Victoria and Butchart Gardens

Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:22 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Default Victoria and Butchart Gardens

Joseph Coulter wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:19:11 -0800, "Marcia R."
wrote:

Joseph Coulter wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:07:43 -0800, "Marcia R."
wrote:

Thanks John. I did call Princess this morning, although I didn't get
too much info. They can't tell me yet where the Victoria Shuttle drops
us off until we're on the ship apparently. I have no clue what "in
town" means. My only concern is that we chose that option over a
sightseeing tour only to find out all the shops are closed. Hopefully,
we can make that decision on board without all of our choices sold out.
I do agree about the gardens, though...not really being a
flower/nature kind of girl. It just seemed like a good idea at first.

Marcia
Victoria isn't that large so you really don't need to worry about
where you will be dropped off. My guess is that it will be near the
Empress Hotel. That puts you in the center of almost everything with
the parliament buildings and the BC museum basically toward the ship
and the shopping (parliament. the inner harbour,the empress and the
shopping area all line up)

Sounds good, thanks. I looked at the google satellite map of the area,
so I have an idea where that all is. :-)

Marcia

I should have nmentioned, since you have google maps open that the
ship will be out in the outer harbour. which as you can see is n't
really far from the center of things.

I'll look again. Thanks John and Joseph for all the info. I really
appreciate it. :-)

Marcia
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Island Grampa

"Marcia R." wrote in message

Thanks John. I did call Princess this morning, although I didn't get too
much info. They can't tell me yet where the Victoria Shuttle drops us off
until we're on the ship apparently. I have no clue what "in town" means.
My only concern is that we chose that option over a sightseeing tour only
to find out all the shops are closed. Hopefully, we can make that
decision on board without all of our choices sold out. I do agree about
the gardens, though...not really being a flower/nature kind of girl. It
just seemed like a good idea at first.

Marcia

Hi Marsha

We live near Victoria and always get annual passes to Butchart Gardens. It
is a wonderful show at any time of year! The only thing we haven't seen is
the fireworks night (it costs extra for pass members).

What time of day do you have in Victoria, and what day of the week? There
is lots of "stuff" to do, and most of the shops stay open late when there
are cruise ships in.

If you're fit and like walking you can walk into town in about 20 minutes.
There is a good Tourist Information place just up the road past the Empress
Hotel. They would have information about what attractions are available, at
that time of day. The Royal British Columbia Museum, Undersea Gardens,
Miniature World and the Wax Museum are all within a couple of blocks of the
Harbor. I don't know what their hours are, but I'm sure the information
place would have that.

Enjoy our Capital city, whatever you decide to do!!

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:53:41 -0800, "Island Grampa"
wrote:

"Marcia R." wrote in message

[...]

Tobie, I was jealous when it was "an island in the Pacific" Now that I
know which island it is insane jealousy! You have such a lovely place
to call home. We are watching the Olympics and everytime they play the
BC ad I want to cry because I am not there.
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Island Grampa wrote:
"Marcia R." wrote in message

[...]

We are there on Saturday night, 6/12 from around 7 till midnight.

Marcia
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

wrote:

"Marcia R." wrote in message
[...]

I keep seeing the ad and I'm glad I WILL be there. LOL. I hope there
are still some Olympic pins around when we get there.

Marcia
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee McCauley[_2_]

Island Grampa wrote:
"Marcia R." wrote in message

[...]

Hey Tobie, I watched while your Canadians took the gold in ice dancing
last night. What a spectacular performance by those two, and also by
the US team, who took the silver.

Ermalee
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Island Grampa

"Ermalee McCauley" wrote in message

Hey Tobie, I watched while your Canadians took the gold in ice dancing
last night. What a spectacular performance by those two, and also by the
US team, who took the silver.

Ermalee

Yes, Ermalee

I've had my 50" Sony Bravia, HD on all day since the games started. I think
it's better than being there! The Canadian competitors are doing quite well
too, but not quite as well as expected. Congratulations to the winners from
Team USA too, but I've just got to say, "GO TEAM CANADA!!!"

I've been so busy watching the games, I don't get anything done around here.
Well I got out the other day and cleared up the branches that were gathering
on our roof from the wind storms, and did some garden work. The snowdrops
are blooming and daffodils are about to pop here. In Victoria, the
daffodils are in full bloom and many of the early cherry trees are just
loaded with pink blossoms.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

Old February 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"Island Grampa" wrote in message

[...]

Hi All,

I'm pleased to find myself rooting for the US and the Canadian athletes.
After all, we are joined by the longest peaceful international boundary in
the history of the world. Pretty special.

Harry Cooper

Old February 24th, 2010, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Marcia R. plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 2/23/2010
12:57 PM:
Island Grampa wrote:
"Marcia R." wrote in message

[...]

I did a quick look up of Butchart Gardens hours.They are as follows:

May 1/10—June 14/10 9:00am - 6:00pm
June 15/10—Sept 4/10 9:00am - 10:00pm
September 5—15/10 9:00am - 9:00pm
September 16—30/10 9:00am - 5:30pm
October 1—14/10 9:00am - 4:30pm
October 15—31/10 9:00am - 4:00pm
November 1—30/10 9:00am - 3:30pm
December 1/09—January 6/10 9:00am - 9:00pm
Christmas Day, 2010 1:00pm - 9:00pm

^1 The Spring Prelude Indoor Garden will close a little earlier on these
dates to allow for wedding set-up.
Feb 6th - 3:30pm
Feb 14th - 3:00pm
March 13th - 3:30pm
March 20th - 3:30pm
March 21st - 3:30pm
March 27th - 3:30pm
* Additional late open hours: May 20, 21, 22, 27, 28, 29 and Jun 3, 4,
5, 10, 11, 12. Gates close at 9pm with grounds open until 10pm.

Admission Rates

Come see what more than 50 gardeners can do. Backed up by some 200 staff
in visitor and food services in the off-peak season and 500 in the peak
season, you can be assured your visit to The Gardens will be an amazing
experience.

Accepted Payment Methods
Visa, MasterCard, Discover, JCB, Cash, Interac Bank/Debit Card,
Travellers Cheques

2010 admission rates are quoted in Canadian dollars and are subject to tax.

2010 Dates Adult (18+) Youths (13-17) Child 12) Groups1

Winter
Jan 7 - Jan 14/10 $15.48 $7.86 $1.90 $13.93
Jan 15 - March 20/10 $20.95 $10.48 $1.90 $18.86
Spring
March 21 - June 14/10 $26.19 $13.10 $1.90 $23.57
Summer
June 15 - Sept 30/10 $28.10 $14.05 $2.86 $25.29
Autumn
Oct 1 - Oct 31/10 $23.57 $11.90 $1.90 $21.21
Nov 1 - Nov 30/10 $18.10 $9.05 $1.90 $16.29
Christmas
Dec 1/10 -
Jan 6/11 $23.57 $11.90 $2.86 $21.21

Here's a link if you opt to go through Grayline Tours instead of the
Princess Tour
http://www.graylinewest.com/victoria...ing_tours.aspx

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
My Shutterfly Page http://photosbybrianmk.shutterfly.com/

Old February 25th, 2010, 02:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Island Grampa wrote:
"Marcia R." wrote in message

[...]

We decided against taking the Butchart Gardens tour, but thanks for
looking all of that up for me. It looks like we're going to take the
shuttle to town.

Marcia