Mex, TexMex etc.

Old September 14th, 2003, 03:32 PM
TMOliver

Default Mex, TexMex etc.

MareCat vented spleen or mostly
mumbled...

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:20:40 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

Cafe's & restaurants? The Krogers here make fresh tortillas by hand in
house.

If you believe that they're made by "hand" Frank, there's this bridge for
sale....

Yep. The H-E-Bs (Platinum and Central Market) do too. I frequently get
a bag of hot tortillas just before I check out to eat on the way home.

Have I got news for you....Both HEB and Kroger's totillas are made in a
machine.....(still good, and better fresh than the available competition
made yesterday).

Handmade tortillas are arare occurence, requiring a bit of manual skill no
loger much taught (although "gorditas" are easy and oh so good!)

TMO
Old September 14th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Go Fig

wrote:

Cafe's & restaurants? The Krogers here make fresh tortillas by hand in
house.

If you believe that they're made by "hand" Frank, there's this bridge for
sale....

Yep. The H-E-Bs (Platinum and Central Market) do too. I frequently get
a bag of hot tortillas just before I check out to eat on the way home.

Have I got news for you....Both HEB and Kroger's totillas are made in a
machine.....(still good, and better fresh than the available competition
made yesterday).

I'd guess 80% of tortillas in Mexico are made with a machine, granted it
is just a press with a counter weight... but a machine none the less.

Handmade tortillas are arare occurence, requiring a bit of manual skill no
loger much taught (although "gorditas" are easy and oh so good!)

Gorditas require much more attention then simple tortillas. To make
them right you must continually spoon hot oil over the top to make them
fluff up.

jay
Sun, Sep 14, 2003

TMO

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old September 14th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Frank F. Matthews

I'll have to pay more attention to what mechanical assistance the little
old ladies use. Does mixing the dough with an electric mixer disqualify
them? Or only pressing them by machine? FFM

Old September 15th, 2003, 01:06 AM
TMOliver

"Frank F. Matthews" vented spleen or
mostly mumbled...

I'll have to pay more attention to what mechanical assistance the
little old ladies use. Does mixing the dough with an electric mixer
disqualify them? Or only pressing them by machine? FFM

Electric mixers for masa qualify as a non-contributory pre-patting step,
not barred under CFR24-13(911B), however electric rolling or pressing
classifies all such as "machine made". Debate ranges over the little
silver aluminum "one at atime" hand presses. If you've a Kroger with
little old ladies all in a row patting, it's compliance with Kroger's union
contracts must be marginal, as the Tortilla Makers Local #204 has not won
an election calling for a hourly wage plus item count bonus in recent
years.

TMO
Old September 15th, 2003, 01:11 AM
TMOliver

Go Fig vented spleen or mostly mumbled...

Gorditas require much more attention then simple tortillas. To make
them right you must continually spoon hot oil over the top to make
them fluff up.

Gorditas, as with many Mexican food items, vary greatly in style. In parts
of Mexico, "pan frying" or "deep frying" is as unknown as it is in parts of
China, and the tortillas in enchiladas are softened in the recipe's sauce
rather than in the more common cooking oil/lard.

I'm of the school that holds that "manteca" (lard) is required for proper
gorditas (and makes the best churros whether it be in Madrid or Zacatecas).

TMO