Cheapest mode from JFK Airport to Times Square

Old October 25th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Dan Checkman

Brian Wickham wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:10:29 -0400, "Tom Gutnick"
wrote:

Roland Lee wrote in message
Please advise which is the cheapest way to travel from JFK to Times
Square
for 2 adults and 3 children (age 12, 6 & 6 yrs old). Thanks

The easiest inexpensive way is via train. There is a relatively short
train that goes from JFK Airport to connections with the New York City
subway. Info at http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/airtrain.htm. The first leg
is $5 per person (rather expensive, given the distance); the subway is
another $2. I believe that even your 6-year-olds will pay full fare. For
5 people, you're looking at $35, and probably a bit under an hour (on the
subway, take the E train to either 50th Street or 42nd Street depending on
where exactly you want to end up). I'm not sure, but I'd expect a taxi to
cost about the same or a bit more -- but consider the convenience of
door-to-door service versus the extra expense.

The most inexpensive way I know is by city bus and subway, total price
for 5 people is $10.

Some recommend the B15 bus to the #3 train at New Lots Ave. I've
never been that way and I see that the bus continues on so there is
always the possibility of missing your stop.

My preferred route is the Q10 (Green Bus Line) to the end of the line
at Utopia Parkway/Kew Gardens where you pick up the E or F train.
It's foolproof because you can't miss your stop.

Five people will need a minimum of two MetroCards. One with at least
$6 on it, the other with at least $4. But if you plan to use transit
during your whole trip then everyone should have a weekly Metrocard if
you plan to use it more than three days. You can buy MetroCards at
the entrance to the Airtrain.

The last time I was at JFK I noticed that transit buses stop only at
Terminal 4, right downstairs from the Airtrain.

A taxi into Manhattan is now $45 plus toll and tip. $55 total would
be a cheapskate price.

Brian Wickham

I find that the cheapest, reasonable way to get from JFK to Times
Square is to have a friend pick me up, but somehow I don't think
that's an option in your case.

With regards to the first post above, you used to be able to get to
the Howard Beach subway stop for free (where you can catch the A train
to 42nd Street). Maybe they've changed that now that the Airtrain is
running. Still, the Airtrain is free as far as the second to last
stop (Howard Beach is the end of the line in that direction) and the
subway station is not that much further that you couldn't get there by
taking one of the parking lot shuttle buses. Using the subway would
be the $2 per person ($10 for the 5 of you, although you may be able
to sneak the 6-year-olds in under the turnstiles if they aren't too
big). If you plan to use public transportation (the subway) more
while in New York, you may want to load it all onto one card - at
certain amounts (i.e. $20), you'll get an extra ride or two for free.
I have an unlimited ride card and haven't bought a card like this for
awhile, so things may have changed.

With regards to the second post - this would be the cheaper way to go
than heading out to Howard Beach, and requires fewer stairs,
escalators, etc. There are bus stops at each terminal or pair of
terminals (i.e. 8 and 9 share a stop), so it's just a short walk from
the terminal to the curb. Note that the bus drops you off at Union
Turnpike, not Utopia Parkway, and that to get to Times Square the E
train (which runs down 8th Ave) is a better option than the F train
(which runs down 6th Ave).

Now, let me add a couple other considerations, before assuming this is
the best way for you to get from JFK to Times Square.

1) Consider what time and day of the week you flight lands. Between
10pm and 6am the buses and trains run less frequently. This would
affect the buses more than the trains. Also, there's a tendency to do
a lot of trackwork/construction on the weekends and late at night,
which could involve rerouting trains around a bit, but this is usually
posted on the MTA website so you could plan accordingly.

2) Check with your hotel before planning on taking the subway - they
might have a shuttle service (I doubt it, but it's worth a try).

3) Before assuming that you can just hop in a cab as an alternative
(again, a $55 alternative), don't forget that you have two
six-year-olds - you will have to supply your own child car seats if
they are required for six-year-olds (I can't remember what the
age/weight limits are for this in New York).

4) If you decide to take a cab, be sure to wait in line at the cab
stand and don't accept solicitations from drivers walking around -
many of them may be honest, but many aren't real cabbies and still
don't have a livery license or the appropriate insurance.

5) Finally, one other option would be to ride an express bus from JFK
to Port Authority/Times Square. There is at least one private bus
company that I know of that offers this service, but I don't know the
price, frequency of service, or much else. I'd guess that it would be
$10-$20 per person.

Hope this helps.
:-Dan