Renting Scooters in Negril?

Old January 21st, 2004, 02:27 PM
Edward Myers

Default Renting Scooters in Negril?

Has anyone had experience renting scooters or mopeds in Negril? We
will be staying at the Couples Negril next week and think scooters
might be fun. Any Cautions? Is it safe to venture out with another
couple? Can we leave them parked outside a market etc.? Any
suggestions on what not to miss? Approximate cost?
Thanks for any hints!
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:16 PM
Proctor

"Edward Myers" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone had experience renting scooters or mopeds in Negril? We
will be staying at the Couples Negril next week and think scooters
might be fun. Any Cautions? Is it safe to venture out with another
couple? Can we leave them parked outside a market etc.? Any
suggestions on what not to miss? Approximate cost?
Thanks for any hints!

Personally I would NOT recommend this acivity. The locals drive rather fast
and much different than anyother place I have ever been. The last time I
rented one was in St. John and just the fact that they drive on the left is
enough to get confused when coming out of a turn. Jamaica is a WHOLE 'nutha'
story. I would either walk the beach of the side of the road from hotel to
store or ride a taxi.

Proctor

Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:24 AM
Dave Etz

"Edward Myers" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone had experience renting scooters or mopeds in Negril? We
will be staying at the Couples Negril next week and think scooters
might be fun. Any Cautions? Is it safe to venture out with another
couple? Can we leave them parked outside a market etc.? Any
suggestions on what not to miss? Approximate cost?
Thanks for any hints!

I've rented scooters in the past in Negril, and have had a ball doing it.
But if you haven't driven in Jamaica before, or haven't been there a lot,
then Proctor's advice is good. Negril is as safe as any area in the
Caribbean, and most of the people are honest and friendly and quite helpful.
There are the rip-off artists, and use your street smarts for them. I've
been over to Sav La Mar with the scooter, and up to Grange Hill, with no
problem whatsoever. Stay to the left, and let other drivers pass. The
traffic in the Negril area isn't heavy, just fast and hectic. Everything
else moves slow there. Why? Who knows....

Expect to pay about $20 or so per day for a scooter, more for a trail bike.
You may have to negotiate a bit to get this price. Also get insurance, and
check out the bike carefully. And there have been instances of the battery
being stolen, so be aware.

Is it safe to go outside Couples? Definitely so. And you would miss the
best times of your life if you didn't. Use basic street smarts, don't wave
fancy jewelry around, and enjoy the area and all the little places up and
down the beach and road. And make sure you spend a day on the cliffs. Neat
place, and a different vibe.

Dave

Old January 22nd, 2004, 07:21 AM
Brian K

On 01/21/2004 9:27 AM Edward Myers plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger
and said:

Has anyone had experience renting scooters or mopeds in Negril? We
will be staying at the Couples Negril next week and think scooters
might be fun. Any Cautions? Is it safe to venture out with another
couple? Can we leave them parked outside a market etc.? Any
suggestions on what not to miss? Approximate cost?
Thanks for any hints!

I agree with Proctor. Why is it that people do things that they would
never do at home when they are on vacation. While "caribbean time" may
be less hurried than north americans are used to, the locals driving is
not. Directional signals may be used to say "Hi" to someone roadside.

Would you ride a moped around the Grand Etoile in Paris? Locals do,
that doesn't mean it's advisable for you. I know of one tourist , who
fueled with one too many Piña Colada, decided to gun her scooter. She
wasn't alert and hit a big pothole at high speed. She spent the rest of
her vacation in a body cast. The hospital wasn't paid for by her health
insurance as it's only good in the US of A. So if you want to do this,
be sure to take the local insurance and check with your healthcare
insurance to see if you are covered overseas.

You might be one of the sane, sober, scooter riders who keeps in mind
that they don't have the body of a car to absorb impact. But, then
there's always the other guy who could slam into you. I'd walk or take
a cab.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:07 PM
Lenny

"Proctor" wrote in message

[...]

As someone who has actually -done- this, and done it on three separate
trips to Negril, I'd say caution is quite advisable, but that it is
not an inherently hazardous activity, particularly on the main road in
Negril. If you are risk averse, by all means stick to cabs (you'll
need one if you're planning on going anywhere from Couples' location)
since accidents -do- happen. But if you are reasonably confident of
your abilities, you should know that many, many people rent scooters
in Negril without incident.

The stretch of Manley Blvd. (the "main" st.) that runs up and down
the beach to the center of town is in pretty good shape and is wide
enough that it's more like a two-lane road in the States. I've found
other cars, which are mostly cabs, to be generally respectful. Since
there are no curbs, it's also possible to simply pull to the side if
you feel uncomfortable in any situation. The key is simply to take
your time and not be discontented with going 20-25 mph. The issue of
driving on the "wrong" side of the road is pretty easy to get used to
since you are pretty much going in a straight line in both directions.

There are two caveats here. There is a "roundabout" (traffic circle)
near the center of town (actually about 5-6 miles from Couples) that
can be very difficult to navigate. Additionally, the West End Rd on
the other side of the circle that leads to the "cliffs" and the
lighthouse (IMO, the coolest part of Negril) is more narrow, windy,
and pot-hole filled than Manley Blvd. I'm not sure that I'd try to
navigate that the first time.

On a daily basis, $30 US is not exorbitant for a scooter, but it
should drop to at least $25 and perhaps more on a longer term rental
(say, a week) provided you negotiate. Jah B's is a popular rental
place, but Couples also should be able to give you some feedback.
Most importantly, use caution if you go ahead, check out the scooter,
and drive sanely. There's no rush. I've never experienced any
problem with theft.

Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:40 PM
Da Parrot-chick

"Lenny" wrote in message

There is a "roundabout" (traffic circle)
near the center of town (actually about 5-6 miles from Couples) that
can be very difficult to navigate.

In traffic roundabouts, just remember these two points and you'll have no
problem negotiating them:

* The vehicle approaching the roundabout from the right of you has the right
of way.

* The vehicle(s) in the roundabout have the right of way.