Travelocity/Princess Single Penalty

Old February 18th, 2006, 06:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Travelocity/Princess Single Penalty

I mentioned the Celebrity single penalty. Here is one that
Travelocity and Princess have collaborated on.

They are offering a $200 shipboard credit on select sailings.
Here are some details.

"...Single occupancy staterooms will only receive half of the
applicable Onboard Credit amount and only one per stateroom may be
applied..."

"...Based on double occupancy or better. Single guests must pay 200%
of the cruise fare to be eligible for this Offer..."

I have to pay twice the fare but get only half the shipboard credit.
It appears to me that the cruise lines really don't want singles on
their ships.

Old February 18th, 2006, 07:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Odysseus wrote:
I mentioned the Celebrity single penalty. Here is one that
Travelocity and Princess have collaborated on.

They are offering a $200 shipboard credit on select sailings.
Here are some details.

That's a new one I've not heard before.

I have to pay twice the fare but get only half the shipboard credit.
It appears to me that the cruise lines really don't want singles on
their ships.

You got that PARTLY right, about the first part of the deal, about
paying 200% when other ships typically charge 150% for singles
not sharing a cabin with anyone.

The DO want singles on their ships -- those singles who are
DUMB enough to work out the flim flam -- the same ones who
couldn't work out Ray's flim flam in his SPAMS.

THis was just ONE of Ray's endorsement from a rtc reader:

* Well, After reading all of the nasty things about Ray on
* this board and not believing them a bit, I have to say that \
* he was very rude to me when I just called "Lighthouse travel"
* to inquire about sailing on the NCL Dawn. He's "way too
* busy " to help me unless I guarantee that I will book the
* cruise with him. hmmmm...

That's a perfect first-hand testimony about Ray using his
"Hi Everyone, I received this press release ...", his "Lighthous
Travel" sig as his SPAMMING props.

He is simply sucking customers in for HIS agency. He couldn't
careless about answering anyone's quesitons. He is "too busy"
-- that's true. Too busy gathering SPAMMING props of press
releases, too busy SPAMMING, and too busy stuffing clueless
clients $$$ into his pocket!

Ray is a one-man-band doing all those thing, so others in the
group said.

-- Bob.

Old February 18th, 2006, 04:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article weyJf.783151$_o.98450@attbi_s71, Odysseus wrote:

I mentioned the Celebrity single penalty. Here is one that
Travelocity and Princess have collaborated on.

They are offering a $200 shipboard credit on select sailings.
Here are some details.

"...Single occupancy staterooms will only receive half of the
applicable Onboard Credit amount and only one per stateroom may be
applied..."

"...Based on double occupancy or better. Single guests must pay 200%
of the cruise fare to be eligible for this Offer..."

I have to pay twice the fare but get only half the shipboard credit.
It appears to me that the cruise lines really don't want singles on
their ships.

Princess had 160% supplements on a few different cabin categories. Is
this just a strange one, or is this the wave of Princess' future?
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article 77aKf.809618$xm3.343061@attbi_s21, Odysseus wrote:

In article ,
says...

In article weyJf.783151$_o.98450@attbi_s71, Odysseus wrote:

I mentioned the Celebrity single penalty. Here is one that
Travelocity and Princess have collaborated on.

They are offering a $200 shipboard credit on select sailings.
Here are some details.

"...Single occupancy staterooms will only receive half of the
applicable Onboard Credit amount and only one per stateroom may be
applied..."

"...Based on double occupancy or better. Single guests must pay 200%
of the cruise fare to be eligible for this Offer..."

I have to pay twice the fare but get only half the shipboard credit.
It appears to me that the cruise lines really don't want singles on
their ships.

Princess had 160% supplements on a few different cabin categories. Is
this just a strange one, or is this the wave of Princess' future?

The brochure price, which I don't think anybody pays, is 150%. On the
sale price, the single supplement is 200%. The sale price is is less
than the brochure price even with the 200% supplement. This seems to
be the way all the major lines are doing business now. Princess doesn't
even take out the former scam port charges. The only take out $43
government taxes and fees.

So basically Princess is telling the single/solo traveler to buzz off?
I mean, the supplement is pretty much BS to start with 'cause there is
almost always empty cabins on every cruise, regardless of the signs at
the ports and now they want to jack it UP?

For me, it is simple. I have a travel budget for each year and
unlimited time to spend it. I will choose those travel sites, cruise
lines and other vacation type items that want me there. Looks like
Princess comes off my list as has Celebrity (much as I like them).

There are just way too many cruise ships and lines and deals are out
there when you are flexible, and I am literally free to be just as
flexible as I want to be these days.

I have put a cap on what I think a cruise is worth on a daily basis, and
for the regular lines, it sure isn't $200/day+!!
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

The cruise lines claim to lose $$ on single cruisers even at a 200%
supplement.

A single cruiser will only pay for one shore excursion at a time, will
typically drink for one, take one spa treatment at a time, etc. The
cost savings on the food is unmeasurable.

They make money on all the optional expenses and a single cruiser only
typically spends 50% of the norm.

Old February 20th, 2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article .com,
"AWB" wrote:

The cruise lines claim to lose $$ on single cruisers even at a 200%
supplement.

A single cruiser will only pay for one shore excursion at a time, will
typically drink for one, take one spa treatment at a time, etc. The
cost savings on the food is unmeasurable.

They make money on all the optional expenses and a single cruiser only
typically spends 50% of the norm.

I know that is what they claim, but that claim is only valid if the ship
sails completely full. That is almost never the case, especially in the
Caribbean. A single in a cabin may mean less profit than 2 to a cabin,
but it sure represents a whole lot more profit than zero in a cabin.

And if that were really true, then how come many of the really upscale
lines have very low supplements or none at all? Heck, even HAL had
125%, maybe they still do.

There are some that say the bean counters are in charge, well if they
are, they aren't very good bean counters. Good ones would be working to
fill all those empty cabins in some way.

And I know that some lines claim that they are full when it isn't the
case at all. I remember Golden Princes having signs out about being
full, yet during the week it became apparent that wasn't the case at
all. Lots of balcony cabins were empty, or if you are gullible, lots of
people paid for a balcony cabin and never went on the balcony!

For the price some of the consumer lines want for a sailing for a solo,
you can go on a much more upscale line. I just had an emailing about a
longer cruise on one of them and the perdiem was less than $250/day
which included practically everything, and certainly things that the
consumer lines charge extra for.

These days I don't look at the supplement, I just look at what it is
going to cost me. If it is more than what I consider a fair rate, then
I'm not going. That rate is adjusted by what line and what amenities
are included in the total cost.
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Interestingly, cruise ships DID have singles' cabins, once upon a time. I've
seen them. I knew someone who was in an outside single on the old PacPrin,
and it was VERY nice and quite likely worth whatever it was that he paid for
it. There was a seating area and the bed was behind a curtain. I've also
been in a cabin that while it DID have an upper which could be folded down,
there wasn't enough floor space for two people. I'm guessing that it was
supposed to be for the "personal attendant" to the MUCH larger cabin across
the hall. That was on the Sun Deck of the Regal Empress.

The thing is that it IS possible to build ships with a few decent cabins
intended for singles, with less floor space, maybe three where there would
be two doubles? and that they could easily be sold for a fare that would
make sense to all involved. But for whatever reason cruise lines don't do
this, and AFAIK they've stopped arranging shares. (I cruised with Carnival
twice because they would do that, they won't, now I won't.)

I suspect that, contrary to what "they" say, a single who would travel alone
under those circumstances might very likely avail themselves of more than
their "share" of onboard services, i.e. generating a good amount of onboard
revenue.

Just my opinion of course.

Marsha

Old February 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Funny... I've always looked at it that way... numbers can be manipulated in
SO many ways... the ONLY thing I look at is that bottom line. What's the per
diem? what's it going to cost me to get to my vacation destination? And the
biggy, what's it worth to me?

Old February 20th, 2006, 11:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I suspect that, contrary to what "they" say, a single who would travel alone
under those circumstances might very likely avail themselves of more than
their "share" of onboard services, i.e. generating a good amount of onboard
revenue.

Just my opinion of course.

I have cruised both solo and with a friend. As a solo traveler, the ship
has all of my time. Since I don't have to divide my affections between a
person and the ship, I am more likely to spend time in the spa and to gamble.
If I am sailing with another person, we generally hire our own tour guide
ashore. When I travel solo, I will buy cruise line shore excursions. I even
spend more money on drinks when I'm traveling solo. With nobody to talk to
at the bar, I end up drinking faster and drinking more. In the dining room,
I buy my wine by the glass instead of the bottle.

Here is the bottom line for the cruise line bean counters. When I travel
solo the shipboard account for one person is more than the account for two
people when I travel with somebody.