Finding motels on the go?

Old September 19th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default Finding motels on the go?

In article , Brett wrote:
How feasible is it to travel across France, Spain, Germany and Italy without
any motel reservation and find a place to stay overnight in some small town
far away from the tourist? What would rates be like?

In Spain this is easily done outside of super-heavy tourist season, as long
as you don't mind paying 20-30 euro/night.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 31 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old September 19th, 2004, 06:43 PM
GG

wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:48:31 -0400, "Brett" wrote:

Motels in a town off the beaten path are not so easy to find.
Why motels?

It doesn't have to be motels. I'm just using that as an example. I

should
have said, mom&pop, bed&breakfast, etc.

Then you'll have no problem at all.

We've done this many times in France, though never during prime holiday
season. The local tourist offices are good sources for overnight
accommodations.

GG

Old September 19th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Dave Smith

Brett wrote:

How feasible is it to travel across France, Spain, Germany and Italy without
any motel reservation and find a place to stay overnight in some small town
far away from the tourist? What would rates be like?

I'd like to travel across the above countries but don't want to be
constrained by a schedule with a motel/hotel reservation. Additionally, since
I'll be reserving online, these motels will likely be in better known towns.
I'd rather be in a town off the beaten path.

We traveled through Europe during July about 10 years ago on a rail pass without
hotel reservations, with the exception of one night in Gimmelwald where
reservations were recommended, We never had trouble finding a decent hotel
within walking distance of the train station. There were a few times when we
found much nice accommodation a little further away.

Old September 19th, 2004, 07:21 PM
BB

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 07:55:53 -0400, Brett wrote:
How feasible is it to travel across France, Spain, Germany and Italy without
any motel reservation and find a place to stay overnight in some small town
far away from the tourist? What would rates be like?

Its easiest if its not high season, and if you're looking for a single or
double (not triple, as rooms that large aren't so common). We traveled in
early July, and saw "zimmer frei" signs all over in western Germany. I'm
not really sure about France, as we didn't know what sign to look for! (we
already had reservations anyway)

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old September 19th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Bob Fusillo

In smaller towns, look for signs that say "Hotel." Just "Hotel." They are
about the cheapest you will find, and 90% of them are clean, simple, and OK.
In bigger towns, same, but don't wait till it is late.
rjf
"Brett" wrote in message
How feasible is it to travel across France, Spain, Germany and Italy

without
any motel reservation and find a place to stay overnight in some small

town
far away from the tourist? What would rates be like?

I'd like to travel across the above countries but don't want to be
constrained by a schedule with a motel/hotel reservation. Additionally,
since I'll be reserving online, these motels will likely be in better

known
towns. I'd rather be in a town off the beaten path.

Thanks,
Brett

Old September 19th, 2004, 08:09 PM
KW!

we do that all the time. in every town, there are usually vacancies. we
once bike across from paris to the atlantic coast and we never made any
reservation. the only night in which we had a problem was the night we
spent in the Tour de France stage finish. we had to bike many miles
before we find a room.

--
KW!
KW!'s Profile: http://www.whateverforum.com/forums/member.php?userid=1

Old September 19th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Tom Peel

Brett wrote:
How feasible is it to travel across France, Spain, Germany and Italy without
any motel reservation and find a place to stay overnight in some small town
far away from the tourist? What would rates be like?

I'd like to travel across the above countries but don't want to be
constrained by a schedule with a motel/hotel reservation. Additionally,
since I'll be reserving online, these motels will likely be in better known
towns. I'd rather be in a town off the beaten path.

Thanks,
Brett

It's the only way we travel. It's easier in some countries/regions than
others however. Mostly in germany it's real easy and you find really the
greatest places outside of big cities. I found Italy not so good outside
the tourist areas. Last trip we headed off the highway just S of
Florence and drove round some time before we found something in S
Guliano IIRC, Fox's Hotel, it was a great place.
Since then I bought a guidebook in the autostrada highway stop, called
"Alberghi di tre Stelli", it's got a list of 3star places all over Italy.

T.

Old September 20th, 2004, 01:30 AM
James B. Spears

Try www.accorhotels.com then look at Formula 1 , Ibis, or Etap. We've
stayed in France at Etap for as little as 25euros a night. You check in
with your credit card - similar to how you'd use an ATM and it prints
passcodes on a paper strip for access to the facility and for your room.
Breakfast is extra.
You can book and pay in advance if you prefer.

Old September 20th, 2004, 06:01 PM
pantagruel

How feasible is it to travel across France, Spain, Germany and Italy

without
any motel reservation and find a place to stay overnight in some small

town
far away from the tourist? What would rates be like?

I'd like to travel across the above countries but don't want to be
constrained by a schedule with a motel/hotel reservation. Additionally,
since I'll be reserving online, these motels will likely be in better

known
towns. I'd rather be in a town off the beaten path.

Thanks,
Brett

I have been to Europe about a half dozen times driving and training and

rarely make reservations ahead. If you are driving, you can always drive a
little further and find something. The only time we make reservations are
perhaps the first night we arrive or in Paris. The reason for doing so in
Paris is because there are some hotels I especially like. However, we have
arrived in Paris and obtained hotels by phoning them or through the tourist
information center. I find it much more interesting to free wheel it and not
have to be at a certain place at a certain time. The places we have stayed
have typically been small hotels or the equivalent of a bed and breakfast.
One time we were in a jam and had to stay in a 3 star but paid only about
120$ per night and it was a very nice place. More than likely you may be
stuck, if you get stuck, in a cheapo place than in an expensive place. Of
course all this depends on time of year, local festivals or events going on
and the like.

Old September 21st, 2004, 05:22 AM
Tom

"Bob Fusillo" wrote in message
newsvk3d.218808$Fg5.49730@attbi_s53...
In smaller towns, look for signs that say "Hotel." Just "Hotel."

Except "Hotel de Ville" :-)

Try -http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/ for France.
Tom