Tours from Paris to Normandy Battlefields

Old September 14th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Dave.US

Default Tours from Paris to Normandy Battlefields

I'm looking for an organized bus tour that departs from Paris and
tours the Normandy beach and battlefields on Sunday, October 5th.

Does anyone know of a tour from Paris that runs on Sundays? I realize
this isn't the best way of seeing the region and the beaches, but I'll
be pressed for time and will have only 1 day free during this business
trip and I want to see something else besides Paris.

Thanks,
Dave
Old September 14th, 2003, 03:29 PM
higonnet

Dave.US wrote:

Does anyone know of a tour from Paris that runs on Sundays? I realize
this isn't the best way of seeing the region and the beaches, but I'll
be pressed for time and will have only 1 day free during this business
trip and I want to see something else besides Paris.

I guess I don't understand why a guided tour would take less time than
renting a car and going by one's self with a decent guidebook (Michelin
green guide to Normandy) and map (again Michelin (especially the map
devoted to the battlefields and cemeteries
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASI...696252-5200120))

Bernard Higonnet
Old September 14th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Dave.US

1. I don't speak french, so navigating is more difficult;
2. I hate driving anywhere near Paris,
3. I'll waste too much time getting lost; and
4. I can drink a bit of wine during the day without worrying about
having impaired driving abilities later in the night when I drive back
to Paris.

Any other thoughts?

Old September 14th, 2003, 04:24 PM
GG

"Dave.US" wrote in message

I'm looking for an organized bus tour that departs from Paris and
tours the Normandy beach and battlefields on Sunday, October 5th.

Does anyone know of a tour from Paris that runs on Sundays? I realize
this isn't the best way of seeing the region and the beaches, but I'll
be pressed for time and will have only 1 day free during this business
trip and I want to see something else besides Paris.

Thanks,
Dave

Both Cityrama www.cityrama.com and Paris Vision www.parisvision.com have
one-day tours, but neither operates the tour on Sundays. Cityrama has a
Saturday tour if that would work for you.
GG

Old September 14th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Karen Selwyn

Dave.US wrote:
I'm looking for an organized bus tour that departs from Paris and
tours the Normandy beach and battlefields on Sunday, October 5th.

Does anyone know of a tour from Paris that runs on Sundays?

Since no mass market tours run on Sunday -- and since everyone is in
agreement that these tours are the least desirable way to see an area --
making private arrangements is a good compromise. You could take a train
to an agreed-upon station and the guide would take over from there.

A while back -- and I think I'm talking a couple of years -- this
newsgroup had a discussion about private guides in the battlefield area.
A couple of names were highly recommended. Perhaps a Google search
will turn up that thread or some current group participant can chime in
with the names.

Karen

Old September 14th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Dave.US

Thanks, I've also started to reach that same conclusion. It appears
that there are a couple of daily tours, one out of Caen and the other
out of Bayeux. I've got emails in to both of them to get more
information and to resolve a couple of logistics questions.

Thanks for responding.

Dave