Da Vinci Code shooting starts in Paris

Old June 26th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Mxsmanic

Martin writes:

and it was rubbish too.

So I heard.

--
Transpose gmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
Old June 26th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

Any true depiction of Jude the Obscure will have the audience sawing
through their wrists before they've got half-way through their popcorn.
It's one of the bleakest books I've ever read - I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Travel trivia - they filmed (at least part of) it in Durham.

A lot of it was filmed in the Edinburgh Old Town - the High Street
near Parliament Square and around Greyfriars Churchyard. I haven't
seen the film but I have seen the set.

You can often watch movies being shot below George IV Bridge in summer,
in the cul-de-sac that leads to the back entrance of the High Court,
which is easy to dress up as an 18th or 19th century street. But it
does get *some* traffic; shooting must occasionally be interrupted to
make way for police vans loaded with thugs on their way to jail. If
they'd only ship them out in tumbrils the courts could make a bit of
money out of their location.

Old June 26th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Frank Clarke

We were in the Louvre near the end of May and my wife insisted on taking a tour.

Our tour guide was a pushy Brit who hustled us along at a breakneck pace. Right
near the Madonna Of The Rocks I started to get a pain in my chest and, thinking
it might be angina, popped a nitroglycerine tablet under my tongue. Big
mistake. Nitro drops your BP precipitously -- this is OK if your BP is high,
but mine wasn't -- and I passed out.

If I had my wits about me I would have splayed out in my best Vitruvian Man
imitation -- and waited for someone to tell me "shooting hasn't started yet..."

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)
Old June 26th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Runge

Tout le monde sauf toi et les fayots d'evleth qui squattent le groupe

"Magda " ? a écrit dans le message de news:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:15:55 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, "Runge"

arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :

... On s'en fout aussi

Qui ça, "on" ?

... "Earl Evleth" a écrit dans le message de news:
... ...
... Le Journal du Dimanche has a short article
... on the shooting starting for the Da Vinci Code
... in Paris.
... Judging by the number of tourist site which will
... be films the French tourist industry should be happy.
... Some new actors have been announced. They too
... will be French.
... Jean-Pierre Marielle, a well know French actor.
... He will play Sauniere, Sophie's grandfather
... who gets kill at the beginning of the film.
... He looks the part and his photo can be seen
... at
http://www.allocine.fr/personne/fich...onne=2889.html
... He has been one of my preferred actors for years. He has played a
broad
... class of film types. I remember him first in Les Galettes de
Pont-Aven.
... The priest who is a member of Opus Dei and a major character
throughout
... the film will be Etienne Chicot who also looks the part
http://www.allocine.fr/personne/fich...onne=5793.html
... The film crew does not have access to the interior of St. Sulpice
... and was we know the book, and the film is not favorably viewed
... in the Vatican non plus. But the movie viewer will get a good
... tour de Paris.
... The film will come out May 19th next year.

Old June 27th, 2005, 02:05 PM
AJH

The Bible got the count of legs wrong since what is forbidden are

"All the winged insects that walk on all fours are detestable to you."

Insects have 6 legs.

Is there any defense of the Bible on this latter point??

Yes, he
http://www.scripturessay.com/q367c.html
The original Hebrew word was not "insects", it was hard to translate
but meant something like "teeming creatures".
Alan

Old June 27th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Earl Evleth

On 27/06/05 15:05, in article
, "AJH"
wrote:

The Bible got the count of legs wrong since what is forbidden are

"All the winged insects that walk on all fours are detestable to you."

Insects have 6 legs.

Is there any defense of the Bible on this latter point??

Yes, he
http://www.scripturessay.com/q367c.html
The original Hebrew word was not "insects", it was hard to translate
but meant something like "teeming creatures".
Alan

Interesting, the English language section the web site gives that part
of Leviticus I was referring to.

20 'All the winged insects that walk on all fours are detestable to you.

21* 'Yet these you may eat among all the winged insects which walk on all
fours: those which have above their feet jointed legs with which to jump on
the earth.

22* 'These of them you may eat: the locust in its kinds, and the devastating
locust in its kinds, and the cricket in its kinds, and the grasshopper in
its kinds.

23 'But all other winged insects which are four-footed are detestable to
you.

That site said----

"Everything that the Bible states about Science is true. Science may be
behind what the Scriptures reveal. The Bible is NOT a textbook on Science,
but any time it reveals incidentally a fact of science, it is without
error."

"The case you bring up is interesting. I think there are a number of
explanations possible. "Four" is the wrong word to look at in the original
in this situation. This is apparently a problem word for the translators.
Let me illustrate. Here is how the main translations in English have
translated this passage."

So the claim of the writer is that the Bible is without error but the
English translation must be in error. There is no real reference
to the passage in Hebrew which has been "mistranslated".

The critical part is the "four-footed", how "teeming" got mixed up with
that I can`t imagine. Generally the passages seem to be describing insects
(spiders have 8 legs) of a type which frequent the Middle East.
Claiming that there is a translation problem with "four" sounds absurd.
That "six" and "four" might have gotten mixed up, OK, but not four
and teeming.

Next anybody who claims that the Bible "is without error" is functioning
of the basis of faith, not reason. My other point in the posting is that
that kind of "faith" which led to the dark ages, the mass destruction
of books and knowledge in general that took place after the 4-5th century.

My view of this Biblical passage is that those insects which were found
edible were put on the "eat" list, and those which were not (even poisonous)
were not. It was trial and error by man which gave rise to the food taboos
mixed in with some superstition which might have excluded edible foods
for various reasons. I can see people brought up that certain foods
are dirty and dangerous will not eat them, I have Muslim friends who,
like the Jews, will not eat pork. Having been told all one's life
that it is yucky food is good enough reason why not to eat it. I have
eaten fried cricket in Taiwan, its saving grace is being prepared
with lots of garlic and served with beer.

In the meanwhile, when possible, I will turn my attention to lobster.
Very unyucky if well prepared.

Old June 27th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Mxsmanic

AJH writes:

Yes, he
http://www.scripturessay.com/q367c.html
The original Hebrew word was not "insects", it was hard to translate
but meant something like "teeming creatures".

The Earth teems with livestock, and they walk on all fours. Are cattle
and sheep forbidden?

--
Transpose gmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.