Need advice on Travel insurance providers in Canada

Old August 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Chris[_12_]

Default Need advice on Travel insurance providers in Canada

Hi -

I now live in the UK, and it's been a while since I have bought travel
insurance in Canada.

I'm looking to buy coverage for my parents who will be travelling
within Canada for a week. They just need flight insurance
(cancellation, missed flights, flight delays) and the usual sorts of
baggage insurance. Health will be covered on their regular provincial
plans.

Who would sell this? Is that the banks or insurance brokers? We just
need regular coverage - nothing too fancy. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Judy[_2_]

"Chris" wrote in message
Hi -

I now live in the UK, and it's been a while since I have bought travel
insurance in Canada.

I'm looking to buy coverage for my parents who will be travelling
within Canada for a week. They just need flight insurance
(cancellation, missed flights, flight delays) and the usual sorts of
baggage insurance. Health will be covered on their regular provincial
plans.

Who would sell this? Is that the banks or insurance brokers? We just
need regular coverage - nothing too fancy. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

You can try this -
http://www.coverme.com/travel/?MKT=W...FROHQAodYkIWqw

Mutual Life is a "well known" insurance company. Or, if your parents are
using a travel agent, the agent can make recommendations when it comes to
insurance.

Judy in Canada

Old August 7th, 2008, 08:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message "Judy"
wumpygirl@yahoo-dot-com wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

I'll second Manulife (coverme.com), I use them for everything except my
travel insurance, their travel insurance is fairly competitive and was
my second choice, but they had some overlapping coverage that my credit
card already offered, so I ended up going with insurance designed to
complement what my credit card offered at slightly lower cost.

One thought though, as a Canadian, I've always been advised to purchase
insurance at home that covers me while traveling, rather then purchasing
in the destination country. Is traveling from the UK different?
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Chris[_12_]

"Chris" wrote in message
Hi -

I now live in the UK, and it's been a while since I have bought travel
insurance in Canada.

I'm looking to buy coverage for my parents who will be travelling
within Canada for a week. They just need flight insurance
(cancellation, missed flights, flight delays) and the usual sorts of
baggage insurance. Health will be covered on their regular provincial
plans.

Who would sell this? Is that the banks or insurance brokers? We just
need regular coverage - nothing too fancy. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

You can try this -
http://www.coverme.com/travel/?MKT=W...FROHQAodYkIWqw

Hi Judy and Devils - thanks for this advice. I'll check them out.

Devils, you ask about the UK experience. I'm Canadian but my
permanent home is now in the UK so as a result, for my own travel I
need to use UK insurance services regardless of where I go. I'm
impressed (and astounded) by the very wide range of travel insurance
providers here - everyone from your local grocery store, your bank,
insurance broker and more seems to offer travel insurance. It's all
ridiculously competitive - where I bank my regular (and nominal)
monthly bank fee covers full travel insurance (medical, flight delays,
cancellations, baggage etc etc etc) for my immediate family free of
charge.

The distinction, in my situation is that query is on behalf of my
parents who are already resident in Canada and flying to another
destination in Canada - I've bought them the holiday as a gift and
didn't think to ask about insurance when I made the booking ;-)

Cheers
Chris

Old August 8th, 2008, 01:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message

Chris wrote:

The distinction, in my situation is that query is on behalf of my
parents who are already resident in Canada and flying to another
destination in Canada - I've bought them the holiday as a gift and
didn't think to ask about insurance when I made the booking ;-)

Ahh, very good. I had initially read that as they were visiting Canada
from the UK, and flying around Canada for a bit.

I'm personally using RBC's insurance for my own travel needs, as well as
home and business insurance, and Manulife (through Coverme.com) for
health. Coverme.com was my second choice for travel.

RBC negotiates well for larger packages, but for travelers' insurance,
you'll pay listed rates.
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Chris[_12_]

On Aug 8, 1:47*am, DevilsPGD wrote:
In message

Chris wrote:
The distinction, in my situation is that query is on behalf of my
parents who are already resident in Canada and flying to another
destination in Canada - I've bought them the holiday as a gift and
didn't think to ask about insurance when I made the booking ;-)

Ahh, very good. *I had initially read that as they were visiting Canada
from the UK, and flying around Canada for a bit.

I'm personally using RBC's insurance for my own travel needs, as well as
home and business insurance, and Manulife (through Coverme.com) for
health. *Coverme.com was my second choice for travel.

RBC negotiates well for larger packages, but for travelers' insurance,
you'll pay listed rates.

Hi Devils -

I tried the coverme site yesterday and it seemed pretty thorough.
However, I was shocked by the prices. It was something like $250 to
cover both of my parents for a week-long holiday. They're in their
mid-60s and in perfect health. This cost seems really steep - is that
normal?

Also what are the norms in Canada these days for regular flight
insurance? I would want to ensure a variety of risks are covered -
flight cancellation, missed flights (due to 3rd party), flight delay,
baggage delay, baggage damage, baggage loss, loss / theft of documents
whilst on holiday, loss / theft of other possessions (camera, etc).
All of these are standard on my own coverage, but it's not clear what
my expectation should be for Canadian offerings.

Any thoughts (or indeed any routine risks I'm forgetting? They're not
travelling with the Crown Jewels or anything like that, so there
shouldn't be anything too complicated about their case...)

Chris
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message

Chris wrote:
[...]

That's higher then I'd expect. I wouldn't expect their health status
should matter at all unless you were looking at health insurance
coverage too (and for a Canadian within Canada, I wouldn't generally
worry about it if they have gov't plus private coverage, although if
they're stepping foot into the US, definitely get additional coverage)

I got $120 total for trip interruption for a 7 day trip within Canada on
my last quote for my girlfriend and I, when I was debating per-trip or
annual coverage.

My own travel insurance is only about $100/year for one person, for
unlimited travel within Canada, and unlimited trips of up to 7 days
outside of Canada -- This is the direction I went, since I travel to the
US frequently, but rarely more then 4 or 5 nights.

This is trip interruption only, no medical, my regular medical has a
health add-on that pretty much covers whatever care a doctor recommends
to allow me to return home ASAP, plus the flight home.

Did you book through a travel agent? If so, contact that travel agent,
they should know more options then I do, I narrowed my search down by
age and specific needs, being 27 and traveling regularity, my needs are
quite different then my parents' needs when they do an occasional
vacation. If I happen to see my parents in the next couple days, I'll
find out what my dad used on their last big trip a couple weeks ago.