Paris weather great today

Old April 12th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Earl Evleth

Default Paris weather great today

Easter Monday in Paris, most commerce is closed down but the sky
is blue. It is really nice out today. A bit cool but good for walking
on the sunny side of the street.

The weather is predicted to be pretty much like it is now for the
week, with highs around 16°C,

The good weather will mean the cafés will be filled with Parisians
this afternoon.

I promised to also report on strikes or other forms of "social
action".

I don`t see any anticipated social actions for this coming week
as announced in Le Parisien. The front page finally got back to the Iraqi
fiasco after a couple of weeks to local politics after the French
election. A "new government" (mostly a ministerial game of
musical chairs) has been formed and now a bit of a wait to find
out which way they are going.

We spent this weekend visiting a prisoner at Clairvaux, a
high security "correctional facility" 250 km east of Paris.

Here are a couple of extractions from a news letter we distribute.

"The subject of all conversations at Clairvaux these days is the situation
in Iraq. It is all very one-sided, very anti-American, very
very anti-Bush. The American we know says that he himself keeps out of it,
since he has
had long experience with the climate and knows what you can say
and what you can't. So he is in no personal danger, despite his American
nationality." (he is 6ft 4˛, big, but gentle).

One inmate said "The Ayatollah Khomeiny must be smiling in his grave. The
Americans have managed to unite the Iraqi Sunnis and the Iraqi Shiites,
something he tried for years to do and failed."

The ironies of trying to do the right thing.

The worry we have is that the war has strangely united a large portion of
the French prison population which is usually not united but out
individually out for "number one". Whether, this produces a "social action"
in prison remains to be seen. I can`t see this interfering with traveling
in France, however, but it will produce newspapers headlines you should
understanding the meaning of. A major fraction of prison inmates are
Muslims, although they are not very practicing. Some are actively
being recruited by Al Qaeda types. Fortunately most of them lack
the discipline to be terrorists.

Earl

Old April 12th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Capitalist Pig

Great, Earl. A lot of Americans and coalition troops are losing their lives
while fighting Muslim extremists in Afghanistan and Iraq and you are
foolishly passing coded messages from an imprisoned Negro drug dealer in
France to his al-Qaeda handlers on the outside. Other than the CIA does
anyone really care about the political sentiments of a bunch of Muslim rag
heads in the French slammer? I dropped a dime on you Earl. You'll probably
get that knock on the door in the middle of the night and soon find yourself
trying to shade your eyes from a glaring light while answering a lot of
questions from intelligence agents.

Capitalist Pig

Old April 13th, 2004, 03:12 PM
PJ O'Donovan

Earl Evleth wrote in message ...

We spent this weekend visiting a prisoner at Clairvaux, a
high security "correctional facility" 250 km east of Paris.

"The subject of all conversations at Clairvaux these days is the situation
in Iraq. It is all very one-sided, very anti-American, very
very anti-Bush.

You must have been very comfortable in that environment.

One inmate said "The Ayatollah Khomeiny must be smiling in his grave. The
Americans have managed to unite the Iraqi Sunnis and the Iraqi Shiites,
something he tried for years to do and failed."

The ironies of trying to do the right thing.

So what? Lenin must have been "smiling in his grave" when the US got
into
bed with his Bolshevik protege, Stalin, against Hitler and Hitler's
war with the Bolsheviks.

Remember, a 50 year more expensive "undeclared" war followed between
the US and the Bolsheviks.

Historians will be debating that alliance for milleniums to come.

.. . A major fraction of (French) prison inmates are
Muslims
Earl

"(French)" added.

Are you equally outraged at the disparate incidence of Muslims in the
French
prison population as you are with the disparate incidence of
minorities and
the disparate incidence of males vs females in the US prison
population or are you satisfied that those who commit the crime are
serving the time in all situations?
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:03 PM
nobody

Earl Evleth wrote:

We spent this weekend visiting a prisoner at Clairvaux, a
high security "correctional facility" 250 km east of Paris.

Hi,

the african that was somehow involved in a heroin smuggling operation.

Here are a couple of extractions from a news letter we distribute.

"The subject of all conversations at Clairvaux these days is the situation
in Iraq. It is all very one-sided, very anti-American, very
very anti-Bush. The American we know says that he himself keeps out of it,
since he has
had long experience with the climate and knows what you can say
and what you can't. So he is in no personal danger, despite his American
nationality." (he is 6ft 4˛, big, but gentle).

yea and they know he got american citizenship because a US passport gets
you in more places withouth a Visa than most other passports... an
important thing for a smuggler.

Fortunately most of them lack the discipline to be terrorists.

Earl

a lot of people (well those that weren't in the movement back in the
60s/70s) don't understand how well organized an effective criminal or
political action group has to be...

The Hells Angels may look scruffy but as businessmen they run a tight ship.

ttyl

akia

Old April 13th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Mxsmanic

Capitalist Pig writes:

... you are foolishly passing coded messages from an imprisoned
Negro drug dealer in France to his al-Qaeda handlers on the outside.

What messages?

You'll probably get that knock on the door in the middle of
the night and soon find yourself trying to shade your eyes
from a glaring light while answering a lot of
questions from intelligence agents.

Intelligence agents aren't that stupid.

Old April 13th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Earl Evleth

On 13/04/04 21:03, in article , "nobody"
wrote:

Earl Evleth wrote:

We spent this weekend visiting a prisoner at Clairvaux, a
high security "correctional facility" 250 km east of Paris.

Hi,

the african that was somehow involved in a heroin smuggling operation.

Yes. An African-American in the first meaning of the term.

had long experience with the climate and knows what you can say
and what you can't. So he is in no personal danger, despite his American
nationality." (he is 6ft 4˛, big, but gentle).

yea and they know he got american citizenship because a US passport gets
you in more places withouth a Visa than most other passports... an
important thing for a smuggler.

Nobody sees anything in a French prison, his passport is not around.
So one can only hear from the prisoner himself and often enough
they don't advertise their crime. It does get known in some cases.

Not quite. He has no problems with people in prison, nor those
who know him out of prison. They would like to pick on an American
or a Jew, they are a very angry group. He has never been in a prison
fight, spent time in the mitard, almost all the others have. He has
never attacked a guard by has been put on report for mouthing
off a couple of times. So he had no "extra miles" due to in prison
offenses. The guards we have talked to say he is "calm".

Fortunately most of them lack the discipline to be terrorists.

Earl

a lot of people (well those that weren't in the movement back in the
60s/70s) don't understand how well organized an effective criminal or
political action group has to be...

Generally the ethnic Arabs in prison are not generally organized
except the "born again Muslims". The Basques are organized
for terrorist reason. There is some grouping in prison around
the type of crime committed. Sex criminals never dare show their heads
outside their cells so they don`t group among themselves. They get
beat up if they show their faces.

However, there is nothing equivalent to the Mexican Mafia, or the Bloods
and Crips in French Prisons, large ethnic gang associations. However,
the conflicts in Iraq and Palestine may radicalize some, and that is
where the danger lies for the authorities. The situation is hot
as it is since the prisons are overcrowded. I would not be
surprised to see a major mutiny this year.

Earl