry..too early to think ..

Peace

Ann

Old September 29th, 2003, 12:44 PM
onelove

If you can handle being a bit farther than an hour from Mobay, you may want
to consider the Jamaican south coast. From a bit west of the Black River
thru east to the Treasure Beach area is a beautiful, as yet unspoiled bit of
old Jamaica paradise.

There are dozens of small guest houses directly on the beach. Some of them
are "all inclusive" but that just means that you can accompany them to the
local markets, help them cook if you wish, and eat as part of the family.

You will not run into the higglers that are pervasive in the more touristy
areas but will instead enjoy the true Jamaican hospitality.

I have just recently discovered the area myself. I have been to Jamaica
over 50 times in the last 10 years and consider it my favorite island, but I
never have wanted to live there until I discovered this area. I will
probably retire there.

Old September 29th, 2003, 12:48 PM
onelove

By the way, I recommend hiring a driver rather than renting. Rentals a very
expensive, heavily taxed, and you MUST buy their insurance since most US
insurance companies and credit card insurances specifically deny Jamaican
coverage. Driving in Jamaica is VERY difficult and dangerous. It is the
only island that I will not drive in.

Old September 29th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Rhythmwize

In article , onelove says...

Driving in Jamaica is VERY difficult and dangerous. It is the
only island that I will not drive in.

I agree wholeheartedly...the worse thing about Jamaica is not the crime or
agressive vendors, its the reckless driving that puts your life at risk.
I would not drive there either as special skill and local experience are needed.
Most of the time I hire JUTA taxi drivers which cost nearly twice as much but
will drive carefully at the speed in which you are comfortable with...This
reduces the risk significantly. Is your life worth an extra $30? The last time
I checked, Jamaica had the third highest vehicle fatality rate per mile of any
country in the world.

john

Old September 30th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Comcastnews

Wow..any phone numbers to arrange this? I have driven all over the
Caribbean..it's worse than Antigua?

Annie
www.bonairecaribbean.com

In article , onelove says...