recommendations for a two week trip to europe

Old June 29th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Dave Smith

Iceman wrote:

Did she literally "never leave the airports", or did she just jam an
absurd number of places and flights into a short time?

That's another reason I avoided a group (family) trip with the sister in law who
was such a PITA on the last trip. She hated Paris when we were there and did her
best to make sure that no one else had a good time. This time her good friend was
going and had to see Paris. So for a wedding in Portugal they flew to Paris, Paris
to Lisbon, Lisbon to Copenhagen, Copenhagen back to Paris. For me, that is a lot
of back tracking and a lot of time spent in the air, waiting in airports or in
transit back and forth to airports on a two week trip. This time she just had to
go and see the Moulin Rouge because her friends wanted to see it. When I was there
with them 5 years ago we had been booked into a hotel across the street from it and
she sat in her room and cried because it was such a seedy neighbourhood.

Old June 30th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Gregory Morrow

DDT Filled Mormons wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:28:30 +0200, Martin wrote:

I used to work with somebody who spent her holidays doing around the
world trips without never leaving the airports. My idea of hell and
her idea of paradise.

I am trying to think of the non-cynical reasons for doing such a
thing...

Plane - spotting.

--
Best
Greg

Old June 30th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Richard

"Martin" wrote in message

Hearst Castle - Yosemite- Death Valley - Sequoia Park ...

Sounds like a great itinerary. What do you plan to see after lunch?

Richard

Old June 30th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Iceman

Hearst Castle - Yosemite- Death Valley - Sequoia Park ...
Sounds like a great itinerary. What do you plan to see after lunch?

Rick Steves recommended itinerary for "Europe's Best Three Weeks":

Day 1: Depart U.S. for Amsterdam
Day 2: Arrive in Amsterdam
Day 3: Amsterdam
Day 4: From Holland to the Rhine
Day 5: The Rhine to Rothenburg
Day 6: Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Day 7: Romantic Road, Dachau, Tirol
Day 8: Bavaria and Castle Day
Day 9: Over Alps to Venice
Day 10: Venice
Day 11: Florence
Day 12: Rome
Day 13: Rome
Day 14: Italian hill towns
Day 15: Drive the Italian Riviera
Day 16: Free on Cinque Terre beach
Day 17: Drive to the Alps
Day 18: Alps hike day, Gimmelwald
Day 19: Free in Alps; evening to France
Day 20: Colmar, Alsatian villages, wine
Day 21 On to Paris, stop at Reims
Day 22: Paris-

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...rope/eur22.htm

Old June 30th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Richard

"Iceman" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Crazy. I take the opposite approach. It's not easy for me to get more than a
week off at a time, but it's easy enough to get a week's vacation a couple
times in a year, so what I usually do is pick one city and spend a week
there. So far I've done that in Madrid and London. Next on the list is
Prague. Some might say I'm spending too much time in each place but I like
to get a feel for the city, not just see how quickly I can fill up my
digicam's memory card.

Richard

Old June 30th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Juliana L Holm

I've always wondered about this itinerary. It's definitely in his books,
but it conflicts with a lot that he says. (Note that part of how he accomplishes
this is by travelling on night trains and sleeping there. )

I would be surprised if Rick Steves has ever done this itinerary personally.

Julie

Richard wrote:
oups.com...

**********
Check out the blog of my 9 week Germany adventure at www.blurty.com/users/jholm
http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Iceman

"Crazy. I take the opposite approach. It's not easy for me to get more
than a week off at a time, but it's easy enough to get a week's
vacation a couple times in a year, so what I usually do is pick one
city and spend a week there. So far I've done that in Madrid and
London. Next on the list is Prague. Some might say I'm spending too
much time in each place but I like to get a feel for the city, not just
see how quickly I can fill up my digicam's memory card."

I have the same point of view as you do. I like to experience and
explore places and meet local people rather than just take photos of
myself in front of stuff. I could spend a month in London and do
something different and interesting every day.

Old June 30th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Jootje Jootje is offline
Member

Cool

Hey jason!

Two weeks is really not enough to see the highlights of Europe. I live in europe for 20 years now and still haven't seen the biggest part of it.

http://www.interrail.nl/1113467832198.html

Watch the map at this page, here you can see they splitted Europe in different zones. One of these zones is really enough to travel in two weeks. For example the orange zone. Start in Amsterdam, travel to Haarlem ( if the weather is nice you can go to scheveningen or zandvoort beach!!) and to Rotterdam. From Rotterdam it takes only two or three hours to Brussels. in Belgium you have to see antwerp en brugge of course!) From Brussels it will only take couple of hours to go to paris by train. In Paris you should spen a week at least, but if you stil got time left, you can go to Versailles and giverny (monet gardens!). Or you can try Normandy and go to Mont Saint Michel and Utah beach. When you're in Normandy you can go also to Jersey and Guernsy ( the british Islands).

Or try another 'zone'. Start in milano, then to genova, Cinque Terre (a must see spot!!!) and Rome. From rome you can go to napels or, of course, to Athens by boat! I think the boatticket is included in the eurail-ticket.

Grts, Jootje
Old July 1st, 2005, 01:18 AM
Hatunen

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:11:35 -0400, "Richard"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .

Hearst Castle - Yosemite- Death Valley - Sequoia Park ...

Sounds like a great itinerary. What do you plan to see after lunch?

Those four places can easily be done in the three weeks proposed
by the OP.