Princess Cruise shipboard account question

Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:22 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Default Princess Cruise shipboard account question

We've already paid for the cruise in full by cash. I just discovered
the price went down another $210. Yay. We are getting a refund check
back, and I would love to just keep that cash aside to put on our
shipboard account when we board. I can do that, right? If the tips and
anything we might spend doesn't amount to that much, do they refund the
balance? How does that work? Thanks.

Marcia
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Marcia R. wrote:
We've already paid for the cruise in full by cash. I just discovered
the price went down another $210. Yay. We are getting a refund check
back, and I would love to just keep that cash aside to put on our
shipboard account when we board. I can do that, right? If the tips and
anything we might spend doesn't amount to that much, do they refund the
balance? How does that work? Thanks.

You can pay your shipboard account in cash, but it is much easier to put
it on a credit card. You can either put the money aside to pay the
credit card bill or take the cash for expenses ashore.

If you want to pay your onboard account in cash, I hope someone here can
tell you how it works.

Whatever, enjoy the found money.

sue
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
tathraman

Lucky you! Alas, here in Australia no refund is offered and if there
is an unfavourable currency fluctuation, we pay extra - if it's
favourable, the cruise line doesn't have to give credit!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Sue Mullen wrote:

Marcia R. wrote:
We've already paid for the cruise in full by cash. I just discovered
the price went down another $210. Yay. We are getting a refund check
back, and I would love to just keep that cash aside to put on our
shipboard account when we board. I can do that, right? If the tips
and anything we might spend doesn't amount to that much, do they
refund the balance? How does that work? Thanks.

You can pay your shipboard account in cash, but it is much easier to put
it on a credit card. You can either put the money aside to pay the
credit card bill or take the cash for expenses ashore.

If you want to pay your onboard account in cash, I hope someone here can
tell you how it works.

Whatever, enjoy the found money.

sue

I guess putting it aside to pay a credit card bill would work. I've had
a "stash" put away for the cruise for so long, I'm juggling. LOL.

Marcia
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Marcia R. wrote:

I guess putting it aside to pay a credit card bill would work. I've had
a "stash" put away for the cruise for so long, I'm juggling. LOL.

Marcia

Marcia, two ways you can do this.

1) Open your account on the ship with a credit card as usual. Then go
to the Purser's Desk and ask them to place $XXX amount of cash on your
account and give them the cash. When that is used up, the balance will
be charged to your credit card. If you do not use all of it up, the
remaining money will be refunded to you in a check the last morning of
the cruise.

2) Open your account on the ship with cash at the beginning of the
cruise. You deposit your money at the Purser's Desk. If you use it all
up during the week, the Purser will call you and ask you to replenish
your account with more money. If you do not spend everything, the
balance will be refunded to you in a check.

When you do your pre-cruise online registration, there will be
information there about onboard accounts.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

George Leppla wrote:
Marcia R. wrote:

[...]

If we use up the cash, can we then put stuff on a credit card or is it
only cash at that point?

Marcia
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:47 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 3/1/2010 9:05 PM, Marcia R. wrote:
George Leppla wrote:
1) Open your account on the ship with a credit card as usual. Then go
to the Purser's Desk and ask them to place $XXX amount of cash on your
account and give them the cash. When that is used up, the balance will
be charged to your credit card. If you do not use all of it up, the
remaining money will be refunded to you in a check the last morning of
the cruise.

If we use up the cash, can we then put stuff on a credit card or is it
only cash at that point?

Marcia

Just do option 1 and they'll have your credit card to charge when you
run out of money that you have deposited. Seems like a lot of work for
something that can easily be accomplished by sending the money to your
credit card and just charging your onboard stuff. Also, did you ask the
cruise line if they would just apply the credit directly to your onboard
account? I would have thought that would be the best thing for them.

BTW, why would you pay for your cruise in cash? Presumably you did not
give it to the cruise line so it had to go through a travel agent. You
have absolutely no protection against fraud if you pay in cash. And you
lose at least 1% in rebates you could get by using a credit, not to
mention the protection in case anything goes wrong.

Bill
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

George Leppla wrote:
[...]

I had a bunch of cash saved up (there are advantages to living in Las
Vegas. LOL) and didn't want to put it through my checking account. We
paid through the Auto Club. We have the insurance, so I'm not sure what
fraud you think might happen. I just wanted to pay for it and be done.

Marcia
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 3/1/10 6:22 PM, Marcia R. wrote:
We've already paid for the cruise in full by cash. I just discovered
the price went down another $210. Yay. We are getting a refund check
back, and I would love to just keep that cash aside to put on our
shipboard account when we board. I can do that, right? If the tips and
anything we might spend doesn't amount to that much, do they refund the
balance? How does that work? Thanks.

Marcia

Others can chime in with more info here, but IMO, next time use a credit
card to pay for your cruise. Just in case. If something were to go
terribly wrong (such as the cruise line or even the travel agent going
bankrupt - both of which has happened) you want the power of the credit
card company behind you to stop payment or do whatever they can to
protect your investment. If you paid cash... you're out of luck.
You'll never see money again. Never pay cash.

--Tom
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
peter

On 3/2/2010 12:56 AM, tathraman wrote:
Lucky you! Alas, here in Australia no refund is offered and if there
is an unfavourable currency fluctuation, we pay extra - if it's
favourable, the cruise line doesn't have to give credit!

What cruise line and time frame are you talking about? Doesn't the
cruise contract allow you to cancel up to about 70 days before departure
without penalty, so that you can book again at the reduced price? Some
travel agents will watch the price for you and arrange for a credit for
any difference if the price for your category is reduced. Also, if he
contract specifies a price US rather than Australian dollars, you are
entitled to a refund if the US$ declines. Does your contract say "Heads
we win, Tails you lose"?