Malta Accomodations

Old January 6th, 2004, 07:26 PM
12VMan

Default Malta Accomodations

I'm heading to Malta in the spring and am looking for any suggestions
on where to stay. I'm not looking for anything too luxurious since
I'll just be sleeping there - the history and architecture will occupy
the rest of my time. Just need something with a good location (I'm
thinking Valletta), clean, and a nice view (preferably the ocean) to
see when my wife and I wake up. We are looking at the Grand Harbour
Hotel, Castille Hotel, and Hotel British. Anyone stay at any of
these?

We are also looking to spend a couple of nights in Gozo and am looking
for suggestions. We'd want something with higher luxury standards
since we'll most likely just relax on Gozo.

Thanks for the help.

-Jimmy
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Steltzjr

Nice catch. I guess that's what happens when you're used to travelling to
places on an ocean.

I did mean the sea in my above message, in case anyone else was confused.

A pedantic catch. The two words are often interchangeable. No confusion.
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Maurice ON4BAM

On 7 Jan 2004 05:47:52 -0800, (12VMan) wrote:

Maurice ON4BAM wrote in message . ..
On 6 Jan 2004 11:26:24 -0800,
(12VMan) wrote:

the rest of my time. Just need something with a good location (I'm
thinking Valletta), clean, and a nice view (preferably the ocean) to

You will have ahard time to find ANY accomodation with a view over the
ocean since the nearest ocean is about 1000 Km away... :-) a view over
the Mediteranean sea however is no problem.

Bye Maurice

Nice catch. I guess that's what happens when you're used to
travelling to places on an ocean.

I did mean the sea in my above message, in case anyone else was
confused.

You may try alt.culture.malta for info. it's a low activity group and
2 years ago it was moderated (might still be the case).

Valletta may be a good place to stay as most of the buses (a tourist
attraction themself) start from here to almost all places on the
island. You should allow plenty of time for your travel though... it
takes time to get anywhere :-)
Car rental is rather cheap if you don't mind driving a small (and I
mean SMALL) car on the left side of the road. Many roads are just 2
cars wide (narrow).
Modern hotels are mostly in/near St. Julian (don't know rates) as are
most of the 'tourist activities'.

Enjoy Malta!

Bye Maurice
--
Hamradio: ON4BAM / M0CIL / 9H3Z
http://www.qsl.net/on4bam
Old January 10th, 2004, 02:03 PM
The Wests

Hi

We stayed for a week in Valletta at the British Hotel. It is an older
family-run hotel overlooking the Grand Harbour. Friendly, clean, nice
restaurant, good service. Not posh, though it's moderately priced
(around 11 ML per person including a continental breakfast). We enjoyed
the fabulous terrace attached to our room. Good location. Elevators (may
have to go up a few stairs - floors are not uniform - if that's a
problem, ask.)

Staying in Valletta means that you are near the buses, near shopping,
etc. But it does get quiet after 7 or 8 pm when the shops shut. I'd stay
there again though.

BTW, be sure to book tickets for the Hypogeum as soon as you arrive or
try to get a travel agency to book for you. They only allow a smallish
number per day and it is fabulous. Prices in Malta are reasonable -
transportation is cheap - the archeological sites are amazing (Gozo's
are older than Stonehenge). We hired a qualified private tour guide for
the day - she hired a minivan and driver so we were able to see a lot in
a short time.

http://www.britishhotel.com/

Frances
Toronto, Canada
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Derek F

"The Wests" wrote in message
[...]

We just got a taxi driver to take us round Gozo. Did you go to any of the
village fiestas in Malta, brilliant home made pyrotechnics! I was deaf for
days after.
Derek.

Old January 11th, 2004, 06:05 AM
The Wests

In article ,
"Derek F" wrote:

We just got a taxi driver to take us round Gozo. Did you go to any of the
village fiestas in Malta, brilliant home made pyrotechnics! I was deaf for
days after.
Derek.

The festas sounded fun but there didn't seem to be any when we were
there in early December. There were however fireworks celebrating new
graduates - at least that's what the hotel staff thought.

We day-tripped to Gozo. The ferry from Cirkewwa Harbour in Malta as a
foot passenger is extremely cheap (1,75 ML return). We took the local
bus part-way to Victoria and from there walked to see the Gigantija
temples which date from between 4100-2500 BC.
http://www.gozo.gov.mt/placeofinterest.asp?CatId=83

Frances
Toronto, Canada

Old January 11th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Derek F

"The Wests" wrote in message
In article ,
"Derek F" wrote:

We just got a taxi driver to take us round Gozo. Did you go to any of

the
village fiestas in Malta, brilliant home made pyrotechnics! I was deaf

for
days after.
Derek.

The festas sounded fun but there didn't seem to be any when we were
there in early December. There were however fireworks celebrating new
graduates - at least that's what the hotel staff thought.

We day-tripped to Gozo. The ferry from Cirkewwa Harbour in Malta as a
foot passenger is extremely cheap (1,75 ML return). We took the local
bus part-way to Victoria and from there walked to see the Gigantija
temples which date from between 4100-2500 BC.
http://www.gozo.gov.mt/placeofinterest.asp?CatId=83

Frances
Toronto, Canada

It was early December when we were there and found the festas. We had other
bangs on that trip as we caught the tail end of an earthquake in Sicily. My
bed moved just as I was falling asleep and bits fell of the hotel, we were
on the top floor of the Preluna Tower.
Derek.