Chiang Mai guest houses or hotels?

Old November 25th, 2003, 03:12 AM
billybob

Default Chiang Mai guest houses or hotels?

--
Hello, We are flying into Chiang Mai in early January. We have never been
to this area and are wondering if anyone has a good choice for a guest house

Old November 25th, 2003, 08:44 PM
USC

I stayed at the Top North Hotel (41 Moon Muang Road, Amphur Muang,
Chiang Mai; tel: 0-5327-9623-5), which also has a guest house a short
walk down the road that lets you use the hotel pool (for a 100 Baht
fee). The hotel has the Top North Tours office in the lobby, through
which I was able to arrange a two-day/one night trek, which involved
1-1/2 hrs. of elephant riding, roughly 18 km of hiking through
mountains, jungle and rice fields, an overnight stay in a Karen hill
tribe village, and a 1 hr. bamboo raft trip. I also did a 1-day road
trip to the Golden Triangle (included stops in Chiang Saen, a hot
spring, an Akha hill tribe village, Donexao (island in Laos) and Mae
Sai), and a 1/2-day trip to Doi Suthep and a Hmong hill tribe village
through Top North. The hotel, which is situated near the old city
wall and moat, was about a 15-minute walk from both the night bazaar
and a number of interesting Wats (temples). There is a nice
restaurant called Zest Cafe and Bakery right in front of the Top North
that I ate at often during my five days in Chiang Mai; be sure to try
their Chiang Mai sausage fried rice (a bit spicy) and a cup of
fresh-ground Mae Salong coffee, which is locally grown in the hills
south of Chiang Mai. There is a sports bar next door with a boxing
ring that features amateur Mui Thai kick boxing matches, and a variety
of karaoke and hostess-type bars back towards the guest house. I
never got a chance to stroll along the Ping River, but I hear that
there are some nice restaurants along the banks. Enjoy.

USC
Old November 26th, 2003, 11:27 AM
antori

We stayed in Rama guesthouse. The lady of the house is very nice. You can
make trip from here and also arranged it. Very good.
Everything is in the neighbourhood.
Antori

"billybob" james@ schreef in bericht

Old November 29th, 2003, 08:09 PM
SportChick

It definitely depends on your budget, of course. We were on a terribly low
budget and enjoyed the Smile House (although it was slightly higher than we
wanted to pay - 250baht/night). We also stayed at the Julie Guesthouse for
130 baht, which was a bit noiser and not quite as nice, but still quite
enjoyable.

The Banana Guesthouse is also nice, but if you don't book a trek with them,
they'll find some way to toss you out (claiming to be full or something.
I'd stay away from Mr. Whiskey. It's too loud.

Have fun!

Donna
http://www.KirkandDonna.com/

Old December 1st, 2003, 03:29 AM
bob

I'll second the Top North. Stayed there for a few weeks in 1996 and the pool
sure sure was a blessing..

Bob

--

Travel and Astronomy Photos