"Marshals kept off plane at Reagan"

Old November 20th, 2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike[_9_]

Default "Marshals kept off plane at Reagan"

Marshals kept off plane at Reagan
A team of federal air marshals was prevented from protecting a recent
flight from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport because a gate
agent erroneously said they did not have the correct paperwork, say
marshals familiar with the incident.
at http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...3512-3352r.htm

Old November 20th, 2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Mike writes:

Marshals kept off plane at Reagan
A team of federal air marshals was prevented from protecting a recent
flight from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport because a gate
agent erroneously said they did not have the correct paperwork, say
marshals familiar with the incident.

How many people died on the "unprotected" flight as a result?

Old November 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

Mike wrote:
Marshals kept off plane at Reagan
A team of federal air marshals was prevented from protecting a recent
flight from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport because a gate
agent erroneously said they did not have the correct paperwork, say
marshals familiar with the incident.
at http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...3512-3352r.htm

I can't imagine why supervisors wouldn't have been called to resolve
this. It doesn't sound like this would be left up to a GA.

You would also think that, given this was DCA, that she would have known
they belonged on the plane.
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
nobody[_1_]

Mike wrote:
Marshals kept off plane at Reagan
A team of federal air marshals was prevented from protecting a recent
flight from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport because a gate
agent erroneously said they did not have the correct paperwork,

That is correct procedure in my opinion. When you have armed guys whose
paperwork is dubious, then the safe thing is to prevent them from boarding.

Just because the guy doesn't look "arab" doesn't mean he's not a potential
terrorist. There have been plenty of white american terrorists who go on
shooting sprees at schools, malls, highways etc and they don't fit some
physical profile.

There should however be some procedure where a gate agent can call a
supervisor to confirm the validity of paperwork when in doubt.

Besides, an aircraft is safer without the marshalls.
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

Nobody wrote:

Mike wrote:

Marshals kept off plane at Reagan
A team of federal air marshals was prevented from protecting a recent
flight from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport because a gate
agent erroneously said they did not have the correct paperwork,

That is correct procedure in my opinion. When you have armed guys whose
paperwork is dubious, then the safe thing is to prevent them from boarding.

The article stated that FAM's don't need this paperwork
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Mike Hunt writes:

The article stated that FAM's don't need this paperwork

In that case, neither do imposters for FAMs. Hmm.

Old November 21st, 2006, 03:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air
(PeteCresswell)

Per Mike:
a gate
agent erroneously said they did not have the correct paperwork, say
marshals familiar with the incident.
at http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...3512-3352r.htm

I thought those guys are supposed to be plain clothes/incognito.

--
PeteCresswell
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

(PeteCresswell) writes:

I thought those guys are supposed to be plain clothes/incognito.

Perhaps ego overruled procedures.

Old November 21st, 2006, 05:10 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mike Hunt

Mxsmanic wrote:
(PeteCresswell) writes:

I thought those guys are supposed to be plain clothes/incognito.

Perhaps ego overruled procedures.

Yep. Some GA's have pretty big egos.