Windy on balcony??

Old September 9th, 2007, 04:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cathy[_4_]

Default Windy on balcony??

This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm asking it anyway.
How windy does it get on the balcony of a cruise ship when the ship is
at sea? Is it like driving down the freeway in a convertible, where
it's so windy you can't open your eyes? Or is it just a pleasant
breeze. I've never been on a cruise before, and am planning to give it
a try next July (Mexican Riviera). I think I would like a balcony, but
I'm wondering if people actually use them, or is it too windy?

Thanks.

Old September 9th, 2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

They don't face forward. They are on the side of the ship (or aft).

A foward facing balcony could have that problem.

--Tom

Old September 9th, 2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cathy[_4_]

Thank you Tom. That makes sense!

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 23:43:07 -0400, "Tom K"
wrote:

They don't face forward. They are on the side of the ship (or aft).

A foward facing balcony could have that problem.

--Tom

.. .

Old September 9th, 2007, 06:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 9/9/2007 12:05 AM Cathy exclaimed:

"Cathy" wrote in message

This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm asking it anyway.
How windy does it get on the balcony of a cruise ship when the ship is
at sea? Is it like driving down the freeway in a convertible, where
it's so windy you can't open your eyes? Or is it just a pleasant
breeze. I've never been on a cruise before, and am planning to give it
a try next July (Mexican Riviera). I think I would like a balcony, but
I'm wondering if people actually use them, or is it too windy?

Thanks.

One Tip: Don't open the cabin door and the door to the balcony at the
same time. It produces an effect where the air from outside blows into
the cabin very strongly and out into the companion way (hallway).
Closing the balcony door will require some effort with the cabin door open.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Cathy wrote:
This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm asking it anyway.
How windy does it get on the balcony of a cruise ship when the ship is
at sea? Is it like driving down the freeway in a convertible, where
it's so windy you can't open your eyes? Or is it just a pleasant
breeze. I've never been on a cruise before, and am planning to give it
a try next July (Mexican Riviera). I think I would like a balcony, but
I'm wondering if people actually use them, or is it too windy?

Cathy, it all depends on the weather and also the construction of the
balcony. On the Azamara Journey on a very windy day, it was lovely on
our balcony.

sue
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_2_]

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Cathy wrote:
This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm asking it anyway.
How windy does it get on the balcony of a cruise ship when the ship is
at sea? Is it like driving down the freeway in a convertible, where
it's so windy you can't open your eyes? Or is it just a pleasant
breeze. I've never been on a cruise before, and am planning to give it
a try next July (Mexican Riviera). I think I would like a balcony, but
I'm wondering if people actually use them, or is it too windy?

Cathy, it all depends on the weather and also the construction of the
balcony. On the Azamara Journey on a very windy day, it was lovely on our
balcony.

sue

Usually you are only traveling at about 22-25 knots top speed. Not like
going 70 on the freeway. It is under 30 mph.

Old September 9th, 2007, 01:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mike[_1_]

Cathy wrote:
This is probably a really stupid question, but I'm asking it anyway.
How windy does it get on the balcony of a cruise ship when the ship is
at sea? Is it like driving down the freeway in a convertible, where
it's so windy you can't open your eyes? Or is it just a pleasant
breeze. I've never been on a cruise before, and am planning to give it
a try next July (Mexican Riviera). I think I would like a balcony, but
I'm wondering if people actually use them, or is it too windy?

Thanks.

naw - you'll enjoy it. They're on the side and will enjoy leaning over
the railing watching the sea and other ships.
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dean Worrell[_2_]

m...

Cathy wrote:
[...]

A LOT will depend on the current conditions. If you are sailing at 20
knots into a 20 knot wind, it will be very windy on deck--you may have
trouble walking around. If, on the other hand, you're sailing at 20
knots with a 20 knot tailwind, it will be totally calm on deck.

Be that as it may, the few times I've had a balcony it wasn't that
windy out on it.

Dean in Peoria

Old September 9th, 2007, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Harry Cooper

Don't worry about the wind on your balcony unless you leave your hallway
door open, in which case the draft can get very strong. We always get
balcony suites for the space and the view of the ocean. I spend hours
watching the ocean go by, counting flying fish, relaxing. Have a great
time.

Harry Cooper

Old September 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cathy[_4_]

Thanks Harry - that's what I like to hear. I know a lot of people say
that you're only in your room to dress and sleep, but I want to have a
place to be alone or just with my family. I always get hotel rooms
with balconies - my ultimate vacation treat is to sit on a the balcony
with a cup of coffee and a good book at the crack of dawn, while the
rest of the family sleeps in. This is how I envision my days at sea
too - it doesn't take much to make me happy on vacation!

Thanks again.

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 10:35:29 -0400, "Harry Cooper"
wrote:

Don't worry about the wind on your balcony unless you leave your hallway
door open, in which case the draft can get very strong. We always get
balcony suites for the space and the view of the ocean. I spend hours
watching the ocean go by, counting flying fish, relaxing. Have a great
time.

Harry Cooper

.. .