Atlanta, Georgia ideas for vacation?

Old April 16th, 2004, 08:39 PM

Default Atlanta, Georgia ideas for vacation?

Have an opportunity to spend the first week in June in Atlanta. Can
anyone recommend an itinerary for the week of visits, shopping etc?

tia

Old April 16th, 2004, 10:58 PM
JJ

Stone Mountain and Town Center Mall for starters
Little 5 points and Fernbank Science center

Iskandar wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Have an opportunity to spend the first week in June in Atlanta. Can
anyone recommend an itinerary for the week of visits, shopping etc?

I have replied and extended your newsgroups to include "atl.general"
Good luck and I hope you have fun.

Old April 17th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Keith

IIRC,

Coca Cola factory is always fun:

http://www.woccatlanta.com/

The infamous underground:

http://www.underground-atlanta.com/

Don't underestimate the heat and especially the humidity in June.

Hope this helps,

Keith

Old April 17th, 2004, 01:36 AM
NoSpam

wrote in message
Have an opportunity to spend the first week in June in Atlanta. Can
anyone recommend an itinerary for the week of visits, shopping etc?

How about eating at the "Varsity" ??

Old April 17th, 2004, 02:45 AM
clint

Don't spend more than two days in Atlanta! A waste!

Old April 17th, 2004, 03:23 AM
The Sanity Inspector

Zoo Atlanta's gorilla habitats are world class, and the rest
of it is a fun visit, too.
You might enjoy the Renaissance Festival, just south of town.
There are always plenty of local concerts, art shows, little
theaters and such in the suburbs, too.
But if you're coming down from Canada and need to make your
vacation time count, then the CNN tour, the High Museum of Art, and
the Carter Center should be on the short list.

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.
Old April 17th, 2004, 05:54 AM
ImFlying2LA

Subject: Atlanta, Georgia ideas for vacation?
Date: 4/16/04 3:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Have an opportunity to spend the first week in June in Atlanta. Can
anyone recommend an itinerary for the week of visits, shopping

For shopping, try Lenox Square.

etc?

tia

Old April 17th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Icono Clast

(Brian) wrote:
wrote in message
Have an opportunity to spend the first week in June in Atlanta. Can
anyone recommend an itinerary for the week of visits, shopping etc?

I do not recommend visiting the soday maker's "museum". Yes, seeing
some of the century-old advertisements and bottles is fun but it's
primarily an ad that you pay to see. The best part of it is being able
to taste the formulę for the palates of many nations.

Catch a show at the Fox Theatre, if for no other reason than to check
out the architecture from the inside.

Thank you. I'll do that when next I'm there.

When I was a kid, I'd tell tourists to pay to the admission to our
five-thousand seat Fox Theater just to see it. The architect
considered it to be his masterpiece. It cost $2,000,000 to build in
the early 20s and featured objects d'art from a czar's palace. It was
absolutely magnificent in every respect. It was closed in 1961 and
razed in '62 or '63. It was said that all that had to be done to
collapse the building was to turn on the absolutely incredible organ
and play the lowest note. Before razing, there were quite a few organ
concerts and I attended several. The organist made a point to tinkle
all the bells and whistles hidden all over the place. Lotsa fun!
Today's Fox Plaza is a non-descript apartment building.

The Sanity Inspector said:
CNN tour, the High Museum of Art, and
the Carter Center should be on the short list.

I would never recommend the High to anyone. It's the saddest excuse
for a museum of art I've ever visited. However, the statue of Lot's
Wife is the only work in marble I've ever seen with a veiled face.
That made the visit worth my while but I doubt that it would for
others.

Near Atlanta is an amusement park with two good roller-coasters,
particularly the Georgia Cyclone.

I wonder if the original poster is aware that it's called "Hotlanta"
and for good reason.
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old April 17th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Marie

Take a quick trip South to spend a day at Callaway Gardens. Well worth
the drive (~ 1 hour depending on where you are in Atlanta) if you enjoy
the outdoors
Here is their website http://www.callawaygardens.com

---