Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

Old July 23rd, 2006, 04:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Alohacyberian

Default Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

"RJ" wrote in message
Carmen L. Abruzzi wrote:

Even trying to be very careful and using a razor blade, and
all the time in the world, I found it impossible to remove the sticker
intact, it would rip and tear this way and that as I tried to pry it
away from the plate. The bond of the glue between the sticker and the
plate was stronger than the fabric of the sticker itself. I doubt that
a thief looking for a quick, easy target could have done any better.

The thieves don't go to extraordinary lengths to peel the tag; they use
metal snips to cut off the whole corner of your plate. Connecticut
recently announced they're changing from a license tag to a windshield
decal because of the tag theft problem.

Yes, when my tabs were stolen in Mexico, the plate was cut with metal snips.
In Hawaii, I'm told they use a hair dryer to warm up the tab and it comes
off more easily. So, if you see someone wandering around with a hair dryer,
and they aren't drying their hair, watch them closely! ;-) KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI or

Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
DevilsPGD

In message .com
"Sapphyre" wrote:

Alohacyberian wrote:
It is now, but, during the time frame I referenced it was still the
nationally mandated 55 miles per hour. What the CHP will allow now, I'm not
sure. After they increased the speed limit I was only pulled over once. I
was going 138 according to the cop and 140 according to the speedometer, so
naturally, I got a ticket. He mercifully ticketed me for 83, so the fine
wasn't that bad and I agreed to attend a safe-driving class (though I didn't
live in California) and the ticket never showed up on my driving record. KM

138 in miles or kilometers? If it's kilometers, then 83 is about 138...
If you're doing 138 miles, I have to ask first what kind of car you
were driving, how many other cars you had to pass to maintain that
speed for more than a few seconds... and are ya nuts???

I live in Canada, and my friend and I were doing 180 in a 90 zone
(kilometers), because we were 16 and he was showing me how fast his car
went. I'm thankful ever so much that in the three miles he did this, no
one pulled us over. It's actually criminal to do more than 50 kph above
the limit in Ontario, and charges like "dangerous/wreckless driving"
are possible with such a high speed.

Anyway, our limit here is 100, or 60mph at the conversion (Ontario). I
haven't seen any signs posted for 110, but I know they exist in British
Columbia on the freeway (which is close to 70 mph, but not quite...)

Alberta is also largely 110...

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
sechumlib

On 2006-07-22 23:19:51 -0400, "Sapphyre" said:

I live in Canada, and my friend and I were doing 180 in a 90 zone
(kilometers), because we were 16 and he was showing me how fast his car
went. I'm thankful ever so much that in the three miles he did this, no
one pulled us over. It's actually criminal to do more than 50 kph above
the limit in Ontario, and charges like "dangerous/wreckless driving"
are possible with such a high speed.

"Wreckless driving" is lovely, and not something to object to. It's
"reckless driving" that's the problem.

Old July 23rd, 2006, 03:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Sapphyre

sechumlib wrote:
"Wreckless driving" is lovely, and not something to object to. It's
"reckless driving" that's the problem.

In Canada, it's one of the consequences of doing more than 50 mph over
the speed limit... It's not that the person operating the vehicle is
being wreckless by passing, weaving, and other bad behaviour... it's
the fast speed that is dangerous on the road. Basically doing 150 kph
on the 401 would constitute to reckless driving. If I'm not mistaken,
the fine for doing 140 kph is $295. They don't post any higher than
that. I have seen people doing 150-160. When I do 125-130 in the left
lane, people tailgate me, and continue to do so even if I were speeding
up.

I gave up on all that fast driving... now I just go with the flow, and
on the 401 that's 110-125. No ticket until 117 according to OPP, but I
doubt they ticket anyone under 120 or they'd give everyone a ticket.
Unless I'm passing a slew of trucks and trying to keep up with the car
in front and not annoy the guy behind me, I try to keep it under 120 to
avoid the ticket... The thing is, I live here, so it's a lot easier for
me to fight it. I would drive to another juristiction to fight a
speeding ticket, since I'm not the "pass everyone" type of driver. I
stay in my lane and go with the flow, and move left just to pass all
the trucks. Recently, I even gave up on daytime driving, because at
night I can have the road to myself. So I can do 100-110 (my comfort
zone at night), and not be bothered with all the trucks. Most of them
are not on the road overnight it seems...

S.

Old July 23rd, 2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Caveat

"Sapphyre" wrote:

I live in Canada, .. it's actually criminal to do more than 50 kph above
the limit in Ontario, and charges like "dangerous/wreckless driving"
are possible with such a high speed.

In Arizona, 20 mph or more over the posted speed limit is a
F-E-L-O-N-Y. So, when the posted freeway speed limit is 55 mph, and
most people drive in the fast lanes at around 75, just being out
there puts one at risk of serious problems -- one way or the other.

Caveat
Old July 23rd, 2006, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
John F. Carr

In article ,
Caveat wrote:
"Sapphyre" wrote:

I live in Canada, .. it's actually criminal to do more than 50 kph above
the limit in Ontario, and charges like "dangerous/wreckless driving"
are possible with such a high speed.

In Arizona, 20 mph or more over the posted speed limit is a
F-E-L-O-N-Y.

No, it isn't.

--
John Carr )
Old July 23rd, 2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
sechumlib

On 2006-07-23 10:09:13 -0400, "Sapphyre" said:

sechumlib wrote:
"Wreckless driving" is lovely, and not something to object to. It's
"reckless driving" that's the problem.

In Canada, it's one of the consequences of doing more than 50 mph over
the speed limit... It's not that the person operating the vehicle is
being wreckless by passing, weaving, and other bad behaviour [snip]

You just don't get it, do you? There's no such word as "wreckless".

Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Keith Willshaw[_1_]

"Caveat" wrote in message
"Sapphyre" wrote:

I live in Canada, .. it's actually criminal to do more than 50 kph above
the limit in Ontario, and charges like "dangerous/wreckless driving"
are possible with such a high speed.

In Arizona, 20 mph or more over the posted speed limit is a
F-E-L-O-N-Y.

Nope - its a class 3 Misdemeanour

Excessive Speed §28-701.02

This is a serious criminal charge that occurs only in the following speeding
situations:

1.. Speeding over 85 mph
2.. Speeding over 20 mph over the posted limit in residential or business
districts
3.. Speeding over 35 mph approaching school zones.
A conviction for Excessive Speed is a Class 3 misdemeanor and could result
in up to thirty days in jail and three points against your driver's license.

Keith

Old July 23rd, 2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Caveat

(John F. Carr) wrote:

In article ,
Caveat wrote:
"Sapphyre" wrote:

I live in Canada, .. it's actually criminal to do more than 50 kph above
the limit in Ontario, and charges like "dangerous/wreckless driving"
are possible with such a high speed.

In Arizona, 20 mph or more over the posted speed limit is a
F-E-L-O-N-Y.

No, it isn't.

Well, it was for many years I believe, but thanks to Keith I see that
it is now classified a "Serious Criminal Offense" and can get you 30
days in the slammer, (maybe even in Sheriff Arpaio's tent city --
where it must be really delightful today at 115-degrees in the shade
-- but much hotter in a tent in the sun with no air conditioning. Some
might even call such treatment torture, eh?

But the point made in the rest of my post (which you snipped) is still
germane: ".. when the posted freeway speed limit is 55 mph, and
most people drive in the fast lanes at around 75, just being out
there puts one at risk of serious problems -- one way or the other."

Interstates 10 and 15 pass right through the Valley of the Sun -- aka
metro Phoenix (or Los Angeles, East if your name is Hatunen) -- and
the speed limit is indeed 55 mph. And many/most people drive at about
75 mph. Since these roads can be said to fully lie within a business
and residential district the threats of either driving at the
prevailing speed, or 20 mph slower, are fairly daunting IMO.

Then there are the photo speed cameras put up on the 101 Freeway by
the *City* of Scottsdale, and other firsts in the area like the
left-turn arrows that were short-timed by the city of Mesa (with those
intersections photo-equipped, natch):

http://www.highwayrobbery.net/redlig...sMesaMain.html

Caveat

(really!)