Credit cards vs. debit

Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BD

Default Credit cards vs. debit

I am planning a cruise on RC in Dec 07. I understand that all incidentals
bought during the cruise are charged to a credit card. By choice, I have no
credit cards, but I do have a debit. Can I use this? What do folks do who
have no credit cards?

Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

BD wrote:
I am planning a cruise on RC in Dec 07. I understand that all incidentals
bought during the cruise are charged to a credit card. By choice, I have no
credit cards, but I do have a debit. Can I use this? What do folks do who
have no credit cards?

I am sure you can use a debit card for your onboard account. If you want
another option you can pay your account in cash, not quite sure how that
works.

sue
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

I am sure you can use a debit card for your onboard account. If you want
another option you can pay your account in cash, not quite sure how that
works.

sue

Simple. You put a cash deposit just like putting a credit card imprint
at the beginning of the trip. Then you stand in line the last night or
early morning before departure and balance out your account.

--
Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Blackbird71

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:12:36 -0400, BD wrote
(in article EuVWh.7901$no.2295@trnddc02):

I am planning a cruise on RC in Dec 07. I understand that all incidentals
bought during the cruise are charged to a credit card. By choice, I have no
credit cards, but I do have a debit. Can I use this? What do folks do who
have no credit cards?

I used my debt on RSSC/Silverseas/Seabourn.

But check your max daily limit. I got a Paypal debt card for large purchases.
: )

--
Winter Break on Seabourn Legend - Mar 4 2007
In Search of Lost Hobbits cruise on Celebrity Mercury Dec 12, 2007

Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mike[_1_]

BD wrote:
I am planning a cruise on RC in Dec 07. I understand that all incidentals
bought during the cruise are charged to a credit card. By choice, I have no
credit cards, but I do have a debit. Can I use this? What do folks do who
have no credit cards?

We always pay cash so that we stay on budget. When you get to the pier
they'll ask for a credit card. Tell them you plan on paying cash and
they'll direct you to the Purser's desk. When you get on board, head to
the Purser's desk and give them a few hundred. Then simply keep an eye
on your expenses on the TV in your stateroom. Typically we need to go
back down on day 4 or 5 to top things up a bit. That way when you get
home you have no bills coming in to pay.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

I would check with your travel agent beforehand no this some do not
take Debits. THere is a issue that many folks are unaware of. EVERYDAY
the Cruise line hits your card making sure you have the Money there
and with Debit cards there is a hold put on funds, My daughter got
caught up in this last cruise as her rent payment was held up because
the cruise line did not take the hold off her account when she was
already home for a week and they were paid. SO if you are using this
Debit for any bills etc THINK TWICE...... EVenwith Credit cards they
do go into and run your CC everyday they do not charge it but they go
in with a inquiry and sometimes it puts a hold on it. JUst wanted you
to be informed

Old April 24th, 2007, 08:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K

On 4/23/2007 7:12 AM Mike wrote:
BD wrote:
I am planning a cruise on RC in Dec 07. I understand that all
incidentals bought during the cruise are charged to a credit card.
By choice, I have no credit cards, but I do have a debit. Can I use
this? What do folks do who have no credit cards?

We always pay cash so that we stay on budget. When you get to the pier
they'll ask for a credit card. Tell them you plan on paying cash and
they'll direct you to the Purser's desk. When you get on board, head
to the Purser's desk and give them a few hundred. Then simply keep an
eye on your expenses on the TV in your stateroom. Typically we need to
get home you have no bills coming in to pay.

Ah but if they take Discovercard, you get money back while you spend
money. Even Chase VISA is starting a rewards program like Discover.
Also, I don't think that Debit cards will insure your purchases the way
that many credit cards do. It is possible to keep a budget with a
credit card. You just keep track of your expenses the way you would
with a Debit card.

--
____
Brian M. Kochera
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Diana

How right you are. Noticed this my last cruise with Celebrity about 6
holds that sat there until the final bill cleared. The same thing would
happen to your debit.

Allen