turkey to greece to croatia?

Old February 26th, 2004, 05:30 AM
Natalia

Default turkey to greece to croatia?

Hi

I would like (at the end of the year) to travel from turkey (near izmir)
to greece (maybe athens and some islands) and then to croatia
(specifically dubrovnik and split)

has anyone done this trip before? Any tips or recommendations would be
great and also should i slowly work my way back to london through land
or maybe just catch a plane from Zagreb would be cheaper?

Thanks
Nat

Old February 26th, 2004, 10:36 AM
SlinE

Try http://www.traghettionline.net

From Greece Igoumenitsa .. by ferry to Bari/Italy .. then also by ferry to
Dubrovnik/Croatia.

Ivan
http://www.korcula.net

Old February 26th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Inge Harsten

"Natalia" skrev i melding
Hi

I would like (at the end of the year) to travel from turkey (near izmir)
to greece (maybe athens and some islands) and then to croatia
(specifically dubrovnik and split)

Hi.

From Izmir you get to Greece via Cesme, only about one hour by car further
west from the city, also the same distance more or less from the airport.

From Cesme there are ferrie to Chios City, fairly infrequent during
off-season (maybe twice each week,), much more frequent during the summer
months. You should be able to find the current schedule on the web somewhere
by searching for Cesme and the Chios ferry connection. Or the most recent
Lonely Planet for either Turkey or Greece has the basics.

These boats are usually for the day trippers from both sides to see Greece
or Turkey respectively, and most tickets are sold round trip. There is of
course nothing that prevents you from buying one way tickets only.

From Chios (or the neighbouring islands) you may take an overnight ferry to
Athens, or you may decide to go island-hopping in the general direction of
the mainland/Piaeus, which sounds like much more fun.

There is also a boat connection from Ayavalik north of Izmir to Mytilene on
the island of Lesbos; from Izmir Cesme would be a much more practical
option.

I have done this (taken the Cesme ferry numerous times, not so much during
the last 4 -5 years however). Exit tax may sometimes be a bit stiff,
depending upon the political situation and who wants to offend whom. At the
moment things should be fairly relaxed.

For the Croatia leg I know nothing, from what I see the other poster in this
thread has information about that.

Turkey is fantastic. The food is the best. Eat as much as you can before you
go to Greece, at lest as far as Chios is concerned. The nadir of Greek
cuisine. Great beaches though. And uncrowded, particularly in the north.

All the best.

Inge H

change freejunk to freesurf for mail

Old February 26th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Inge Harsten

"Inge Harsten" skrev i melding
"Natalia" skrev i melding

You should be able to find the current schedule on the web somewhere
by searching for Cesme and the Chios ferry connection. Or the most recent
Lonely Planet for either Turkey or Greece has the basics.

Hello again.

Looked around a bit myself and there is a schedule he

http://www.traveltoturkiye.com/ferry.htm#ces

There may be more than company involved on this route, and you should check
the information once you get to Turkey. However according to this there is
at least one weekly connection (Thursdays) during the winter months.

IngHar

change freejunk to freesurf for mail

Old February 27th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Natalia

Thanks very much for replying!

I actually talked to a friend and when she was in that area she caught a
"island hopper" boat from kusadasi(?), turkey to athens and it stopped at many
islands.. i think she said you could geta pass for 30 days which sounds
fabulous! after that i will try to get to croatia without going through
albania and bosnia. i am sure to find a boat from greece directly to
dubrovnik or split.

thanks again
natalia

Old February 29th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Carole Allen

well, i didn't. you can take a boat from Patras (superfast ferry) and
go to bari or ancona, then take another boat across to croatia (split,
zadar, dubrovnik, etc.). when we went we couldn;t find any boats
direclty linking greece and croatia. Be forewarned that the boats run
more frequently in the summer. particularly between italy and
croatia, after early september some lines only go 2 or 3 times a week.

google superfast ferry - goes from greece (I think it's sff.com)

google jadrolinija for croatia