Need advice on Moscow and St. Petersburg

Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Thornhill

Default Need advice on Moscow and St. Petersburg

I'm planning on going to each city this summer, but wasn't sure how
many days to spend there. I'm thinking four days for each city.

Comments please. Thanks.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

"
I'm planning on going to each city this summer, but wasn't sure how
many days to spend there. I'm thinking four days for each city.

Comments please. Thanks.

If traveling from the US I think you have it pretty well on. I wouldn't
count the arrival day or the intra Russia commute as any of the four each.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rajeev Aloysius

On Feb 23, 6:04*am, Thornhill wrote:
I'm planning on going to each city this summer, but wasn't sure how
many days to spend there. I'm thinking four days for each city.

Comments please. Thanks.

I would say a longer stay in St. Petersburg will yield dividends. It
is stunningly beautiful, and there is so much to see outside the city,
such as Petershof and the Amber Room as well. Watch out for
pickpockets and scam artistes in both places. Get an idea of costs of
transport, food and attractions, as touts and taxi drivers will try to
cheat you.

Have a great holiday ..

Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Thornhill

On Feb 23, 3:04*am, Rajeev Aloysius wrote:
On Feb 23, 6:04*am, Thornhill wrote:

I'm planning on going to each city this summer, but wasn't sure how
many days to spend there. I'm thinking four days for each city.

Comments please. Thanks.

*I would say a longer stay in St. Petersburg will yield dividends. It
is stunningly beautiful, and there is so much to see outside the city,
such as Petershof and the Amber Room as well. Watch out for
pickpockets and scam artistes in both places. Get an idea of costs of
transport, food and attractions, as touts and taxi drivers will try to
cheat you.

Have a great holiday ..

What do you think about shaving a day off Moscow and adding it to St
Petersburg, so 5 days in SP and 3 in Moscow (and these would be full
days)?
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Davis

Thornhill wrote:
On Feb 23, 3:04*am, Rajeev Aloysius wrote:
On Feb 23, 6:04*am, Thornhill wrote:

I'm planning on going to each city this summer, but wasn't sure how
many days to spend there. I'm thinking four days for each city.

Comments please. Thanks.

*I would say a longer stay in St. Petersburg will yield dividends. It
is stunningly beautiful, and there is so much to see outside the
city, such as Petershof and the Amber Room as well. Watch out for
pickpockets and scam artistes in both places. Get an idea of costs of
transport, food and attractions, as touts and taxi drivers will try
to cheat you.

Have a great holiday ..

What do you think about shaving a day off Moscow and adding it to St
Petersburg, so 5 days in SP and 3 in Moscow (and these would be full
days)?

I depends on what you have already planned to see. You could easily spend
all your time in either city. It's a matter of knowing your priorities, and
then allocating your available time between the two cities.

Old February 24th, 2009, 05:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rajeev Aloysius

On Feb 24, 4:32*am, Thornhill wrote:
On Feb 23, 3:04*am, Rajeev Aloysius wrote:

On Feb 23, 6:04*am, Thornhill wrote:

I'm planning on going to each city this summer, but wasn't sure how
many days to spend there. I'm thinking four days for each city.

Comments please. Thanks.

*I would say a longer stay in St. Petersburg will yield dividends. It
is stunningly beautiful, and there is so much to see outside the city,
such as Petershof and the Amber Room as well. Watch out for
pickpockets and scam artistes in both places. Get an idea of costs of
transport, food and attractions, as touts and taxi drivers will try to
cheat you.

Have a great holiday ..

What do you think about shaving a day off Moscow and adding it to St
Petersburg, so 5 days in SP and 3 in Moscow (and these would be full
days)?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, that would be great. Check out the out-of-city-tours, and leave
at least a full day to see the Hermitage. Even though they say the
Louvre is the largest museum, the Hermitage has more treasures on
display including the largest collection of Rembrandts outside
Amsterdam, and the most fabulous collection of Fabergé eggs.

Rajeev
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_4_]

Thornhill wrote:
I'm planning on going to each city this summer, but wasn't sure how
many days to spend there. I'm thinking four days for each city.

Comments please. Thanks.

I spent nearly a year in Moscow some years back, and I visited a number
of cities in that time including of course St Petersburg. I must say
that I personally found Moscow more interesting than St Petersburg.

T.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
prima[_2_]

Travel to Russia has become easier than ever. Remember, however those
visas are required. And you need a fully licensed travel company like
Isram World of Travel, or RNG to provide the necessary visa support and
registration.

You might want to spend more days in St. Petersburg, may be 4-5. I
don't know how many days you have for your entire trip. Few cities can
offer so many stunning attractions and intriguing moods as St.
Petersburg - City of the Tsars. Visit Hermitage museum, form that place,
Dvortzovaya' Nabereznaya (bank of Neva River) take a high- speedboat to
Petrodvorets, the summer residence of Russian Tsar, famous with its
fantastic parks and fountains. It's about 30-40min o/w. Another very
romantic suburb of St. Petersburg is Pushkin (Tsar's Village). Visit the
Palace of Kathrine the Second with its famous Amber room. In Russia,
taxi fees are usually negotiated with the driver ahead of time. I
suggest you to stay in a center of the city, then you can just walk from
one place to another and avoid the hassle of using public
transportation, which is still leave much to be desired. Nevsky Prospect
is the main street. The best time of the year to visit St, Petersburg is
the second half of June-July. In August it’s usually cooling down in St.
Petersburg, especially at the end of the month.

You can take a train from St. Petersburg to Moscow. Some of the trains
are very comfortable and safe. The price is high though. The day time
trains are less expensive.

It takes from 4 to 7 hours to get to Moscow depending on a type of
train.
Moscow is completely different city, also beautiful on its own way.
Visit Red Square, Kremlin and its museums, Tretiakov Art Gallery. Try
Moscow Metro. You'll be amazed of the beauty of that underground. I
suggest you to take the Golden Ring tour from Moscow, and then you will
have an opportunity to visit some other Russian cities, true Russia.
Hope it helps.

--
prima

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.com' (http://forums.TRAVEL.com).
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com