American humour

Old August 25th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Default American humour

ROCHESTER, N.H. -- A doctor's advice to a woman to lose weight
backfired when she filed a complaint with the state saying the doctor
was hurtful, not helpful.

Dr. Terry Bennett says he tells obese patients their weight is bad for
their health and their love lives.

"I told a fat woman she was obese," Bennett says. "I tried to get her
attention. I told her, `You need to get on a program, join a group of
like-minded people and peel off the weight that is going to kill you.'"

He says he wrote a letter of apology to the woman when he found out she
was offended.

Her complaint, filed about a year ago, was initially investigated by a
panel of the New Hampshire Board of Medicine, which recommended that
Bennett be sent a confidential letter of concern.

The board rejected the suggestion in December and asked the attorney
general's office to investigate.

Bennett rejected that office's proposal that he attend a medical
education course and acknowledge that he made a mistake.

Old August 26th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Alan S

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:25:40 +0100, DDT Filled Mormons
wrote:

It was innapropriate of him to suggest that here obesity was related
to her being too fat.

Err..???

I'm on a few medical ngs and lists; some of them are
expressing howls of outrage - in support of the woman.

I don't agree with them. I'd throw her out of court.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:53 AM

wrote:

It was innapropriate of him to suggest that here obesity was related
to her being too fat.

Err..???

I'm on a few medical ngs and lists; some of them are
expressing howls of outrage - in support of the woman.

I don't agree with them. I'd throw her out of court.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

which is what would happen in any normal country

Old August 26th, 2005, 10:07 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Martin wrote:

wrote:

It was innapropriate of him to suggest that here obesity was related
to her being too fat.

Err..???

I'm on a few medical ngs and lists; some of them are
expressing howls of outrage - in support of the woman.

I don't agree with them. I'd throw her out of court.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

which is what would happen in any normal country

Only if she wore a hat?

On the subject of normal countries, some Americans have a wonderful
sense of humour. Think of good ol' Pat Robertson, fine upstanding
religious man who said of the Venezuelan president-

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he
thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to
go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war, and I
don't think any oil shipments will stop"

He claimed he was misinterpreted by the press, and that-

"'I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should 'take
him out.' 'Take him out' could be a number of things including
kidnapping.''

So far, so hilarious. Oddly, in a moment of (presumably) divine
revelation, he suddenly realised that he had said what he'd claimed he
didn't. (following this now?)

"Is it right to call for assassination? No, and I apologize for that
statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who
thinks the U.S. is out to kill him.''

Who says some Americans don't have a sense of humour!

--
David Horne-
http://www.davidhorne.net
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Alan S

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:35:17 +0200, Martin
wrote:

I'm on a few medical ngs and lists; some of them are
expressing howls of outrage - in support of the woman.

I don't agree with them. I'd throw her out of court.

Weight lifter or what?
--
Martin

I use diet and exercise - the exercise helps a lot:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:45 AM
DDT Filled Mormons

wrote:

It was innapropriate of him to suggest that here obesity was related
to her being too fat.

Err..???

I'm on a few medical ngs and lists; some of them are
expressing howls of outrage - in support of the woman.

I think this whole "fat support" culture is a big part of the problem.
Bunches of fat people sitting around reassuring each other that being
fat is ok. It's not ok, it's disgusting unhealthy.

If there is one thing each of us is responsible for, it's how much we
eat, and how much exercise we do. There is rarely ever any real reason
to be grotesquely obese.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

[...]