Travel in New Zealand during Easter Holidays

Old December 16th, 2003, 01:58 PM
S. Shumilla

Default Travel in New Zealand during Easter Holidays

Hello,

I started to plan a visit to NZ from March 18 through April 15 2004
and after getting excited about being able to take that much time off
from work, I did some research and realized this falls on the begining
of Easter Holidays. I would like to stay at hostels and use Intercity
Coach as my main form of transport. I would prefer not to pre-book
anything.

Will this be possible at this time of year or will most accomodation
and transport be booked solid? I've heard differing opinions on this
and I'm having a hard time making up my mind.

Thanks!
Old December 24th, 2003, 10:57 AM
vicki Steven

in article , S. Shumilla at
wrote on 17/12/03 2:58 AM:

Hello,

I started to plan a visit to NZ from March 18 through April 15 2004
and after getting excited about being able to take that much time off
from work, I did some research and realized this falls on the begining
of Easter Holidays. I would like to stay at hostels and use Intercity
Coach as my main form of transport. I would prefer not to pre-book
anything.

Will this be possible at this time of year or will most accomodation
and transport be booked solid? I've heard differing opinions on this
and I'm having a hard time making up my mind.

Thanks!

Hostels are not quite as sensitive to NZ school holidays as Intercity buses
- being used mostly by tourists - however last year it was quite apparent
that the "high season" now extends well into April in many popular places.
Booking is highly recommended to avoid disappointment or a blow out in your
budget eg a couple of days ago I planned to stay at the highly recommended
Surat Bay Lodge in Owaka (Catlins Coast) however it, and the other 2 hostels
in town were full so we (2) ended up in an $80 motel instead of $36 beds.
Now Owaka might not be thought of as peak tourist destination but it was
overflowing at its very small seams.

Also there is usually only 1 bus per day to most places (although on major
routes there might be more & on some routes 2 or more companies).

Vicki