Denver to San Francisco

Old December 1st, 2003, 10:43 PM
Marianne

Default Denver to San Francisco

Next summer we like to travel through some western states. We are from the
Netherlands and it will be our fourth trip to the US and the second one with
our girls (they will be 11 and 9 next summer).

Because of the children we try not to drive too much. And we like to take
some time exploring the parks so we think 4 or 5 days for Yosemite and 4 or
5 days Yellowstone is the absolute minimum.

We like to share our itinerary with you and hope for some suggestions and
do's and don'ts. Especially we would like some suggestions to keep the
children interested; it looks like a lot of nature now.
Though we have already visited Yellowstone the Denver to Yellowstone part is
completely new for us, as is the Yellowstone - LV part.

As for lodging: apart from the occasional hotel/motel we are thinking of
staying in a KOA cabin so we have the option to prepare our own meals (we
like to dine out but after 20 or more days the fun is a bit over).

This is as far as we have come with our scheme:
Day 1 Amsterdam - Denver
Day 2 Denver - RMNP
Day 3/4 RMNP - .....
Day 5 .... - Mount Rushmore
Day 6 Mount Rushmore - Cody
Day 7 Cody
Day 8 Cody - Yellowstone
Day 9- 12 Yellowstone
Day 13 Yellowstone - Grand Tetons - Jackson
Day 14 Jackson - Salt Lake City
Day 15 SLC - Zion NP
Day 16 Zion NP
Day 17 Zion - Las Vegas
Day 18 Las Vegas
Day 19 Las Vegas - Death Valley
Day 20 Death Valley - Bishop?
Day 21 Bishop - Mono Lake - Yosemite Village
Day 22-25 Yosemite
Day 26 Yosemite - San Francisco
Day 27/28 SF
Day 29 SF - Amsterdam

Martin & Marianne

Old December 1st, 2003, 10:48 PM
Patty Winter

Hi, Marianne.

Have you given thought yet to where you want to stay when you
visit Yosemite? If you want to stay in Yosemite Valley, you
should think about making reservations as soon as possible.
You can always cancel them later if you change your mind.
(I think you can cancel as close as three days before your
visit without a penalty, but check with the reservation agent.)

Outside of the valley, there are private residences for rent
near the Glacier Point Road and Wawona. And, of course, there
are towns outside the park that have many hotels and motels.

You should also try to pin down accommodations in Yellowstone
as soon as possible.

Have fun!

Patty

Old December 1st, 2003, 11:02 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
(Patty Winter) wrote:

Hi, Marianne.

Have you given thought yet to where you want to stay when you
visit Yosemite? If you want to stay in Yosemite Valley, you
should think about making reservations as soon as possible.

Like yesterday, depending on dates.

This is the official concessionaire for the park:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/

jay
Mon, Dec 1, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:28 PM
Dave Smith

Marianne wrote:

[...]

It would be a shame to land in Denver and not go to Rocky Mountain National
Park. It is about a one hour from Denver and most of the drive up there is very
scenic. I was there last year and spent two night in Estes Park on the western
edge of the RMNP. We had a great time.

Old December 1st, 2003, 11:29 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Marianne" wrote in message
[...]

KOA cabins dont usually come with bedding or much in the
way of pots, pans etc so bring your own sleeping bags and
plan on buying some hardware on arrival.

This is as far as we have come with our scheme:
Day 1 Amsterdam - Denver
Day 2 Denver - RMNP
Day 3/4 RMNP - .....

Be aware that this is around a 600 km drive. If you are
going that far add at least another day to visit some
of the other attractions in the Black Hills such as
Custer State Park and the Crazy Horse statue

Day 5 .... - Mount Rushmore
Day 6 Mount Rushmore - Cody
Day 7 Cody

Personally I wouldnt spend a full day in Cody

Day 8 Cody - Yellowstone
Day 9- 12 Yellowstone
Day 13 Yellowstone - Grand Tetons - Jackson
Day 14 Jackson - Salt Lake City
Day 15 SLC - Zion NP
Day 16 Zion NP

You may as well visit Bryce Canyon while you are there.

Day 17 Zion - Las Vegas
Day 18 Las Vegas
Day 19 Las Vegas - Death Valley
Day 20 Death Valley - Bishop?

Stay at Mammoth Lake, there's a much better
selection of accomodation and you can visit the
Devils Postpile NM while you are there

Day 21 Bishop - Mono Lake - Yosemite Village
Day 22-25 Yosemite
Day 26 Yosemite - San Francisco
Day 27/28 SF
Day 29 SF - Amsterdam

Sounds like a good trip, have fun.

Keith

Old December 1st, 2003, 11:49 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Dave Smith wrote:

It would be a shame to land in Denver and not go to Rocky Mountain National
Park.

Their itinerary shows them going from Denver to RMNP the day after they
arrive, then spending two full days there. Do you mean that they should
drive to RMNP as soon as they arrive? I think spending a night in Denver
is a perfectly acceptable alternative to hopping in a car and driving
somewhere else after such a long flight.

Patty

Old December 1st, 2003, 11:51 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Marianne wrote:

[...]

They are going to RMNP

re-read their itinerary

Day 1 Amsterdam - Denver
Day 2 Denver - RMNP
Day 3/4 RMNP - .....

Keith

Old December 2nd, 2003, 12:19 AM
Peter L

A great trip. You'll be tired afterwards. One suggestion, when you are at
Bishop and going into Yosemite, eat at the Whoa Nellie Deli at the junction
between 395 and 120. It's a gas station, and has the best food for miles
around.

Be flexible. There are a couple of places where you must reserve ahead.
Otherwise don't hold to a fix schedule.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:52 AM
Icono Clast

"Marianne" wrote:
Next summer we like to travel through some western states.

The only suggestion I have is to add a day to Yellowstone perhaps
taking one from Yosemite. Others will disagree. The decision is yours.
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

Mon, Dec 1, 2003

You can always cancel them later if you change your mind.
(I think you can cancel as close as three days before your
visit without a penalty, but check with the reservation agent.)

Outside of the valley, there are private residences for rent
near the Glacier Point Road and Wawona. And, of course, there
are towns outside the park that have many hotels and motels.

You should also try to pin down accommodations in Yellowstone
as soon as possible.

Have fun!

Patty

Thanks for your advice. In fact we already made reservations for both parks
more than a month ago and we found that Old Faithfull lodge was already
fully booked (we will be traveling in july) but we managed to get a Cabin at
Lake Yellowstone. We booked more nights than we need to allow for changes in
our itinerary and flight days.

Marianne