Why is 1-way cheaper than round?

Old September 21st, 2003, 09:12 PM
Brett

Default Why is 1-way cheaper than round?

Why are 1-way tickets cheaper than round trip?

Can I use a round trip ticket as a 1 way? Is there any type of penalty for
doing this?

Thanks,
Brett

Old September 21st, 2003, 09:28 PM
James Robinson

Brett wrote:

Why are 1-way tickets cheaper than round trip?

I think you meant to write that the other way around.

One way tickets are less expensive than full fare round trip tickets.
The difference is that there are discounts on round trip tickets, which
will often make them less expensive than one-way, depending on how early
you book your flights. They don't discount one-way, since there is no
reason to.

Can I use a round trip ticket as a 1 way?

Yes, you can do that. Just make sure it is the first flight that you
take, and not the second. If you miss the first flight, the rest of you
reservation will be canceled.

Is there any type of penalty for doing this?

Not normally.
Old September 21st, 2003, 10:05 PM
Mike Cordelli

Think you have it backwards, but know what you mean. What you want to do is
use half the ticket and toss the other half, it's called throw away
ticketing. The airlines don't want you doing it, but lots of people do.

Old September 21st, 2003, 10:07 PM
Brett

"James Robinson" wrote in message
Brett wrote:

Why are 1-way tickets cheaper than round trip?

I think you meant to write that the other way around.

Yes - I had it backwards. Round trip is cheaper than 1 way. Thanks on the
explanations.

Brett

Old September 21st, 2003, 11:59 PM
Miguel Cruz

Mike Cordelli wrote:
Think you have it backwards, but know what you mean. What you want to do
is use half the ticket and toss the other half, it's called throw away
ticketing. The airlines don't want you doing it, but lots of people do.

Just make sure you use the first half! If you wait and try to use the second
half only, you'll discover that your ticket has been cancelled.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:26 AM
mrtravel

Brett wrote:

Why are 1-way tickets cheaper than round trip?

I think you meant to write that the other way around.

Yes - I had it backwards. Round trip is cheaper than 1 way. Thanks on the
explanations.

Actually, unrestricted/refundable round trip is more than
unrestricted/refundable one way, otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:05 AM
Fly Guy

James Robinson wrote:

Can I use a round trip ticket as a 1 way?

Yes, you can do that. Just make sure it is the first flight
that you take, and not the second. If you miss the first flight,
the rest of you reservation will be canceled.

I'm not questioning the common belief of the above paragraph. But
this made me wonder if (or where) that stipulation is documented /
printed. Anyone care to read the fine print on their latest ticket
and confirm?

Is such a disclaimer visible when you buy tickets on-line (given that
as the majority of tickets are e-tickets there is increasingly no
fine-print on your ticket at the time of purchase because there is no
ticket anymore).
Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:38 AM
Mike Cordelli

It's in most airline's contract of carriage, that you have to use ticket
segments in the order they were issued or they will cancel them.

For example, from one airlines contract of carriage:

--------start quote
B) FLIGHT COUPONS WILL BE HONORED ONLY IN THE ORDER IN WHICH THEY ARE
ISSUED, AND ONLY IF ALL UNUSED FLIGHT COUPONS AND AHTE PASSENGER COUPONS ARE
PRESENTED TOGETHER.

---------end

And yes, the spelling mistake is part of the wording of the contract.

They then add:

---------start

C) USE OF COUPONS FROM TWO OR MORE TICKETS ISSUED AT ROUND TRIP FARES FOR
THE PURPOSE OF CIRCUMVENTING APPLICABLE TARIFF RULES (SUCH AS ADVANCE
PURCHASE/MINIMUM STAY REQUIREMENT) IS NOT PERMITTED. UA AGENTS AND
AUTHORIZED TRAVEL AGENTS ARE PROHIBITED FROM ISSUING TICKETS, COMMONLY
REFERRED TO AS "BACK TO BACK", UNDER SUCH CIRCUMSTANCES WHEN THERE IS
OBVIOUS INTENT TO ABUSE AND/OR MISUSE RESTRICTED ROUND TRIP FARES. AGENTS
FOUND ISSUING SUCH TICKETS MAY BE LIABLE FOR THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FARE
PAID AND THE FARE FOR TRANSPORTATION USED. UA HAS THE RIGHT TO DENY
TRANSPORTATION TO PASSENGERS FOUND UTILIZING TICKETS IN THIS MANNER UNLESS
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FARE PAID AND THE FARE FOR TRANSPORTATION USED IS
COLLECTED.

----------end

The contract of carriage from most airlines is dozens of pages (this one is
46 pages), it's way more then fits on a ticket or a website.

It's not a common belief, it's a fact, miss any segment for any reason and
they cancel the rest of the ticket. Plain and simple.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:16 AM
Dave Proctor

Whilst undoubtedly under the effects of alcohol, James Robinson
wrote:

Brett wrote:

Why are 1-way tickets cheaper than round trip?

I think you meant to write that the other way around.

One way tickets are less expensive than full fare round trip tickets.
The difference is that there are discounts on round trip tickets, which
will often make them less expensive than one-way, depending on how early
you book your flights. They don't discount one-way, since there is no
reason to.

Yes "they" do - I purchase discount one way tickets all the time, some
of them as low as 25% of the full Y fare.

=========

Dave

Don't Drink Drive....
It's A Laundry Detergent
Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:52 AM
James Robinson

Dave Proctor wrote:

James Robinson wrote:

They don't discount one-way, since there is no reason to.

Yes "they" do - I purchase discount one way tickets all the time, some
of them as low as 25% of the full Y fare.

Yes, but I was replying to the original poster, who found more expensive
one-way tickets, which suggested a major airline, on a route that
doesn't have low fare competition. They don't discount one-way tickets
on those routes.