Takayama vs. Hiroshima

Old October 7th, 2009, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
John Keiser

Default Takayama vs. Hiroshima

I've been to Japan several times [Kyoto, Nara, Tokyo, Kamakura].
At the end of November I will have 5 days/6 nights to allocate between
Takayama and Hiroshima. Anyone care to speculate if I am better offer
splitting 2/3 in favor of one or the other? Thanks for any comments.

Old October 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
R C

In article ,
"John Keiser" wrote:

I've been to Japan several times [Kyoto, Nara, Tokyo, Kamakura].
At the end of November I will have 5 days/6 nights to allocate between
Takayama and Hiroshima. Anyone care to speculate if I am better offer
splitting 2/3 in favor of one or the other? Thanks for any comments.

24 hours is enough for Hiroshima (spend the night at Miyajima).
Hiroshima is an ugly modern city, while Takayama has many very nice old
quiet areas.
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Marion

R C wrote:
In article ,
"John Keiser" wrote:

I've been to Japan several times [Kyoto, Nara, Tokyo, Kamakura].
At the end of November I will have 5 days/6 nights to allocate
between Takayama and Hiroshima. Anyone care to speculate if I am
better offer splitting 2/3 in favor of one or the other? Thanks for
any comments.

24 hours is enough for Hiroshima (spend the night at Miyajima).
Hiroshima is an ugly modern city, while Takayama has many very nice
old quiet areas.

I agree, but the A-bomb monument is very impressive and we found the
Shukkei-en (garden) in Hiroshima much nicer than the famous Kenruku-en in
Kanazawa. The castle in Hiroshima is not bad either. In Takayama it is also
nice to visit the open air museum Hida-no-Sato.

Enjoy your stay.

Marion

Old October 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , John
Keiser says...
I've been to Japan several times [Kyoto, Nara, Tokyo, Kamakura].
At the end of November I will have 5 days/6 nights to allocate between
Takayama and Hiroshima. Anyone care to speculate if I am better offer
splitting 2/3 in favor of one or the other? Thanks for any comments.

Two days are sufficient for Hiroshima: one for Hiroshima itself and one
for Miyajima.
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Japan/
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , R C says...
24 hours is enough for Hiroshima (spend the night at Miyajima).
Hiroshima is an ugly modern city, while Takayama has many very nice old
quiet areas.

It may be modern, but it's not ugly. The Peace memorial park is
extremely impressive, everybody should visit it.

It makes sense to spend full day in Miyajima, to have enough time to
soak up the atmosphere. I believe you can walk around the island.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Ydy

"John Keiser" wrote in message
news:XJqdnfW349G3fFbXnZ2dnUVZ_vSdnZ2d@powerusenet. com...
I've been to Japan several times [Kyoto, Nara, Tokyo, Kamakura].
At the end of November I will have 5 days/6 nights to allocate between
Takayama and Hiroshima. Anyone care to speculate if I am better offer
splitting 2/3 in favor of one or the other? Thanks for any comments.

We spent two nights in Takayama in Sumiyoshi Ryokan, which was the highlight
to our 3 week trip to Japan.
Takayama is great for some laid-back sightseeing.

Hiroshima was interesting, especially the bomb-museum. We only stayed one
night. Went to miyajima the first day. Spent several hours there (visit the
shrine, went up to the top with the cable-cart and hiked back for some
hours). Miyajima is highly recommended.

Another town worth visiting (probably after Takayama) is Kanazawa. Lots to
see and do. The garden, samurai and geisha districts, and it has a really
good modern art museum.

Yorick

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
geno.y

snip
On Oct 7, 5:53*am, "Marion" wrote:
R C wrote:
In article ,
"John Keiser" wrote:

Kanazawa. The castle in Hiroshima is not bad either. In Takayama it is also
nice to visit the open air museum Hida-no-Sato.

Marion

If time is tight, give Hiroshima Castle a miss. It’s not much of a
castle and I don’t think you can go inside. At least it was closed the
last time I was there.

Instead I suggest stopping in Himeji either going to/from Hiroshima.
Himeji Castle is noted as one of the best castles in Japan. It’s
around a 15-minute walk from the station, there are usually goodwill
guides that will give you a free tour around the castle. No tipping
required, but a small gift from your home town would be appreciated
I’m sure.

There are coin lockers at Himeji Station for your luggage. Plan on 3
to 4 hours for this and you won’t be rushed. Can be done in 2.5 hours.
Castle entrance fee: ¥600

To answer your question, Hiroshima requires around half a day for
sightseeing, Peace Memorial Park and the Museum. There are a lot of
hotels around the station, makes for easy access to the street car (to
museum) and the local train that goes to Miyajima Station.

Takayama requires 2 nights, 3 nights if you want to do a day trip to
Shirakawago, round trip bus. If you do Shirakawago, you can give the
Hida Folk Village in Takayama a miss. Do the Heritage village at
Shirakawago instead, it’s better.

My other suggestion would be 2 nights Takayama, take the morning bus
to Shirakawago, take the afternoon bus to Kanazawa. Overnight in
Kanazawa, do a half day sightseeing in Kanazawa then train to
Hiroshima.

Assume you’re using a Japan Rail Pass.

Enjoy!

Geno

Old October 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Marion

geno.y wrote:
snip
On Oct 7, 5:53 am, "Marion" wrote:
R C wrote:
In article ,
"John Keiser" wrote:

Kanazawa. The castle in Hiroshima is not bad either. In Takayama it
is also nice to visit the open air museum Hida-no-Sato.

Marion

If time is tight, give Hiroshima Castle a miss. It’s not much of a
castle and I don’t think you can go inside. At least it was closed the
last time I was there.

You can go inside and have a nice view from the top. But I agree Himeji is
much nicer.

Instead I suggest stopping in Himeji either going to/from Hiroshima.

Takayama requires 2 nights, 3 nights if you want to do a day trip to
Shirakawago, round trip bus. If you do Shirakawago, you can give the
Hida Folk Village in Takayama a miss. Do the Heritage village at
Shirakawago instead, it’s better.

It is even nicer to stay overnight in Shirakawago. It isn't cheap but worth
every yen. The Tourist Info at the bus station can help you.

My other suggestion would be 2 nights Takayama, take the morning bus
to Shirakawago, take the afternoon bus to Kanazawa. Overnight in
Kanazawa, do a half day sightseeing in Kanazawa then train to
Hiroshima.

If you like to see some pictures, please have a look at our website
http://www.fahrenfort.nl at look for the Japan page :-) Enjoy.

Marion

Old October 8th, 2009, 07:31 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
geno.y

snip
On Oct 8, 10:22*am, "Marion" wrote:
geno.y wrote:
snip
On Oct 7, 5:53 am, "Marion" wrote:
R C wrote:
In article ,
"John Keiser" wrote:

Takayama requires 2 nights, 3 nights if you want to do a day trip to
Shirakawago, round trip bus. If you do Shirakawago, you can give the
Hida Folk Village in Takayama a miss. Do the Heritage village at
Shirakawago instead, it’s better.

It is even nicer to stay overnight in Shirakawago. It isn't cheap but worth
every yen. The Tourist Info at the bus station can help you.
Marion

The only caveat is that they literally roll up the street at night in
Shirakawago. You take an onsen bath and it’s off to bed after dinner.

Most of the accommodations in town are Minshuku, family run bed &
breakfast (normally includes dinner too). The going rate per person
per night is around ¥10000 (and up) that includes 2 meals plus the
room. The highlight is most are in farm houses that are over 200 years
old. They all have modern toilets and bath facilities (shared not
private).

It’s all Japanese style, you sit on the floor to eat meals, sleep on a
futon. Breakfast can be Japanese style too, miso soup, rice, salted
fish, pickles. Most will serve you coffee & toast if you ask the night
before.

Because most guests in town are staying in accommodations that include
meals, there aren’t that many restaurants in town. Most are only open
for lunch or an early dinner.

Geno

Old October 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Glenn Sahara

Takayama is nice....netsuke museum, AM market along the river....super
shabu shabu restaurant next to the large meat market...two nights max.
You can wander the Ogimachi area in a day...then train down to
Kurashiki..has a nice canal area lined with weeping willows, shops. If
you like ceramics, take a train from Kurashiki to Okayama to Bizen. If
around Kyoto on the 25th or21st. or first Sun. of Dec., head to the
temple flea markets...best shopping deals in the country! You have done
Kyoto, so this may be a repeat. I don't do temples, but Eikando in late
Nov. is spectacular for maples.