Public Transport in Florida

Old October 26th, 2004, 10:35 AM
NUFC_1892

Default Public Transport in Florida

I know that public transport in Florida is scarce but what is the best
possible way & the cheapest to get from the Walt Disney Resort to New
York City or Chicago and how long roughly would it take around
June/July at its most buisiest time?.

Regards,

NUFC_1892
Old October 26th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Fustanella

I know that public transport in Florida is scarce but what is the best
possible way & the cheapest to get from the Walt Disney Resort to New
York City or Chicago and how long roughly would it take around
June/July at its most buisiest time?.

Frankly, air travel is going to be your best option. I wouldn't recommend
bus service to an enemy, and Amtrak train service tends to be sporadic, at
least as expensive and much longer in time than flying - figure a day and a
half as compared to half a day (once security is factored in at the
airport).

One place you can save money is by taking the Lynx public bus service from
Disney to the airport, though you'll pay for that with a much longer trip -
as I recall, you have to go downtown first, then back out to the airport
once you transfer buses. http://www.golynx.com is their website, I think.

Check air-travel websites such as Expedia and Travelocity for general prices
around that time, but don't forget to check airlines directly which aren't a
part of those conglomerations such as Southwest.

Old October 26th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Fustanella,

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

NUFC_1892

Old October 26th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Fustanella,

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

NUFC_1892

Old October 26th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Dan Checkman

(NUFC_1892) wrote in message . com...
I know that public transport in Florida is scarce but what is the best
possible way & the cheapest to get from the Walt Disney Resort to New
York City or Chicago and how long roughly would it take around
June/July at its most buisiest time?.

Regards,

NUFC_1892

This question is a bit strange. First, I usually think of "public
transport" as referring to local/regional mass transit (i.e. bus,
train/subway, ferry, etc.). In this case, Florida is a little
limited, but I wouldn't describe resources as scarce - you can get
links to Florida mass transit systems on the APTA website
(
www.apta.com or www.apta.org - I haven't looked at it for awhile so
I'm not sure which it is). If you're planning to rely on mass transit
to get to New York or Chicago, getting across Florida should be the
least of your concerns. If this is your plan, it'll probably take
about a week and a half (maybe two) to get to either city from the
Orlando area and would involve a lot of walking, hitch-hiking (never
recommended and often illegal), and/or cab rides - it wouldn't be all
that cheap (probably a lot of fun, but not cheap).

If you're referring to any transportation system available to the
American public (i.e. airlines, Amtrak, Greyhound, other private bus
lines), then Florida has a plethora of services available that will
link you up with Chicago or New York.

If you want to use ground transportation, Greyhound (bus service) and
Amtrak (train service) have pretty good websites that can provide you
with schedule and fare details, including when/where you'd have to
change buses/trains. Greyhound would probably be the cheaper of the
two, but would also involve less frills. I can't vouch for scenery,
but I suspect both options have their high points.

Honestly, the best and usually cheapest way to get from the Orlando
area to Chicago or New York is to fly. Discount airlines that fly to
both cities include AirTran and ATA. JetBlue and the new Independence
Air probably fly to Orlando as well. Southwest is okay for getting
from Orlando to Chicago, but not New York (unless Islip or Hartford
are your final destinations). They also aren't all that great for
one-way fares. Like with the ground transportation, check
Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. as well as the individual carrier sites to
get more details about schedules and fares.

:-Dan
Old October 26th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Roger B.

IME, Jet Blue usually has the best fares from Orlando to NYC.
Check out these discount airlines... Jet Blue, Southwest,
Sprit, ATA and Independence Air...
http://www.jetblue.com/ http://www.southwest.com/
http://www.spiritair.com/ http://www.ata.com/home.html
http://www.flyi.com/