George and Lori competing with RTC GGC?

Old October 19th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Eileen Garland

Default George and Lori competing with RTC GGC?

I see that George and Lori are running a group cruise (MOAGC) in January
2005. As rec.travel.cruises Great Group Cruise is generally held in
January each year, it seems like this is in direct competition with the
RTC GGC, and I'm surprised, since both George and Lori have won the
contracts for these GGCs in the past and have been generally outspoken
about how wonderful these ggcs are. If I remember correctly, Lori was
the TA for the very first rtc ggc and George is the person who suggested
most of the rules for the qualifications a ggc TA should possess - but
perhaps I'm wrong about this and someone can correct me (and I'm sure
they will!).

I wonder why they are doing this instead of attempting to win the bid
for next year's ggc. I wonder what rtc'ers think about this.

Eileen

Old October 19th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Mason Barge

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 08:54:20 -0400, Eileen Garland
wrote:

I see that George and Lori are running a group cruise (MOAGC) in January
2005. As rec.travel.cruises Great Group Cruise is generally held in
January each year, it seems like this is in direct competition with the
RTC GGC, and I'm surprised, since both George and Lori have won the
contracts for these GGCs in the past and have been generally outspoken
about how wonderful these ggcs are. If I remember correctly, Lori was
the TA for the very first rtc ggc and George is the person who suggested
most of the rules for the qualifications a ggc TA should possess - but
perhaps I'm wrong about this and someone can correct me (and I'm sure
they will!).

I wonder why they are doing this instead of attempting to win the bid
for next year's ggc. I wonder what rtc'ers think about this.

Eileen

I think they have a right to run their businesses how they want.
With, what, probably over a million people taking cruises every
month, I don't see how someone putting together a group cruise in
January would particularly interfere with GGC.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Old October 19th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Eileen Garland

Yes, of course they have a right to run their businesses as they see
fit! I was thinking that many of the people who like to join the rtc
group cruises would also be interested in the George/Lori group.

Thanks for sharing your reaction, Mason.

Eileen

Old October 19th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Eileen Garland

Could be! I hadn't thought of that and will be interested to see if
that's the case.

Eileen

CupCaked wrote:

Most rtc-ers really don't much care.

Old October 19th, 2003, 04:02 PM
ArleneL

As an RTC/GGCer, I don't care at all. The MOAGC will be a great group
cruise, albeit not "THE" RTC designated great group cruise. There are
several group cruises each year and we pick and choose those that are
suitable for our time frame. They're all groups and they're all great!

Arlene ---planning to book the MOAGC

Old October 19th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Charles

In article , Eileen Garland
wrote:

Could be! I hadn't thought of that and will be interested to see if
that's the case.

Since I can't go on their cruise or a GGC in January for technical
reasons I don't personally care from that standpoint. Neither George
or Lori has made any solicitation for their group cruise on r.t.c. so I
see it as a private matter, but I suppose that it is possible that
people that have been going on GGC's every year in January, although
they don't have to be in January, might be peeved, but GGC's don't have
to be in January. The private group cruise does not preclude a GGC in
January 2005 but some might think it puts a crimp in a January GGC.

Honestly, if I were going on a group cruise, after reading r.t.c. for
many years the GGC designation would have little to do with it. I would
have no problem booking with a group cruise initiated by George, Lori,
or Ray to name some of the TA's who participate in r.t.c. or by r.t.c.
contributers who pick them as the TA for a group cruise, if the timing
were right. In my opinion to this point they and many other TA's have
ethically participated in r.t.c. I will never book with Peter Berlin
who is the TA of the upcoming GGC as my opinion is that he has crossed
the line into overt solicitation.

--
Charles
Old October 19th, 2003, 04:44 PM
A. Lurker

In article , CupCaked says...

IMHO, you are always sarcastic and flippant! I like to read your messages to
see what sarcastic remark you have made to someone and your bitterness against
something sure does come through!

Eileen, I didn't mean to sound so flippant in my initial response, but
I think the small percentage of rtc-ers who regularly book CCGs is
very small compared to the large percentage of us who post regularly
and will probably never go on a GGC. Many folks here go with friends
or family when they cruise. Their group of travel buddies is already
in place. I will probably never go on a GGC because, when we DO go
with a group, it's with either the WSS or the SSHSA Long Island
Chapter.

Then, there's the VERY large percentage of people who are lurkers and
who never post at all. Some go on GGCs, but most do not.

CupCaked wrote:

Most rtc-ers really don't much care.

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Old October 19th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Jay

Eileen Garland wrote (in part):

I wonder why they are doing this instead of attempting to win the bid
for next year's ggc. I wonder what rtc'ers think about this.

Eileen

Well, this RTCer thinks it's a non-issue and, frankly, wonders what
underlying intention truly motivated your post, Eileen.

Jay---surprised, disappointed, and (yes) cynical.

Old October 19th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Eileen Garland

Judging from the responses I've seen so far, it does appear to be a
non-issue.

I had no underlying intention, Jay. I was just surprised at the timing
and was curious as to what others thought. I am often curious as to
what other people think because I tend to see things differently than
most people do.

Why are you surprised, disappointed, and cynical? What underlying
intention do you think motivated my post?

Old October 19th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Jay

Well, the cynic in me perceived the post as an attempt to stir up some
shi...er...um...trouble. I was surprised & disappointed that it came
from someone for whom I have longstanding respect & warm feelings.

Glad to hear I was wrong.

Jay---sometimes forgets that jumping to conclusions ain't an aerobic
exercise.