how best to go to Jamestown tour from DC

Old September 12th, 2009, 10:34 PM posted to dc.driving,dc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada,va.general
Allen Bates

Default how best to go to Jamestown tour from DC

We wish to tour Jamestown during our November DC vacation.
Is there bus or public transport from Washington DC to Jamestown and back,
in the first week of November?
Can you please tell me which one of the two Jamestown site is better
attaction for first time vistors?
We found both Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestown sites and cannot
tell which?
Thank you.
Old September 17th, 2009, 05:21 PM posted to dc.driving,dc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada,va.general
David Lesher

"Allen Bates" writes:

We wish to tour Jamestown during our November DC vacation.
Is there bus or public transport from Washington DC to Jamestown and back,
in the first week of November?
Can you please tell me which one of the two Jamestown site is better
attaction for first time vistors?
We found both Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestown sites and cannot
tell which?

You got me. I have no idea. I suspect there are multiple competing
tourist attractions in Jamestown; but know nothing about them. Maybe
someone in va.general would know.

You should confirm that the site is open in November; many such are
summer only.

I suspect you'd need to rent a car to get there from DC. You can take 95
South via the infamous Disfunction Junction, or 301 across the Harry Nice
bridge.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM posted to dc.driving,dc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada,va.general
[email protected]

On Sep 12, 2:34*pm, "Allen Bates" wrote:
We wish to tour Jamestown during our November DC vacation.
Is there bus or public transport from Washington DC to Jamestown and back,
in the first week of November?
Can you please tell me which one of the two Jamestown site is better
attaction for first time vistors?
We found both Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestown sites and cannot
tell which?
Thank you.

We drvoe from DC. The "real" one is in a remote location, more than a
mile from the main road, and I would be surprised if there were any
public transportation in the area. But you might find tour companies
like Grey Line that go there.

The "real" one is a public park on the banks of the river. Most of it
was just building foundations, with one or two buildings that still
survive. There was an archeological dig in progress. And they had a
glass blowing demonstration for the tourists.

The "faux" one looks like a wooden fort from the outside. While it is
on the main road, I would doubt that you could find public
transportation there all the way from DC. We went in, but did not go
beyond the gift shop. My guess is that it is a Disny-like re-
creation, with buildings and actors in costume talking funny (kinda
like a Renaissance Faire).
Old September 18th, 2009, 03:00 AM posted to dc.driving,dc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada,va.general
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 14:34:08 -0700, "Allen Bates"
wrote:

We wish to tour Jamestown during our November DC vacation.
Is there bus or public transport from Washington DC to Jamestown and back,
in the first week of November?
Can you please tell me which one of the two Jamestown site is better
attaction for first time vistors?
We found both Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestown sites and cannot
tell which?
Thank you.

Amtrak goes to Williamsburg but you would still need a car unless
there is some sort of transportation between them. I'm not aware of it
but I've never needed to use it.
Old September 19th, 2009, 05:00 AM posted to dc.driving,dc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada,va.general
Allen Bates

wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for your responses. Is the "faux" one, you mean "Jamestown
Settlement", a privete re-enactment business, correct? The other "real" one,
"Historic Jamestown" is actually a simple government park not for tourist,
correct? I guess we have a rent a car to drive there? Thank you.

Old September 19th, 2009, 07:22 AM posted to dc.driving,dc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada,va.general
[email protected]

On Sep 18, 9:00*pm, "Allen Bates" wrote:
Thank you for your responses. Is the "faux" one, you mean "Jamestown
Settlement", a privete re-enactment business, correct? The other "real" one,
"Historic Jamestown" is actually a simple government park not for tourist,
correct? I guess we have a rent a car to drive there? Thank you.

That makes sense, but I really don't remember. The differences should
be obvious when you get there. You will have to decide for yourself
whether you prefer "real" or "faux". As I indicated, our group chose
"real".

Another thing that I remember is that it is a long way from DC. We
spent the night in Williamsburg before going to Jamestowm (actually,
we visited Wm&Mary and Colonial Williamsburg in the previous days).
If you get an early start from Williamsburg, you may have time to do
both before heading back to DC, depending on your stamina.
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:38 AM posted to dc.driving,dc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada,va.general
[email protected]

On Sep 20, 1:16*pm, MTV wrote:
I'd say 3 hours each way. All to look at a barren shore line on the
James River and a NPS exhibit bldg. Oh, and the remaining shell of a
church.

Marv

I can understand this sentiment. As I think about, I would recommend
Colonial Willaimsburg over either Jamestown. It is a lot bigger, and
there are more things to see and do. However, it seems that Allen
Bates has a special reason for going to Jamestown (maybe a direct
descendent of John Rolfe?).
Old September 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM posted to dc.driving,dc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada,va.general
Allen Bates

wrote in message
On Sep 20, 1:16 pm, MTV wrote:
I'd say 3 hours each way. All to look at a barren shore line on the
James River and a NPS exhibit bldg. Oh, and the remaining shell of a
church.

Marv
I can understand this sentiment. As I think about, I would recommend
Colonial Willaimsburg over either Jamestown. It is a lot bigger, and
there are more things to see and do. However, it seems that Allen
Bates has a special reason for going to Jamestown (maybe a direct
descendent of John Rolfe?).

We are from California. This is our fist DC capital trip.
We saw Jamestown in the movie. Throught that may be interesting to see some
of the old East Coast first immigrant or civil war favors, which we do not
have in the West Coast. Do you recommend anything "must see" outside of DC
capital?
3 hours round trip of 6 hours driving of spending a whole day of not seeing
much, probably not worth it. Thank you.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:01 PM posted to dc.driving,dc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada,va.general
C.C.

We are from California. This is our fist DC capital trip.
We saw Jamestown in the movie. Throught that may be interesting to see some
of the old East Coast first immigrant or civil war favors, which we do not
have in the West Coast. Do you recommend anything "must see" outside of DC
capital?
3 hours round trip of 6 hours driving of spending a whole day of not seeing
much, probably not worth it. Thank you.

Wait, wait! Jamestown's reconstruction is not far from Williamsburg,
which has lots of old restored buildings to see. In fact, it was so
close that I parked at the Williamsburg visitors' center lot and got
my bike out of my car and just biked - only a couple of miles - to
Jamestown. Beautiful drive along the shore and across the causeway.
So go there to see both places and your drive will be worth it.

BTW, since you are sending your messages via a computer, why not use
that computer to look up driving times and distances? And also google
"Jamestown" and "Williamsburg" while you're at it.

C.C.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM posted to dc.driving,dc.general,rec.travel.usa-canada,va.general
ArbH

"C.C." wrote in message
BTW, since you are sending your messages via a computer, why not use
that computer to look up driving times and distances? And also google
"Jamestown" and "Williamsburg" while you're at it.

C.C.

We google the driving direction from Washington DC to Jamestown. Total
distance is 159 miles for about 2 hours 44 minutes. So 3 hours one way, at
the low side, is correct. We wonder if there are good worthwhile old
immigrant or civil war restoration or story telling, nearer Washington DC
area, that do not require driving?