Staying at a Castle

Old October 1st, 2004, 05:33 PM
BMC

Default Staying at a Castle

Looking for a getaway that includes a stay at a castle in Europe. Has
anyone stayed at one? I'm curious as how the accomodations were. Was it
charming and comfortable? Or was it the opposite? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
kate

Old October 1st, 2004, 06:39 PM
Owain

"BMC" wrote
| Looking for a getaway that includes a stay at a castle in Europe.
| Has anyone stayed at one? I'm curious as how the accomodations
| were. Was it charming and comfortable? Or was it the opposite?
| Any recommendations?

Probably the cheapest way is to stay in a castle that's also a hostel.

Carbisdale Castle was built for the Dowager Duchess of Sutherland. Since
then it has housed wealthy and influential people, and even served as a
royal refuge. The Castle has a large art collection and a collection of
Italian marble statues on display in a main gallery and even a ghost. An
amazing experience not to be missed. Carbisdale is set in an area of
extensive natural beauty overlooking the river Kyle with many local woodland
walks.
http://www.syha.org.uk/syha/web/site...daleCastle.asp
http://carbisdale.org/

Links to a few others at
http://www.guideforeurope.com/castlehostels.html

Owain

Old October 1st, 2004, 06:39 PM
Owain

"BMC" wrote

Old October 1st, 2004, 06:44 PM
BB

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:33:07 GMT, BMC wrote:
Looking for a getaway that includes a stay at a castle in Europe. Has
anyone stayed at one? I'm curious as how the accomodations were. Was it
charming and comfortable? Or was it the opposite? Any recommendations?

There are a few along the Rhine. They seem rather nice, but pricey.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old October 1st, 2004, 07:02 PM
Scottish Quilter

On 1 Oct 2004 17:44:43 GMT, BB wrote:

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:33:07 GMT, BMC wrote:
Looking for a getaway that includes a stay at a castle in Europe. Has
anyone stayed at one? I'm curious as how the accomodations were. Was it
charming and comfortable? Or was it the opposite? Any recommendations?

Stobo Castle in Scotland if you are in the very rich category, i.e.
Madonna et al :-)

To be serious there are plenty of National Trust properties in the UK
where you can stay-------try their web site
Elma in Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK
Old October 1st, 2004, 07:21 PM
B Vaughan

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:33:07 GMT, "BMC" wrote:

Looking for a getaway that includes a stay at a castle in Europe. Has
anyone stayed at one? I'm curious as how the accomodations were. Was it
charming and comfortable? Or was it the opposite? Any recommendations?

Most of the castles that are used for lodging are not terribly
authentic on the inside. If they were, they certainly wouldn't be
comfortable, and they would violate all the safety codes in Europe.

I've never stayed in one; I prefer to tour them and stay in some place
a bit more realistic.
-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old October 1st, 2004, 07:56 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Castle means different things in different parts of europe. I've stayed
in several. Some were pretty much converted palaces. Others are motel
annexes on ancient properties.

Old October 1st, 2004, 09:08 PM
Beeks919

On our honeymoon in 1999, my wife and I stayed at Dalhousie Castle, Borthwick
Castle (both about 7 to 12 miles from Edinburgh) and at Airth Castle in
Falkirk, (not too far from you!)
Each had it's own charm and all were comfortable. On our first night at
Borthwick Castle, my wife and I were the only guests, as the wedding party that
booked the castle moved their plans back a day.... a truly interesting
experience, even more so when the entire staff left and handed us a huge
skeleton key and said they would return in the morning....
A memorable experience, and am looking into staying at one of the "Edinburgh"
properties this November.....
all are just a Google search away....

Gary

Old October 1st, 2004, 10:08 PM
bogus address

Looking for a getaway that includes a stay at a castle in Europe.
Has anyone stayed at one? I'm curious as how the accomodations were.

Most of the castles that are used for lodging are not terribly
authentic on the inside. If they were, they certainly wouldn't be
comfortable, and they would violate all the safety codes in Europe.

One explanation I have read for why mediaeval kings moved around
so much was that their retinues were far too large for the toilet
facilities and you can't just dash out of a castle in a hurry when
need arises. You can only have so much turd behind the tapestries
before it's time to move on.

I can imagine a certain kind of tourist who would fit right in with
that lifestyle.

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Old October 1st, 2004, 11:16 PM
brenda

BB wrote in message ...
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:33:07 GMT, BMC wrote:
Looking for a getaway that includes a stay at a castle in Europe. Has
anyone stayed at one? I'm curious as how the accomodations were. Was it
charming and comfortable? Or was it the opposite? Any recommendations?

I've stayed at Auf Burg Schönberg on the Rhein - lovely, gorgeous room
with huge bath. Also at Schloss Sababurg on the Fairytale Road - in a
turret room with 4 poster bed & full bath. We've visited Burg
Trendlburg & it's rooms looked nice too. I would consider all of
these 4* - beautiful rooms, excellent service & wonderful restaurant.
Only caveat is to ensure you aren't in an 'annex' room - these were
usually built fairly recently & pretty bleak. There used to be an
organization called Gast im Schloss that you could book the German &
Austrian castles through.