Walkie Talkies

Old November 18th, 2004, 04:02 PM
villa deauville

Default Walkie Talkies

I know there was a thread re this subject some time ago but as it did
not concern me at the time I skipped the thread.
Now circumstances have changed. We are sailing on the Oosterdam Nov.
21st on HAL. We called them to see if they had any for rent. They do
not. We are not looking for expensie ones just to be used on the ship.
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA

SUNNY

Old November 18th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Mike Cordelli

I assume you are looking for inexpensive ones, not expensive ones.

I saw some yesterday in Home Depot for $38 for a pair. If you do a search
on froogle

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?so...ie=UTF-8&q=frs

you will find lots of sets for very little money, probably about the same to
purchase as to rent. E-bay has a set closing in 20 minutes for $7, brand
new.

Old November 18th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:30:52 GMT, Mike Cordelli wrote:

I assume you are looking for inexpensive ones, not expensive ones, Sunny.

That's simply Jewaphobic of you to say so, Cordelli.
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Fred

Damn it Chrissy, ya bet me to it

Old November 18th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Karen Henelde

Sunny,

You should definitely consider purchasing a pair. We used our Motorola
Walk-Talkies, with a 5 mile range, on our recent cruise. They were
excellent and we actually used them a lot! We got our's 3 years ago and
they were $80 a piece, with a $40 rebate. I recently saw some (don't recall
the brand) in BJ's that were not too expensive. My husband, the
techno-geek, says you can pay anywhere from $20 a piece and up.

And a happy belated birthday to you!

Karen
Owings Mills, MD

Old November 18th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Mike Cordelli

It's illegal to operate the GMRS/FRS radios on the GMRS frequencies without
a license from the FCC, with a fine of up to $10,000 the first time and
higher after that. I would strongly advise against doing that. If you re
talking about a six mile range, I seriously doubt it's on the FRS
frequencies and power levels you would see in a hand held.

I would be very careful operating a radio illegally especially if you are
outside of the United States.

"Eddie" wrote in message

Sunny, I was just about to call NCL to see if it was OK to use
GMRS/FRS radios on our maiden cruise in Dec. I assume it's ok. We
have el cheapos Midland brand radios from Fry's that I paid $15 (on
sale) with $10 rebate. They have a 6 mile range. Bought 3 pair (they
come in pairs) and gave two away as presents. Indispensable when you
have two kids and they like to be on their own in places like DL,
Great America, malls, etc.
But wondering how reception is on a ship?
Eddie

Old November 18th, 2004, 10:32 PM
villa deauville

But what gives with the walkie talkies that are given to parents tht
keeps them in touch with their children who are camprs on board the
ships?

SUNNY

Old November 18th, 2004, 11:38 PM
James Drake

Leave the damn things at home. These walkie talkies are very annoying.
Just when you've dosed off beside the pool a walkie talkie goes off. "mom,
dad, where are you? or Where are you at honey bunny? Your on a ship in the
middle of the ocean!! If you get lost, so what? Chances are very good
you'll find where the food is. Get a life.

Old November 19th, 2004, 12:21 AM
Fred

Well there you go sunstroke.......Just pull that whinny, senior, ethnic,
crap on the crew and you will get them for NOTHING. Right up your ethnic
wallet.

Wont you join me in 2006
The Chairman