trip to usa december/january

Old April 25th, 2006, 12:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default trip to usa december/january

Well this isn't a new subject, but I have more questions and don't now
how to continue on without starting a new topic - Can anyone help???
Niagara Falls in december - to go or not to go. does anyone else have
an opinion
I really really want to go to the amish dfistrict in pennyslvania and
thought we could stop there for a night or 2 on our way to Niagara
Falls.
Anymore opinions on Christmas in new York or our other option is Grand
Canyon at Xmas. Also need somewhere reasonable to stay in new York if
anyone knows of anywhere
Shpuld we wait until we get to USA to buy cold weather gear. I have
already bought thermals and fairly warm jackets, but I don't think that
will be enough.

Thansk heaps tp the people who have givenm advice it has been extremely
useful and I have been checking out all the links people have given me
as well.
Corinne

Old April 25th, 2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

cora wrote:
[...]

I don't think you realize what the weather will really be like in the
American north west in Dec/Jan. If you don't have warm clothes now and
you don't experience cold weather normally, you are going to be VERY
uncomfortable - especially with three small kids. The driving can be
very DANGEROUS in the mountains of Pennsylvania in the winter, again
especially if you are not experienced in driving in snow and icy
conditions. I recommend DON'T DO IT!!!

Save this part of your trip for another time, save the money, come back
to New York in the spring or fall.

As others, including me, have said in your other thread DO NOT drive to
Niagara falls at that time of year. Not worth the trip. I also don't
understand the idea that you have to save money on a NYC hotel but are
willing to spend hundreds of dollars outfitting five people with cold
weather cloths (that you probably won't use at home) for the trip. Why
not save the money on the clothes and plan a return trip to NYC when the
weather is better. Christmas in NYC can be great but again, with three
small kids may be difficult. You will have to make that decision for
yourself. I would not have gone with my kids at that age. (and for me
it is a short drive home).

I am not an expert on air fares but wouldn't a return ticket to San
Francisco with a return car rental now and a return ticket to NYC at
another time be more reasonable than the many short one way flights and
the one way car rental you plan to take in this trip? Others can
probably answer that better than I.

Hope this helps.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l
Old April 25th, 2006, 01:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"cora" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well this isn't a new subject, but I have more questions and don't now
how to continue on without starting a new topic - Can anyone help???
Niagara Falls in december - to go or not to go. does anyone else have
an opinion

Go. The falls in winter are much less crowded with tourists
and most of the more blatant commercial absurdities are closed.
If its really cold the ice formations can be amazing

I really really want to go to the amish dfistrict in pennyslvania and
thought we could stop there for a night or 2 on our way to Niagara
Falls.

Not a bad idea, alternatives include one of the Adirondack ski resorts
or the delightful town of Niagara On The Lake (on the Canadian side)

http://www.niagaraonthelake.com/even...o?f=2006-12-01

Keith

Old April 25th, 2006, 01:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
I don't think you realize what the weather will really be like in the
American north west in Dec/Jan.

North EAST - sorry.

Old April 25th, 2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

cora wrote:
Well this isn't a new subject, but I have more questions and don't now
how to continue on without starting a new topic - Can anyone help???
Niagara Falls in december - to go or not to go. does anyone else have
an opinion

Driving can be a big problem. Snowstorms will make the roads almost
impossible and dangerous.

I really really want to go to the amish dfistrict in pennyslvania and
thought we could stop there for a night or 2 on our way to Niagara
Falls.
Anymore opinions on Christmas in new York or our other option is Grand
Canyon at Xmas. Also need somewhere reasonable to stay in new York if
anyone knows of anywhere
Shpuld we wait until we get to USA to buy cold weather gear. I have
already bought thermals and fairly warm jackets, but I don't think that
will be enough.

You won't be able to get those in California.

Old April 25th, 2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 25 Apr 2006 10:19:16 -0700, "PeterL"
wrote:

cora wrote:

Shpuld we wait until we get to USA to buy cold weather gear. I have
already bought thermals and fairly warm jackets, but I don't think that
will be enough.

You won't be able to get those in California.

Of course you can. Even Los Angeles has ski shops.

Old April 25th, 2006, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Peter L. writes:
Driving can be a big problem. Snowstorms will make the roads almost
impossible and dangerous.

That should be "might", not "will". As I said, there's no way to tell now.
--
Mark Brader "Doing the wrong thing is worse than doing nothing."
Toronto "Doing *anything* is worse than doing nothing!"
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Bill wrote:

I also suggest skipping the Niagara Falls excursion this time. Going
direct from NYC to the Falls is a long, dull drive at the best of
times. The Buffalo/Niagara area is famous for bad weather in the
winter, and if you're not accustomed to driving in winter conditions
you could have a very unpleasant experience. Going by way of Penna.
is a much longer trip, and as was noted, Penna. is very hilly and also
is prone to treacherous driving conditions in the winter.

It's not bad weather. It is snow. You slow down a little on the roads and
it looks great. Road crews in that part of NY do a great job of sanding
and plowing the roads to keep traffic moving.

Old April 26th, 2006, 12:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:22:04 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

Bill wrote:

I also suggest skipping the Niagara Falls excursion this time. Going
direct from NYC to the Falls is a long, dull drive at the best of
times. The Buffalo/Niagara area is famous for bad weather in the
winter, and if you're not accustomed to driving in winter conditions
you could have a very unpleasant experience. Going by way of Penna.
is a much longer trip, and as was noted, Penna. is very hilly and also
is prone to treacherous driving conditions in the winter.

It's not bad weather. It is snow. You slow down a little on the roads and
it looks great. Road crews in that part of NY do a great job of sanding
and plowing the roads to keep traffic moving.

Highway driving isn't the best time to be learning slippery condition
driving.