Princess cruise booking cancelled - where to rebook?

Old October 9th, 2011, 04:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ideas Man

Default Princess cruise booking cancelled - where to rebook?

Hi,

I've just been contacted by the online travel agency who I'd booked my
upcoming cruise from Rome to Egypt & the Aegean from October 21. Apparently,
Princess have a new ruling which prohibits US agents from selling cruises to
Australians unless they've previously travelled on Princess.

They've organised a full refund and were helpful and apologetic in
explaining that they were no longer permitted to sell me the fare. The
cruise is far from booked out, so it was suggested rebooking through
Princess or an Australian travel agent should be painless, and may even be
possible at a reduced rate given that there are many vacancies on this
soon-to-depart cruise.

Unfortunately, it turns out that a balcony class room through Princess will
cost me $2500, compared to the $1,550 price that I was originally going to
pay for the same room. Other online Australian websites have it available
from $2,400 - $2,480 - so it's not much cheaper. I could get an interior
room, but even that would still cost me $1,750 - $200 more than the original
balcony booking, and would leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Can anyone suggest any other websites or means where value prices are
offered for Princess cruises. It seems very unfair that I could book this
cruise for $1,000 less if I lived in the US. This is getting very last
minute (it departs in 12 days!), but I'm yet to see too many places dropping
their prices. Are price drops truly likely to occur, or should I just bite
the bullet and book a cheaper room through Princess.com?

Any advice or recommendations appreciated.

Old October 9th, 2011, 06:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Ideas Man" wrote in message
[...]

Try contacting:
George Leppla, MCC
Expedia CruiseShipCenters
Shreveport, LA 71129
1-800-603-5755
http://www.georgeleppla.cruiseshipcenters.com

He is one of the travel agents that I often use and I know that he has
booked cruises for passengers living outside of the USA.
Perhaps he can help you. I don't know if the 800 number is valid from
Australia, but you might e-mail him if it is not. Good Luck!

--Jean

Old October 9th, 2011, 06:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ideas Man

Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Ideas Man" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the tip, Jean - that's exactly what I was looking for.

I've just dropped him an email and will cross my fingers for a response.

Old November 14th, 2011, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Karen

On Oct 9, 10:58*pm, "Ideas Man" wrote:
As predicted, the agent Jean listed wasn't able to sell to me, so I will
check out seascanner and see if they are able to help. At almost $700
cheaper than i can buy the same tickets for in Australia - it's worth a try.

Regional discounts don't make sense to me but I just got a discount
for being a California resident disembarking from a California port.

Karen