Question about Schengen Visa

Old October 24th, 2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Question about Schengen Visa

Hello,

My wife is a US green card holder, but a national of China (she carries
Chinese passport). As such, we will need to obtain a Schengen visa.

On the embassy's website for France (where we intend to spend most of
our time), I was a bit curious about a few things:

- Applicant must have "complete itinerary or round trip ticket with
confirmed dates. No open tickets accepted. Do not purchase tickets
until the visa has been approved."

My question is, what is the best way to obtain a ticket with confirmed
dates, without purchasing it? Is there a general way to take care of
this with a travel agent?

- Applicant must have "confirmed reservation by fax from the hotel(s)
(the fax(es) must be sent directly to you and not to the Consulate) in
France and in the Schengen countries to be visited, confirming your
reservations for each night you will spend in France and the Schengen
States (we do not accept emails nor online, internet reservation
confirmations)".

This would be a major inconvenience since we intended on backpacking
and finding accommodation as we go (with the exception of perhaps the
first week or so, which we can book prior). Does the Schengen visa
simply require this much planning? Or is there a way to make an
exception?

Also, I'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences with obtaining a
Schengen visa, and what kind of complications I might expect. We can
easily provide the financial proof that we can afford our vacation.
However, we were curious about best ways to handle the airline ticket
proof (without purchasing them ahead of time) and lack of
accommodations (whether it's even possible to get a visa without it).

Thank you very much!

Old October 24th, 2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alec

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

They are very strict about Schengen visa applications and no exception is
made for any of its requirements. It's simply the case of if you don't meet
all the requirements, they don't issue a visa, and as they are the only
people who can, you have no choice but to comply. Having a US Green Card may
make it slightly easier, but don't count on it. European countries have big
problems with illegal immigration (just like US with Mexicans, Guatemalans
etc) so scrutinizing visa application is their first line of defense.
As for your airline ticket, they do understand you cannot buy a
non-refundable ticket before getting your visa. So just get your itinerary
sorted which accounts for every day of your intended stay, where you are
going to arrive, which places to be visited and when, and your departure
airport.
For your fax confirmation, I would book refundable rooms and ask the
hotelier to send you a confirmation fax (tell them you need it for visa).
Once your visa is granted, cancel those reservations you don't want to keep
and make your own arrangement. It will be easier to book for a week at the
same hotel, rather than one night each at different hotels. Large
international hotel groups allow you to book with a credit card with
no-penalty cancelation until a day or so before check-in.

Alec

Old October 25th, 2006, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Alec wrote:

[...]

Alec,

Thank you very much for the response. I will be sure to take every
requirement seriously. Also, that is a good idea to just book hotels at
a few international hotels that allow easy reservations and
cancellations.

We also just found out that applicants now have to appear in the
embassies in person, which means we would have to fly to the nearest
embassy just to apply. Is this a fairly recent rule?

Old October 25th, 2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Otto de Voogd

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:06:55 -0700, squarenesswafer wrote:

[...]

Try shopping around for a visa, a visa from any of the Shengen countries
is valid in the whole area. Friends of mine have had good experiences
through the German consulate (although the requirements may formally be
the same, the attitude of staff is not).

It also helps if you can say that you are going to visit family and have a
certified invitation from them (you won't need all the pre-bookings). I
don't know if this option is open to you?

--
Otto de Voogd
http://www.7is7.com/otto/travel/ - Travel Stories

Old October 26th, 2006, 11:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Otto de Voogd wrote:
Try shopping around for a visa, a visa from any of the Shengen countries
is valid in the whole area. Friends of mine have had good experiences
through the German consulate (although the requirements may formally be
the same, the attitude of staff is not).

Theoretically you're meant to get the Schengen visa from the country in
which you'll be spending the most time, but as there aren't any
intra-border restrictions once you're in the Schengen zone, that can
probably got around.

As someone who used to need a visa to go to France, I can heartily
concur with the exceptionally bad attitude of French consulate staff.
They even make the Russians look good.

Patrick

Old October 26th, 2006, 02:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Otto de Voogd skrev:
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:06:55 -0700, squarenesswafer wrote:

It also helps if you can say that you are going to visit family and have a
certified invitation from them (you won't need all the pre-bookings). I
don't know if this option is open to you?

Somebody you know that is not family is probably better. To admit to
have family is normally on the not-do list when it comes to immigration
authorities as that normally is interpreted as an indication of risk
that you intend to stay in the country permanently with your family and
not leave on the exit date.

Jan

Old October 27th, 2006, 01:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Otto de Voogd

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 06:21:07 -0700, oystein wrote:

Otto de Voogd skrev:
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:06:55 -0700, squarenesswafer wrote:

It also helps if you can say that you are going to visit family and have a
certified invitation from them (you won't need all the pre-bookings). I
don't know if this option is open to you?

Somebody you know that is not family is probably better. To admit to
have family is normally on the not-do list when it comes to immigration
authorities as that normally is interpreted as an indication of risk
that you intend to stay in the country permanently with your family and
not leave on the exit date.

Jan

True, although people from the US (as OP is) are not generally considered
risky in this sense and many do have relatives in Europe that they visit
on vacation. As long as they apply to visit his relatives and not hers
there shouldn't be a problem. Then of course any other good friend willing
to send an invitation should be OK as well.

Old October 27th, 2006, 10:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Otto de Voogd skrev:
[...]

First, we almost totally agree on this.

Second, several sources advice Schengen residents going to the US to
say they are on business or tourists and not to mention they have
friends in US immigration.

Neither is it that unusual with American citizens staying beond the
expire date of their visa in Europe, because they have a girlfriend,
have objections to the political developments in the US in recent years
etc. I will not be surprised if immigration authorities in Europian
countries is aware of this and that "tourist" or "business" is a better
answer to avoid problems than "girlfriend", "family" or may be even
"friends".

Jan